TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Announcements for 2016?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone thinking the entrance to Potter's Alley is the entrance to the bathroom though.

Once, just once, I want someone to go through the entrance and see some guy taking a whizz on the wall.

Well if I ever go back I could totally do that. I should have done it in the train station though then it would have been a super realistic recreation of London.

• 2 weeks later...

Valleyfair's 2016 announcement. There are no words to describe how enraged I am by this! Even if it wasn't a coaster (Gasp!), they could have done a LITTLE MORE for their 40th anniversary! I mean HONESTLY! Talk about LAME! If they did do more, like at least 2 family rides, or maybe a medium thrill ride, then I would be less mad. This doesn't have much to do with the 2016 announcement, but it is now 20 years since our last steel (Not counting family rides or steel venom, which is more of a flat than a coaster), and 9 years since our last coaster at all! I wish valleyfair would look at those facebook comments! That's my honest opinion on valleyfair's 2016 announcement, and I'm not planning on changing my mind. /rant

Most of Cedar Fair's 2016 announcements were pretty lackluster.

I would have to agree. Although they do spend more than Six Flags occasionally on a park, I do like how Six Flags consistently adds a new ride to every park every year, along with general improvements especially to parks that don't get huge additions. If you have a Six Flags as a home park you don't get those "we are doing nothing for next season" years.

Michigan's Adventure with the first lottery pick in the 2016 draft select, oh wait there draft choice has been traded for general improvements and a first round pick in 2022

Or basically...we are the Detroit Lions of the amusement park industry?

Michigan's Adventure with the first lottery pick in the 2016 draft select, oh wait there draft choice has been traded for general improvements and a first round pick in 2022

At least the park has more coasters than the Lions have Super Bowl appearances.

THIS. :

THIS. :

Only in Michigan.

For me the two are Larson Loop SFSTL and Valravn at Cedar Point. I won't go into the Larson one as I'm sure that one explains itself. While Valravn looks like it should be at minimum a great coaster if it is anything like my exprience with Griffon at BGW, but why another floorless type one year after Rougarou? The park is outstanding in the steel department, what it needs is either a RMC wood or Intamin Prefabricated Wooden coaster as Mean Streak is very disappointing and Blue Streak is just okay. I don't like that the family attractions are being sacrificed for this either. It is one thing to trade in one old family attraction for a new current market one, but I fear this could move the park towards loosing its balance between the two as it is both a good family and high adrenaline coaster park. If they wanted Valravn, in my opinion, they should have either put it at a more needing park in their line-up or installed it at Cedar Point and moved Rougarou to a more needing park and turned that region into a new family attraction location.

If Cedar Point (the innovator/benchmarker park park) wants a new steel coaster why not something new like why not a S&S Free Fly X, RMC i-Trex, or anything RMC, etc.? Why a segment that is over 10 years old with the most modest upgrades over the prior ones featured? It just doesn't feel right to me. Other than that, I'm sorry but I want something other than just off the shelf models from B&M from Cedar Fair in segments innovated 10-15 years ago that I can already experience at other parks. I know I am spoiled, I just want some more variety. They are being one upped in my eyes by Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom. They are offering what historically Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom would get and Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom are the ones pushing the innovative envelope. In this, they are potentially being out performed in intensity by smaller family parks.

I know I am spoiled, I just want some more variety. They are being one upped in my eyes by Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom. They are offering what historically Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom would get and Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom are the ones pushing the innovative envelope. In this, they are potentially being out performed in intensity by smaller family parks.

Kentucky Kingdom I'll give you, but Dollywood is in a very different market. It should be noted that Valravn is the only coaster of its kind in Cedar Point's region, and the closest similar coaster west of the park is Cannibal all the way in Utah. Both Busch Gardens parks are in a different market to Cedar Point as well.

I wouldn't say that Cedar Point is being "one-upped", but Valravn definitely seems underwhelming.

For me the two are Larson Loop SFSTL and Valravn at Cedar Point. I won't go into the Larson one as I'm sure that one explains itself. While Valravn looks like it should be at minimum a great coaster if it is anything like my exprience with Griffon at BGW, but why another floorless type one year after Rougarou? The park is outstanding in the steel department, what it needs is either a RMC wood or Intamin Prefabricated Wooden coaster as Mean Streak is very disappointing and Blue Streak is just okay. I don't like that the family attractions are being sacrificed for this either. It is one thing to trade in one old family attraction for a new current market one, but I fear this could move the park towards loosing its balance between the two as it is both a good family and high adrenaline coaster park. If they wanted Valravn, in my opinion, they should have either put it at a more needing park in their line-up or installed it at Cedar Point and moved Rougarou to a more needing park and turned that region into a new family attraction location.

If Cedar Point (the innovator/benchmarker park park) wants a new steel coaster why not something new like why not a S&S Free Fly X, RMC i-Trex, or anything RMC, etc.? Why a segment that is over 10 years old with the most modest upgrades over the prior ones featured? It just doesn't feel right to me. Other than that, I'm sorry but I want something other than just off the shelf models from B&M from Cedar Fair in segments innovated 10-15 years ago that I can already experience at other parks. I know I am spoiled, I just want some more variety. They are being one upped in my eyes by Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom. They are offering what historically Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom would get and Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom are the ones pushing the innovative envelope. In this, they are potentially being out performed in intensity by smaller family parks.

You do realize that they relocated most of the rides in Valravn's space to other areas of the park? The Turnpike cars were removed, but they still have the Antique cars (and I believe Cadillac Cars). The only other casualty was the Good Time Theater which had served it's useful purpose throughout the years. I am sure that most coaster and theme park fans would sacrifice those two attractions for a dive coaster any day of the week.

And comparing Rougarou to a dive coaster just seems plain silly to me. Yes, they are both floor-less, they have loops and they are both made by B&M, but that is where the comparisons would stop. If you make that comparison, you might as well throw Gatekeeper and Raptor into the mix as well.

851649518_losevsloose.png.c4dce643c9173826ea0d653d3eae2513.png

Oh...and this.