TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

That One Ride You Just Can't Enjoy...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any stand up coaster, or a time warp ride. Both are beyond uncomfortable to me.

I thought SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland was an amazing stand-up coaster considering it was manufactured by TOGO as it gave a comfortable ride and gave quite a bit of airtime. I'm glad to see it got a second life at Cavallino Matto as Freestyle in Italy. As for a "time warp ride" I think you are referring to the Chance Double Inverter. Those rides do look uncomfortable as all they do is just go around and flip upside down slowly for a long duration of time. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy rides that go upside down and sometimes hold you suspended but, I don't overly enjoy upside down rides that have repetitive ride cycles.

^^^Gatekeeper might be the smoothest coaster I've ever ridden. I'll never understand the complaints about roughness. Someone please explain this to me.

I agree with you. We have never had a rough ride on Gatekeeper. It is smooth as glass.

The only reason I could see if someone complaining about the coaster being rough is if they were on a train with a bad wheel or something.

^^^Gatekeeper might be the smoothest coaster I've ever ridden. I'll never understand the complaints about roughness. Someone please explain this to me.

I agree with you. We have never had a rough ride on Gatekeeper. It is smooth as glass.

The only reason I could see if someone complaining about the coaster being rough is if they were on a train with a bad wheel or something.

My front seat rides have been consistently smooth, but I've found Mr. Hyde in the back-half of the train. I don't know why, but there are times when the wing arrangement itself seems to bounce and vibrate, making my head uncomfortably carom against the back of the headrest. It's not ear-bashing like you'd get from Togo, but there's a consistent, sluggish juddering that's most noticeable in the valleys between elements. "Rough" might be a bridge too far, but "disappointingly sluggish" is how I would describe it.

1. Maverick

2. I305

3. The Voyage

Wow... Sounds like you're having a terribly sad time enjoying amazing coasters. Sucks for you, dude

When you've ridden as many as I have, you don't have to "like" a coaster just because everyone else does. There are much more satisfying coasters out there for me.

I understand that, and I know coasters can be overrated. But saying you can't enjoy Maverick or I305 is insane to me, and that's coming from someone who's ridden a lot of coasters as well. How many have you ridden?

EDIT: Also, needing to go completely against the grain on popular opinions doesn't make you cool, it just invalidates your opinion. Never trust anyone who "hates" the Beatles! You may not think I305 or Maverick are the best coasters out there, but there's no way you just can't enjoy them. I think it's so dumb when people are anti-Skyrush or anti-Maverick or whatever... Like those are the worst coasters on Earth or something...

I think it has the do with the length and weight of the trains and the positive Gs.. because they're so long and so heavy, the acceleration feels like being shoved down the hills instead of gliding down them. And it does the B&M thing of constantly going from one hill / inversion tot eh next, so you never really get to maintain any speed... it's a constant volley between speeding up and slowing down. The seat felt like it was bouncing a little bit with the forces (which makes sense, being a wind coaster and all). I tried to twice, and it was slightly better in the front, but I did not love it.

Most B&M and Vekoma flying coasters. I just don't trust the way they're built. Everytime I'm in the downward facing position, I always feel like the weight of the cars is gonna break off of the track. The only flying coaster I really did enjoy was Soarin' Eagle at Luna Park, and that was built by Zamperala. But the reason why I enjoyed that one more was because I thought the weight of the cars felt a bit more in balance, and you're laying on the cars rather than above or below them.

1. Maverick

2. I305

3. The Voyage

Wow... Sounds like you're having a terribly sad time enjoying amazing coasters. Sucks for you, dude

When you've ridden as many as I have, you don't have to "like" a coaster just because everyone else does. There are much more satisfying coasters out there for me.

I understand that, and I know coasters can be overrated. But saying you can't enjoy Maverick or I305 is insane to me, and that's coming from someone who's ridden a lot of coasters as well. How many have you ridden?

EDIT: Also, needing to go completely against the grain on popular opinions doesn't make you cool, it just invalidates your opinion. Never trust anyone who "hates" the Beatles! You may not think I305 or Maverick are the best coasters out there, but there's no way you just can't enjoy them. I think it's so dumb when people are anti-Skyrush or anti-Maverick or whatever... Like those are the worst coasters on Earth or something...

Probably a good thing that I don't care about "being cool" then.

Skyrush would be another coaster that I cannot enjoy.

EDIT: Reread your post.

I crossed the 650 mark this summer, so that a and some change.

I haven't ridden Maverick with the new harnesses so it might be better now, but the pacing of the ride is not enjoyable to me. I305's grey outs are not fun. I don't enjoy that. I've tried all the high g tricks (that work with aerobatics) and haven't been successful at minimizing it on I305. Sorry not fun for me.

Voyage has never been fun for me. I rerode it this summer going it was better and nope. I don't like rough wooden coasters. This one is rough and stupid intense. Sorry for being spoiled by Outlaw Run now to where I demand smooth woodies. For the record - Timber Wolf and The Boss are horrible in my book too.

Skyrush bruised my legs something fierce. That should be self explanatory

Edited by PhantomPoster32

1. Maverick

2. I305

3. The Voyage

Probably a good thing that I don't care about "being cool" then.

Skyrush would be another coaster that I cannot enjoy.

IMG_20151110_072325.thumb.jpg.e9a36ba09c419f62576f5ad81871854d.jpg

Vizzini: "Incontheivable!" I like your Beatles take, and going against the grain is certainly one social posturing tactic that's out there, but the highly rated group of coasters that PhantomPoster32 mentioned are all rides that aren't everyone's cup of tea. The difference might be subtle, but not finding enjoyment in certain coasters is not the same thing as hating those rides. SkyRush, Maverick, i305, and Voyage are all aggressive, three carry one manufacturer's style, and each has cited quirks that have hindered experiences for some people. In fact, every single one has been tinkered with due to rider discomfort. I personally enjoy them, but none of those coasters garner unanimous adoration.

Having said that, PhantomPoster32 -- dropping a bundle of big-reputation coasters and then not expounding with any reasoning may have created a perception that you were trying merely to stir the pot, even if you weren't intending to do that.

------------------------------

Personally, I'll join a few members by offering flying coasters. The experience always feels clunkier than the concept, they never capture that sky coaster soaring sensation, and any stacking in the brake run quickly becomes uncomfortable. I'd like to try the StingRay and Starry-Fifty-Names-Magic-Rip, which have had better reviews, but I haven't yet found enjoyment with the flying gimmick.

Flying Dutchmen, because they are uncomfortable and make me sick.

Legend, because it beats the sh** out of me.

Any motion simulator, because they make me sick. Especially Europe in the Air where this past summer I almost threw up from an attraction for the first time in my life.

I actually have a laundry list of attractions I don't care for, but these are the worst for me. Most coasters are just 'one and done' for me. If I have a park where I have at least 3 or 4 coasters that I want to re ride, that's a winning park for me. BGW is the only park I've ever been to where every coaster was worthy of multiple rides.

Flying Dutchmen, because they are uncomfortable and make me sick.

Legend, because it beats the sh** out of me.

Any motion simulator, because they make me sick. Especially Europe in the Air where this past summer I almost threw up from an attraction for the first time in my life.

I actually have a laundry list of attractions I don't care for, but these are the worst for me. Most coasters are just 'one and done' for me. If I have a park where I have at least 3 or 4 coasters that I want to re ride, that's a winning park for me. BGW is the only park I've ever been to where every coaster was worthy of multiple rides.

I agree with you. The Vekoma Flyers really stink, definitely one and done. I also think BGWs line up is very very solid. Consistently enjoyable coasters. The same can be said for BGT too!

I would have to say the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management at the Magic Kingdom. I saw it once and vowed never again. If I had to choose between watching it and standing in the rain, I'd rather stand in the rain. Thankfully, the show reverted back to its original show.

I still love it, but I can't enjoy Xcelerator at Knott's properly because I black out every freaking time. I've been on the thing at least 50 times, but for some reason, I can't keep my vision through the whole ride. I'm good through the launch and the top hat, but then everything starts going dark halfway through the first overbank, and I'm usually totally blind in the second overbank. Once we hit the brakes, it all comes back in about a second.

What am I doing wrong?

^Work on circulation of blood to your brain. Practice thinking really hard, that usually helps increase stamina.

I'm not the type of guy to not ride a roller coaster, so usually I'm kicking myself (literally) half way through every Arrow Mine Train (other than the one at SFStL) as I slam my knees into the middle bar for the 6th or 7th time heading into the unnecessary 3rd lift hill. I hate those things.

Skyrush. Like many have said, the layout and forces are great, but the restraints kill the experience.

At risk of being controversial, I'm gonna say most of the rides at the Walt Disney World parks. There isn't anything WRONG with the rides, I just prefer thrill rides and coasters, plus I'm not really impressed with theming, animatronics, or the "story" of the rides. Space Mountain and Tower of Terror are the only rides that I've ridden that I'd willingly wait in line for (still haven't had the chance to ride Rocken Rollercoaster)

I think that we can all agree that Chance Toboggans are just absolutely hellish

Also, go-carts. If I wanted to experience thrills and adrenaline while driving I'd just go on I-4

Any B&M Hyper Coaster. I don't know what it is about that particular model of coaster, but after every ride on one, I have thrown up. And it doesn't matter if I ate right before or 5 hours before. Also, Batman Backwards did the same to me. I almost threw up before the coaster got back to the station.