TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Kings Dominion Haunt & VIP Dinner

Wait! Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Haunts are all INCLUDED with day passes and regular season passes? How long has this been? Always? If so, then why have Canada's Wonderland season pass holders, as well as the general public, been paying for our Haunt? I know Wonderland considers it a 'special event', but I, and my brother have been paying for Haunt since Cedar Fair bought Wonderland back in 2006 and even before that as well when it was Fearfest. Hmmmmm, I wonder how many Canadian Cedar Fair season pass holders know about this. This doesn't seem 'fair'. (get it?) Your 'free' Haunts even have more monsters and mazes than we do. Something doesn't seem right. We even had our Haunt cut back this year, less monsters, no scarezones, no Haunt merchandise, and yet, season pass holders still paid around $32.99. Yep, something is not right.

Oh, by the way,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

As far as I am aware, there are 3 Cedar Fair Parks that have their Halloween event as a separate admission; Knott's Berry Farm, Canada's Wonderland, and Carowinds. All other parks in the chain, that host a Halloween event in the fall, include it in the park's general admission ticket.

The 1st Halloween event at Kings Dominion under Paramount was Fear Fest in 2000(?). There was a separate admission for it. Attendance was poor that first year. The second year, and going forward, it was included in the general admission ticket. I thought Busch Gardens started their Halloween event around that same time. I believe their event was included in the general admission ticket. With poor attendance the 1st year and with BGW having their event included in the GA, Kings Dominion's Fear Fest / Halloween Haunt has been included in the general admission ever since.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I never checked out "Fearfest" at Paramount Kings Dominion. That being said, KD at Cedar Fair puts on a pretty good Haunt, and I like the direction they're taking with improved food offerings. The Blood Banquet at Busch Gardens was a pretty good spread, too.

A message from PATTYCAKES brother:

Yeah, Canada's Wonderland Haunt, up to this year, is amazing. That is not my issue. Fearfest attendance at Wonderland was so low, I actually thought they would have stopped it, if Cedar Fair hadn't bought the park in 2006. My point is this, last year, the attendance at Wonderland's Haunt was just insane! I don't know the actually number, but on the last Saturday, I estimate the number to be around 40,000-50,000 easily. Wonderland makes huge amounts of money on Haunt, however, is it fair that some parks charge for Haunt and some don't? By the way, even though I have never been, I would still pay to go to Knott's Scary Farm as I think that is the best and biggest Haunt in the chain.

^I'm not sure that an "upcharge" Haunt or Howl-o-Scream would fly in this part of Virginia. I know that if BGW or KD wanted to do a separate-ticket HOS or Haunt, I would definitely expect more for my money than what they do now. As it stands, both parks make quite a bit of profit on food and drink sales (and Quick Queue and Fast Lane), so I don't think there's much reason to do a separate-ticket event.

Hang on, I'm not saying other parks should add an upcharge for Haunt. I'm just asking, does it seem fair that some parks upcharge for Haunt and some don't? Wonderland makes huge profits for food and beverage at Haunt, but no Haunt merchandise this year. I have never had a problem with paying for Wonderland's Haunt, I think it is one of the best Cedar Fair Haunt's in the chain. I just don't know if it is fair, that's all. Wonderland does have a Haunt Season Pass, where you can pay one price to go to every night of Haunt, but you folks at KD, KI, Knott's wouldn't need that. Is that fair? My brother also thinks it is not fair that Knott's Haunt guests can see Elvira for free when he is willing to pay to see her. Actually, my brother met Elvira a few years back in Toronto.

Hang on, I'm not saying other parks should add an upcharge for Haunt. I'm just asking, does it seem fair that some parks upcharge for Haunt and some don't? Wonderland makes huge profits for food and beverage at Haunt, but no Haunt merchandise this year. I have never had a problem with paying for Wonderland's Haunt, I think it is one of the best Cedar Fair Haunt's in the chain. I just don't know if it is fair, that's all. Wonderland does have a Haunt Season Pass, where you can pay one price to go to every night of Haunt, but you folks at KD, KI, Knott's wouldn't need that. Is that fair? My brother also thinks it is not fair that Knott's Haunt guests can see Elvira for free when he is willing to pay to see her. Actually, my brother met Elvira a few years back in Toronto.

As I stated in my earlier post, Knott's Haunt event is a separate admission to get into the park (along with Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland). I thought KBF offered a Haunt season pass too.

I understand that you and your brother feel that paying another park admission to experience their Haunt event is not fair. I assume Cedar Fair does analysis, for each park in the chain, about the regional demographics as to whether a separate admission fee for Haunt would work. If it makes business sense to charge another admission fee, then I assume Cedar Fair will tell the park to do so. I suggest you and your brother email the park / Cedar Fair about your concerns.

Are the Cedar Fair haunts all stupid busy on the OTHER haunt nights or just Saturdays/(Fridays?)?

I copied my response to a person asking the same thing on Kings Dominion's Facebook timeline. This pertains to Kings Dominion only.

If your focus is on experiencing Haunt, I strongly suggest going on Friday night. The park is open 7:00 pm till midnight. The crowds are MUCH lower than on Saturday's. Plus, if you are not a season pass holder, the ticket prices are lower as well. I'll give some tips, based on what I have experienced in Haunt in years past.

Friday Evenings | 7 pm - Midnight:

No where near the crowds on Saturdays! If you arrive before 7 pm, do not freak out if you see long lines at the entrance gate. The park starts letting folks through the turnstiles about 10-15 minutes before 7.

Based on my past experiences on Friday evenings, the crowds are like night and day when compared to Saturdays. I think I did all 9 mazes and walked through all scare-zones within 2 hours. Had time to see a couple shows, ride some rides, and go back through a few of my favorite Haunt mazes a second time. Keep in mind that the park is open only during Haunt hours. The kids area, Planet Snoopy, is NOT open and NO day-time activities for young kids on Friday evenings.

Saturdays | 10:30 am - Midnight

Best only if Friday evenings and Sundays don't work for you. I would suggest to go EARLY during the fall Haunt event. Usually, the first 2 weekends are not too bad crowd wise. The last 3 Saturdays of Haunt, in my opinion, are crazy! If you have young children and just want to do the kids Halloween stuff during the day, it is not bad through early afternoon. Crowds start to increase after 3 pm as the Haunt hours grow near. Keep in mind that about half of the Haunt mazes open at 6 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. The rest of the mazes and all the scare-zones open at 7 pm.

Sundays | 10:30 am - 10:00 pm

Crowds are no where near the levels of those on Saturdays. You have the same children's daytime Halloween activities. Like on Saturdays, about 1/2 the mazes open at 6 pm with the rest of the mazes and all scare-zones at 7 pm. Course, the park closes at 10 pm and most folks have school and work the following day and don't want to stay out too late; but, I think you could do way more Haunt stuff on Sundays than what you could do on a Saturday. Plus, park admission is lower than on Saturdays.

Of all the Cedar Fair parks I've been to for Haunts, Cedar Point does the best job of it. I live close enough to Wonderland that I could go several times a year but usually go only once during the summer. I'd love to check out their Haunt but won't do so unless they make it free for pass holders. I could live with it being a separate event but having to pay extra on top of what I paid for a Platinum Pass is unacceptable. Perhaps if enough pass holders complained to management they'd at least change the policy for season and Platinum Pass holders.

Peabody, I guarantee that 99% of the people that go to Wonderland's Haunt, don't know that some other Cedar Fair Haunts are free. Season Pass holders now get a reduced price for Haunt, but on Fridays, that reduced price this year, compared to the non-season pass online price was only $1.00. A free admission (or even 1/2 price) for SP holders would be way more fair, however, I know Wonderland makes huge money from Haunt so I really don't see that happening any time soon, even if people complained.

One more question, say at KI, KD and CP, do alot of young kids stay for Haunt or do you think most parents know it is not for 13 and under?

One thing I noticed about Carowinds' Haunt is it's also open more days. I didn't look this year and it's not on the site anymore, but I remember seeing the park open Wednesday night of the last week before Halloween. Or at least Thursday.

As to the previous post about when to go to the park, I agree except for Saturday, if you can only go then, find something else to do.

Peabody, I guarantee that 99% of the people that go to Wonderland's Haunt, don't know that some other Cedar Fair Haunts are free. Season Pass holders now get a reduced price for Haunt, but on Fridays, that reduced price this year, compared to the non-season pass online price was only $1.00. A free admission (or even 1/2 price) for SP holders would be way more fair, however, I know Wonderland makes huge money from Haunt so I really don't see that happening any time soon, even if people complained.

One more question, say at KI, KD and CP, do alot of young kids stay for Haunt or do you think most parents know it is not for 13 and under?

There were a good many younger children staying for the Haunt when I was at Cedar Point in September. They were even selling light-up necklaces so the scare actors would know not to scare anyone wearing one. I saw many full-grown adults wearing them, which made me question the point of their even being there.

Yeah, Wonderland had them too, actually that was the ONLY Haunt merchandise they had this year, not even any 5 year old stuff, like they usually have. How about you guys? Did you see any NEW haunt merchandise this year? Any pins?

Cedar Point had T-shirts, sweatshirts and hoodies themed for Halloweekends, and a lot of Peanuts Halloween merchendise. I didn't notice any pins as I'm not really into pins. They did have some new patches, so I picked up one for Rougarou, Wicked Twister and the Cedar Creek Mine Ride.