TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite B&M roller coaster at Cedar Point?

What do you consider the best B&M coaster at Cedar Point (excludes Valravn)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider the best B&M coaster at Cedar Point (excludes Valravn)

• Rougarou/Mantis
    • Gatekeeper
    • Raptor

I am taking this poll because when most people refer to the best B&M coaster at Cedar Point results vary from Raptor to Gatekeeper and sometimes even Rougarou so I want to see what most coaster enthusiasts think opposed to the GP who seem to heavily favor Gatekeeper. I will not be including Valravn because no one has ridden it yet and also it is obviously going to be the best in most people's opinions. A good chunk of coaster enthusiasts have been to Cedar Point so many will be able to honestly answer this poll. Lastly, I will state my opinion. I heavily prefer Gatekeeper because I judge most coasters not on intensity, but on enjoy-ability that is unless it is a ride specifically meant for intensity like Maverick or Fury325. Besides, Gatekeeper is so beautiful.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Raptor guy. The back-right seat has that fun flinging sensation off of the lift, there's a good variety of elements, and it has that coveted "old school B&M" aura and ride experience. Even with a little bit of headbanging, I prefer that style of B&M restraint, as well. I put Raptor right up there with Magnum for what I consider to be a great 4-5 punch in the lineup, behind The Three Little Intamins.

I admire how Rougarou hits the positive Gs with a lead foot. The forces and tight layout can be appreciated much more since the agreeable conversion, and I like the ride overall. Maybe it's been done for Halloweekends, but I'd really like to see an effective cloud of fog pumped into that twisty second half.

Opinions are like , but I'm not a big Gatekeeper fan. It's a beautiful coaster that's pleasant to ride in the front, but I think it plods along a repetitive layout, is a bit nauseating, gets noticeably bumpy the farther back I sit, and just packs it in after the MCBR. I've suggested this before, but a small speed hill (think Hair Raiser/Shambhala/Flug der Damonen) in place of the current camelback would have helped in the variety and pacing departments. With older layouts like Kumba and Nemesis, B&M composed with such fluidity, mastery, and grace that I think that some of those rides are pure art. Coasters like Led Zeppelin and Gatekeeper just feel like patched-together composites of large elements, without the sense of design rhythm that made the early B&Ms flow so well. *

* Just my opinion! I know a lot of people who enjoy Gatekeeper.

I used to be a real Raptor fanboy; the ride has a spectacular and complete layout. However, in recent years, it just seems to move quite a bit slower than it used to. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or if it's being caused by age/rust.

Gatekeeper is a beautiful coaster. And the way it fills out the front gate, superb. I've had some really good rides on it, but whenever I seem to get a good forceful ride, I get this weird "bouncy" feeling. It's not that B&M rattle, its something else. It feels like the wing is literally bouncing up and down, and it hurts my coccyx. I broke it 11 years ago, so that may be part of the problem, but either way, its the only steel coaster I've experienced this on.

My vote goes for Rou. It has plenty of G's, a loud ass roar, and some really great snappy transitions. Plus the layout seems a lot more inspired than many newer beemers, with all the twists in place of copy-paste "elements". Really great layout.

I imagine Valravn will beat it though next year, as I have a real penchant for dive machines

I also pick Raptor. Back right seat is great for the whip off the lift hill and the layout just feels more fluid. Did not want to go to CP this year so I can't say if Rougarou changes that but even though Mantis was bad I've always liked its layout, which is why I put it second. I like Gatekeeper but it comes in third in the B&M bunch and it's a much better ride at night.

My vote goes to Gatekeeper. It is by far my favorite B&M Coaster at Cedar Point. Don't get me wrong Raptor is a good ride, and Rougarou is decent... But for us Gatekeeper was the most memorable, and the one we wanted to re-ride the most. The huge lift hill, and the inversion at the top was awesome in the front row, it was really smooth, and very enjoyable. Granted it wasn't incredibly forceful, and full of airtime, but it was overall very enjoyable. Raptor was good, and very forceful, but it is not something we wanted to re-ride that day. IMO: Rougarou is by far the least impressive B&M Coaster at Cedar Point. There is nothing in the layout that really makes it stand out... It's kind of just... there. We rode it once, and had no desire to re-ride it.

Obviously these are just my opinions, and I know I am in the minority here... but Gatekeeper was by far the best B&M coaster at Cedar Point for us!! (Not to mention it looks the best in photos)

I'll be in the minority here, but after riding all three quite a few times, I still put Mantis/Rou in the front. I actually think Raptor kicks your ass a little more than Rougarou does and I really like positive Gs and the quick transitions that the former standup coaster still delivers.

Though Gatekeeper is a public winner and makes for a dramatic entrance to the park, I thought the ride was pretty boring and after 2-3 rides it actually made me kind of sick, which barely ever happens to me on coasters.

Raptor wins hands down for me. No other B&M in the park has me giggling that much, because it's so perfectly paced and intense and just awesome all the way to that snap into the brakes. Also, that first drop in the far right side of the train is to die for...

However, Rougarou comes in a VERY close second to the point of almost being tied with me. The floorless conversion absolutely did wonders for that ride and turned it into one of the most solid B&M loopers out there. The ride especially shines in the positive g realm. The only reason I have it below Raptor is because the ride does sort of peter out toward the end, but it's still really solid.

While I am a GateKeeper fan, it just doesn't stack up to the old-school B&M's for me.

Edited by SFOGdude25

I haven't yet ridden Rougarou, but I was always a huge Mantis fan. I really like how the layout doesn't just give up in the second half. Even with one inversion, it always stayed intense with those fast transitions that I found thrilling but I guess many found painful. While I was sad to lose the standup aspect, I am excited to try it out one day soon as a floorless.

Raptor is an easy second place. Gatekeeper's pretty but doesn't do much of anything beyond that.

Hard to pick between Raptor & Mantis- I'll get the chance to see what Rougarou is all about in a few days. As for Gatekeeper, the only redeeming qualities is has are aesthetic, and that it eats people towards the front of the park. Beyond that, it resides in the same realm as Superman Ultimate Flight and Led Zeppelin. It would be a great beginners coaster to take your kids on if only a lower height restriction could be implemented safely.

Uh, I'll out myself as part of the minority voting for Gatekeeper. Maybe it's because I haven't had enough laps on Raptor (compared to Gatekeeper), or maybe it was because I had not-so-great seats on Raptor, but I think I enjoyed Fenceholder more the last time I was at the park.

Raptor is definitely my favorite ride of the three. Fast, forceful, great layout, smooth, and a lot of fun, just like most other B&M inverts. Rougarou is also a very good ride, but it has some headbanging in the second half (doesn't ruin the ride, but it's a little annoying). Gatekeeper, while not very forceful, is still enjoyable and provides some thrills.

I'm definitely a GateKeeper guy! Not that I don't also really like Raptor (I put it above Magnum and TTD when it comes to ranking CP coasters), but I really enjoy the flow of GK, as well as the experience of what it does in traversing the front of the park. I also prefer the Wing Coaster riding experience to the Inverted, everywhere but the front (on the Invert). I think Rougarou is a massive improvement over Mantis, and Floorless Coasters are among my favorite styles, but the second half of that coaster still has too much headbanging for my taste (something downgrading Raptor as well). After getting some night rides in on Banshee a week ago, however, I think I'd put that above even GateKeeper though. Still, I love GK, and anticipate it remaining my favorite B&M at CP next year, even after Valravn opens!

I will also hop on the GateKeeper train here. It's my fourth favorite ride in the park behind the Intamin trio. Raptor is a close second. Was only able to get one lap on Rougarau and it didn't really stand out in a notable way.

Can't wait for Valravn, which looks like it has a real chance to be the best B&M in the park.

Raptor, easily. The quickness and intensity is matched only by Maverick.

Rougarou is a great modification to Mantis. I liked Mantis before, but re-rides would take a toll on you. No longer the case.

GateKeeper is a good ride, and fits the relax on the beach theme well. It's a must-ride, but not a must-ride-many-times like the other two.

I can only imagine Valravn will be closer to GateKeeper than Rougarou, but the view alone may be a redeeming quality unmatched by the other B&Ms.

Raptor all the way. Old school B&M intensity, best overall ride of the three, and it eats people who don't follow simple rules.

I like Gatekeeper, and it would probably be number one for me if it were a bit more intense.

Rougarou is not a bad ride at all, but it was pretty lame. Especially after waiting 90 minutes for it. It was definitely smooth and is very nicely themed (or at least photogenic). But the ride is not as forceful as I hoped, and there isn't really any "Wow" moments.