TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Equal Access Pass Eliminated As Of November 6 2015

As a person with Asperger's syndrome, I never like to use the EAP. I feel I can wait in a line just like anybody else and that I don't need special treatment because of my disability. I never like cutting in front of people in lines unless I use a Flash pass that I paid for (even though they are very expensive).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney not too long ago changed some of their policy too didn't they? I just know it was because of widespread abuse. Card holders were advertising on craigslist that they would take your whole party around the park with no waiting for some dollar amount.

Disney doesn't ask for a doctors note. They just made the policy more restrictive from the old "go up the exit and do whatever" that they used to have.

They are actually being sued by parents of autistic children who claim that any wait at all is not fair because their children can't comprehend why they can't go on the ride immediately when they see it...

I don't understand the debate here. This is a clear win-win for everyone, and not a money-grab by Six Flags. Those who are against this obviously have not seen what has become of the EAP at Six Flags. I know someone who works at one of the parks and they say that the EAP is the most stressful aspect of their job. On busy days, the lines in the exits of coasters are sometimes upwards of 30-60 minutes long. And that's not counting the 30-60 after the last ride that you waited before you could make your way up the exit. The lines just to get the passes are upwards of an hour long as well. The passes have become so abused that many of the people who use it don't even refer to it as any type of disability pass, but rather a flash pass. I know personally teenagers that admit that they abuse it just because its so easy to get, even though they admit that have no disability whatsoever. When schools take trips to the parks, usually almost every single group of kids will go and get an EAP.

So many people use the pass, that many coasters have a specific person who signs the passes and boards the riders from the exit. In fact, the EAP is a reason that capacity has gotten far worse over the past five or so years at SF parks. If there was less EAP traffic, (which there will now be), they could use that person for something else on the platform to increase capacity, and there won't be as many people boarding from the exit, which slows down operations.

Let's just say that I'm someone with a disability. I get to the park around 12-1, when it is starting to get busy. I need an EAP, so I go and get in line for one, and get one after 45 minutes. The assigned wait time for the day is 40 minutes. So now I wait 40 minutes and start making my way up the exit, where I now see that there is a line in the exit of about 40 people that have an EAP. So now I have to wait another 30 minutes before I can even get on the ride. So because of the current state of the pass, I just had to wait two hours from the time that I got in line to get the pass to when I could finally get on my first ride.

The point of ADA is so that persons with disabilities can have a theme park experience that is very similar to the one that a normal guest would have. If I were a typical guest, I could have gotten on multiple rides by the time that they got on one. I feel that if you are a guest who is going to be visiting a SF park, knowing that you are going to be using the disability pass, it is your responsibility to look up information about the pass on their website or call the park, so that you know what you have to do to receive a pass. So if you arrive to the park and then cannot obtain a pass because you don't have a note, it is partially their fault for not looking up what they need ahead of time.

Disabled guests who regularly visit the park and utilize the EAP will be grateful of this new policy, because it means that the process will be much easier for them. Regular guests who visit the park will be grateful of this new policy, because it means a shorter wait in line for them. I don't see how anyone could be negatively impacted by this. Getting a doctors note is as easy as shooting an email to your doctor and having them fax or email it to you. People won't be able to forge their own notes, SF will have a system in place ensure authenticity. I see this as a win for everyone, and look forward to being able to experience the results of this policy in person once it is in effect.

I don't understand the debate here. This is a clear win-win for everyone, and not a money-grab by Six Flags. Those who are against this obviously have not seen what has become of the EAP at Six Flags. I know someone who works at one of the parks and they say that the EAP is the most stressful aspect of their job. On busy days, the lines in the exits of coasters are sometimes upwards of 30-60 minutes long. And that's not counting the 30-60 after the last ride that you waited before you could make your way up the exit. The lines just to get the passes are upwards of an hour long as well. The passes have become so abused that many of the people who use it don't even refer to it as any type of disability pass, but rather a flash pass. I know personally teenagers that admit that they abuse it just because its so easy to get, even though they admit that have no disability whatsoever. When schools take trips to the parks, usually almost every single group of kids will go and get an EAP.

So many people use the pass, that many coasters have a specific person who signs the passes and boards the riders from the exit. In fact, the EAP is a reason that capacity has gotten far worse over the past five or so years at SF parks. If there was less EAP traffic, (which there will now be), they could use that person for something else on the platform to increase capacity, and there won't be as many people boarding from the exit, which slows down operations.

Let's just say that I'm someone with a disability. I get to the park around 12-1, when it is starting to get busy. I need an EAP, so I go and get in line for one, and get one after 45 minutes. The assigned wait time for the day is 40 minutes. So now I wait 40 minutes and start making my way up the exit, where I now see that there is a line in the exit of about 40 people that have an EAP. So now I have to wait another 30 minutes before I can even get on the ride. So because of the current state of the pass, I just had to wait two hours from the time that I got in line to get the pass to when I could finally get on my first ride.

The point of ADA is so that persons with disabilities can have a theme park experience that is very similar to the one that a normal guest would have. If I were a typical guest, I could have gotten on multiple rides by the time that they got on one. I feel that if you are a guest who is going to be visiting a SF park, knowing that you are going to be using the disability pass, it is your responsibility to look up information about the pass on their website or call the park, so that you know what you have to do to receive a pass. So if you arrive to the park and then cannot obtain a pass because you don't have a note, it is partially their fault for not looking up what they need ahead of time.

Disabled guests who regularly visit the park and utilize the EAP will be grateful of this new policy, because it means that the process will be much easier for them. Regular guests who visit the park will be grateful of this new policy, because it means a shorter wait in line for them. I don't see how anyone could be negatively impacted by this. Getting a doctors note is as easy as shooting an email to your doctor and having them fax or email it to you. People won't be able to forge their own notes, SF will have a system in place ensure authenticity. I see this as a win for everyone, and look forward to being able to experience the results of this policy in person once it is in effect.

This is a very fair take on the deal and I agree 100% with what was said here... I don't see a downside for this... Six Flags is making the right call on this deal...

I don't think anyone is questioning the reasoning behind it: it's clear there is plenty of abuse and it is great Six Flags is willing to try something so radical. But the law is still the law. I am just curious to see if this holds up when Six Flags is inevitably sued.

I feel that if you are a guest who is going to be visiting a SF park, knowing that you are going to be using the disability pass, it is your responsibility to look up information about the pass on their website or call the park, so that you know what you have to do to receive a pass. So if you arrive to the park and then cannot obtain a pass because you don't have a note, it is partially their fault for not looking up what they need ahead of time.

That's exactly the type of thing the law is designed to prevent. "It's the guests fault...they didn't bother to find the policy hidden on our website (you have to find the link on the guest relations section of the 'plan your visit' drop down, so it's not out in the open) or take extra time out of their day to call because they are disabled."

Getting a doctors note is as easy as shooting an email to your doctor and having them fax or email it to you.

That's not really the issue. The issue is whether or not it is legal for Six Flags to ask for the note. Not only might it be a violation of HIPAA to ask for medical certification you are disabled, it's also borderline discrimination. Let's say that you look like you might have a knee problem because you are walking slow. Ride Operator asks if you have read the warning signs...you say yes...he takes your word for it. No doctors note required to prove you are healthy enough to ride the ride.

I don't think anyone is questioning the reasoning behind it: it's clear there is plenty of abuse and it is great Six Flags is willing to try something so radical. But the law is still the law. I am just curious to see if this holds up when Six Flags is inevitably sued.

I feel that if you are a guest who is going to be visiting a SF park, knowing that you are going to be using the disability pass, it is your responsibility to look up information about the pass on their website or call the park, so that you know what you have to do to receive a pass. So if you arrive to the park and then cannot obtain a pass because you don't have a note, it is partially their fault for not looking up what they need ahead of time.

That's exactly the type of thing the law is designed to prevent. "It's the guests fault...they didn't bother to find the policy hidden on our website (you have to find the link on the guest relations section of the 'plan your visit' drop down, so it's not out in the open) or take extra time out of their day to call because they are disabled."

Getting a doctors note is as easy as shooting an email to your doctor and having them fax or email it to you.

That's not really the issue. The issue is whether or not it is legal for Six Flags to ask for the note. Not only might it be a violation of HIPAA to ask for medical certification you are disabled, it's also borderline discrimination. Let's say that you look like you might have a knee problem because you are walking slow. Ride Operator asks if you have read the warning signs...you say yes...he takes your word for it. No doctors note required to prove you are healthy enough to ride the ride.

Your situation is correct. If someone looks pregnant and they say they have read the warning signs, nothing can be done. They are boarding the ride from the regular entrance. But here they are asking for a pass that allows them to board through a separate entrance, so it can be treated differently. They're not denying them from being able to ride, they cannot obtain the pass because they did not bring a doctor's note. Everyone who wants a pass has to bring a note, so no one is being discriminated against. And its hardly hidden. Type 'Six Flags disability pass' into google. The information is the first link. SF is trying their best to get the word out too, its not like they're keeping it a secret. They sent it out in their email newsletter and they're telling everyone who asks for a pass until the policy takes effect.

Your situation is correct. If someone looks pregnant and they say they have read the warning signs, nothing can be done. They are boarding the ride from the regular entrance. But here they are asking for a pass that allows them to board through a separate entrance, so it can be treated differently. They're not denying them from being able to ride, they cannot obtain the pass because they did not bring a doctor's note.

Two things:

1. It can't be treated differently because that "separate" entrance is how they comply with the law. It Isn't a VIP line. The separate entrances are there because they didn't or couldn't (raised roller coaster stations make ramps difficult) build fully accessible queues, so offering the exit ramp or an elevator is the only way the rides are considered accessible. Older rides would be exempt if they were built prior to the ADA, but newer rides would literally not have been able to open (won't get an occupancy permit if you are not ADA compliant) without those entrances.

2. The disabled guest is still being asked to wait the same amount of time, so the argument of "regular line vs. separate entrance" doesn't mean anything.

My overall point is this: Six Flags is on a very slippery slope. I agree the system is heavily abused and that something needs to be done. I am just not sure if legally this is what it is.

Edited by Jew

WOW. A doctor's note just for a wait time pass. I have a feeling this won't last long. This honestly sounds like a combination ADA/HIPAA lawsuit waiting to happen. Tbh, I care less about the percentage of people abusing the system than I do about the HORRIFIC guest service of forcing someone with a disability to provide a doctor's note just for equal access.

Disney doesn't ask for a doctors note. They just made the policy more restrictive from the old "go up the exit and do whatever" that they used to have.

They are actually being sued by parents of autistic children who claim that any wait at all is not fair because their children can't comprehend why they can't go on the ride immediately when they see it...

For some reason, when I read this the image of Cartman in the Special Olympics popped into my head. Really, is there any group out there who doesn't feel they're more entitled than everyone else on the planet because of their particular challenge? Everyone has issues and some are more restrictive than others with regard to certain physically demanding activities. Would someone in an iron lung be entitled to sue a park over being denied access to a water slide? There's a point where catering to every special interest group becomes absurd, and I think we're close to it.

I've been with someone who's gotten an EAP pass at several Six Flags parks and at a few Cedar Fair parks (Kings Island, WoF...), and I've never noticed any of this. There was always either never a line to get the pass, or maybe one person ahead. And the lines at the rides were usually maybe a dozen people max (and often less).

I agree that a lot of people do abuse it, but it's never caused an issue for me, as a regular rider. As mentioned, it's not a cut in line pass, it's just waiting in a different location. And I think people will easily forge doctors notes. Next time you're at Walmart, notice how all the handicap spots are full. There are a lot of certain people who have the handicap placards now, too many for them to all be for a legitimate reason, so they'll have no problem getting doctors notes. So I don't really have a problem with or without the policy, but don't think it's going to help much. And I think there'll be longer lines at guest services now than before this policy.

And what exactly will the system to ensure authenticity look like? Are they going to call the doctor and make sure it's legit? What, short of that, could possibly prevent forgeries? The website tells you specifically what the note needs to have on it.

This whole situation reminds me of the King of Queens episode where "...Deacon, Arthur and Spence have a wonderful day at the amusement park, when they learn they can skip waiting in the long lines by putting Arthur in a wheelchair."

You can see both sides of the problem. The park wants everyone to have a fair experience without people abusing the policies in place. And then the guests who need those policies don't want to feel encroached upon by the park by making them run in circles because others decided to abuse it. Unfortunately, whichever way a particular park chain decides to handle this situation will not be completely, 100% pretty. Sometimes management has to make ugly decisions.

If someone forges a doctor's note just to get an ADA pass, well, there's a special place for them.

At least at OT it has become a bigger issue, especially on the weekends. I've met several out of town friends at the park over the last few months and the number of people who are able bodied running up to Justice League or Texas Giant with 5 of their friends in tow, or whatever ride, and getting straight on was astounding. These are people who clearly didn't have a return to ride time and were told to wait a few minutes and they would slide them in. Um, hey, the line is an hour long, wait the hour like everyone else! So in that respect, Six Flags is at fault, to an extent.

Now it would be easy to assume this rash of line cheating (look there are legit people who need the pass, i.e. walking disability, wheel chairs, etc so we aren't talking about those guys) was due to the influx of Californians to Texas who have gotten away with this at Disneyland for years, and that assumption is likely correct. I've overheard some of these people saying they had moved from California, so there you have it!

Its not about selling more flash passes, I mean let's face it, at OT there are only about 5 rides the flash pass is even worthy on. It's about people the number of people who have slowly started to cheat the system and get a pseudo flash pass by getting a ride time (well sometimes anyway!) and running off to ride something else and coming back.

Here is a prime example! Shockwave's main queue is ADA accessible, it's a freaking ramp! People were walking up the exit stairs trying to get on with an ADA pass! The ops were like, um, the regular queue is the accessible entrance and the guests got pissed! So in order to refrain from a disturbance, they allowed them to ride.

To me the better solution is having those in need of a pass actually wait for the ride at the ride, problem solved! (if you can work out the staging details)

And for those complaining about ADA violations, well, you have to have a handicap permit to park in a handicap spot right? A Doctor must sign the required documents to obtain the permit otherwise you risk the tow truck and the need to make a sizeable donation to the local community's general fund.

I've been with someone who's gotten an EAP pass at several Six Flags parks and at a few Cedar Fair parks (Kings Island, WoF...), and I've never noticed any of this. There was always either never a line to get the pass, or maybe one person ahead. And the lines at the rides were usually maybe a dozen people max (and often less).

I agree that a lot of people do abuse it, but it's never caused an issue for me, as a regular rider. As mentioned, it's not a cut in line pass, it's just waiting in a different location. And I think people will easily forge doctors notes. Next time you're at Walmart, notice how all the handicap spots are full. There are a lot of certain people who have the handicap placards now, too many for them to all be for a legitimate reason, so they'll have no problem getting doctors notes. So I don't really have a problem with or without the policy, but don't think it's going to help much. And I think there'll be longer lines at guest services now than before this policy.

For some reason, when I read this the image of Cartman in the Special Olympics popped into my head. Really, is there any group out there who doesn't feel they're more entitled than everyone else on the planet because of their particular challenge? Everyone has issues and some are more restrictive than others with regard to certain physically demanding activities. Would someone in an iron lung be entitled to sue a park over being denied access to a water slide? There's a point where catering to every special interest group becomes absurd, and I think we're close to it.

In your example, the ADA wouldn't apply because the accommodation isn't reasonable if safety is a concern. So no, they wouldn't be able to sue. Well, I mean...they could sue, but they'd lose. In fact, in a case about amputees recently, that just happened: they sued a park for denying them ridership, but the court ruled since the manufacturer said no amputees, the park had an obligation to follow the state law which mandates they follow manufacturer guidelines and could not be held liable.

This whole situation reminds me of the King of Queens episode where "...Deacon, Arthur and Spence have a wonderful day at the amusement park, when they learn they can skip waiting in the long lines by putting Arthur in a wheelchair."

I know this is off-topic, but that episode was shot at SFMM! Just think it's a funny coincidence that the episode's about the exact thing SFMM (and all the other SF parks) are trying to get rid of with this new policy!

Its not about selling more flash passes, I mean let's face it, at OT there are only about 5 rides the flash pass is even worthy on. It's about people the number of people who have slowly started to cheat the system and get a pseudo flash pass by getting a ride time (well sometimes anyway!) and running off to ride something else and coming back.

So these people who are cheating the system are getting something for free when they should be paying for it, and you don't think that factors into Six Flags' thinking at all?

Here is a prime example! Shockwave's main queue is ADA accessible, it's a freaking ramp! People were walking up the exit stairs trying to get on with an ADA pass! The ops were like, um, the regular queue is the accessible entrance and the guests got pissed! So in order to refrain from a disturbance, they allowed them to ride.

These things are preventable, they only happen because Six Flags employees are terribly under-trained and under-managed. I'm guessing that's the whole reason they're having this problem in the first place. If Six Flags is really having a problem on the scale some are suggesting then it's clear they're doing literally nothing to prevent it. It doesn't take a lot of brains to figure this out. Don't have the place where the passes are distributed at the front of the park. Make it harder to find. Don't have people wait in a line outside to get it. Have an employee managing it who's older and can conduct his/herself with some presence. If it's a gaggle of able-bodied kids with no adult in sight, look at them skeptically, ask who exactly the pass is for. Explain the pass is only for people who really need it and ask them, do you really need it? Kids are generally terrible liars, so if they're lying, you can make it clear with your body language that they shouldn't have it, and they probably won't be persistent enough to demand it.

If you don't believe me that it's possible to solve this problem without resorting to discriminatory policies, then all I can tell you is the proof is in the pudding. Other parks don't have this problem, other parks don't have this policy.

The law doesn't allow for Six Flags to essentially interrogate a person and determine if they are lying or not. You HAVE to take their word.

Plus, are they really getting something for free if the pass still makes them wait the wait time? And sometimes longer if the ADA access area is backed up?

The law doesn't allow for Six Flags to essentially interrogate a person and determine if they are lying or not. You HAVE to take their word.

Plus, are they really getting something for free if the pass still makes them wait the wait time? And sometimes longer if the ADA access area is backed up?

As mentioned earlier, yes, people play the system... Ride A = 30 min. wait... Ride B = 45 min wait. Person C gets the "wait time pass" for B then goes through the "normal" line for A... They then can complete A & B in 45 min... A regular person would need 75 minutes to do the same...

I'm not suggesting they ask what disability the person has. If the person is asking for the pass then the answer to the question "do you need it?" is an implied "yes", the point of asking it is only to guilt trip people who are most likely lying, and a good, experienced employee should be able to smell bullshit a mile away. Following the law doesn't mean you need to be stupid about it. Some particularly nefarious people will still scam them, but a flood of people doing it is just ridiculous. They're obviously doing something wrong.

I was under the impression the lowest-level flash pass worked exactly the same way.

^There is no such thing as "bullshit" when it comes to the law. If the person says they need an accommodation, you absolutely cannot deny it because you think they are lying. Flashpass I believe at least lets you select your rides from the qbot while access pass guests still have to go from ride to ride and check in with an employee. I guess you could say it was comparable to the original version of flash passes that had to be scanned at a station in front of each venue, but it isn't exactly getting a free flashpass in its current form.

^^That's true as long as the alternative access point has no additional people waiting. If we are assuming that abuse is rampant, is it also safe to assume that people using the pass do not receive immediate access? Plus in your example, the actual time saved is probably negligible: person C would have to go to ride B, find the employee issuing the access pass to get the time to come back, walk back over to ride A, exit ride A, walk back to ride B to enter at the alternative access point and then hope there are no other alternative access riders in front of them...all in an extra 15 minutes.

The reality is this: There's so many variables involved with these programs that there really is no such thing as a perfect system that can prevent abuse and keep a park out of a legal "grey area."

Six Flags is either looking to set the new industry precedent or will be sued and change their policy very quickly. Though I am of the opinion they will get sued and lose, I applaud them for trying.

Edited by Jew