TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the lamest first drop you have been on?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goliath at SFMM

I concur. Honestly, every time I look at Goliath, my first thought is "ugh that drop needs to be 10-15 degrees steeper". Such a waste of amazing height.

Not only is it not that steep, but it the drop shaping itself looks uninspired too. The center is late, and the transition has very little tension giving you a main part of the drop that looks like it was a straight section as opposed to B&M's gradual curved drop. With that size you have a lot of potential for a drop, and I feel that they missed the mark. On the plus side I heard the tunnel gives you one hell of a headchopper.

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

Concur with the bolded, and I think it sums up Eurofighters in general.

The ones that do not have the hold brake pack some real punch in my opinion. I find Dare Devil Dive to be probably the most enjoyable Eurofighter because it is smooth, lap bars only, and just a fun ride. If that drop wasn't held back it would have great airtime instead of just an ok mix of hang time and slight airtime.

^I would agree except for me the first drop is one of the better parts of the ride for me, and I don't expect much from stand ups on the first drop. No, it's not very steep, but you get a great sense of height being so close to Superman and looming over the parking lot (which actually does help this aspect, although I hate it's location otherwise).

Excluding the leg pain that can be pretty annoying throughout the ride, Green Lantern actually has a really good first half. If it ended there I might kinda like the ride.

My vote is going to go to Titan at SFOT.

Titan has so much potential, but when you ride it it's just kind of... meh. When you think of how tall this coaster is you think it would provide a decent drop... But it doesn't. It is really underwhelming. There is zero airtime on the drop, and it almost feels like the lift hill is steeper than the drop (even though I know it's not.) ... Also, what is the deal with the train slowing to a crawl at the top of the lift hill??

I believe I have yet to see anyone mention Green Lantern at SFGAd.

6081436511_48da90737b_b.jpg

It feels about as steep as the lift hill when you're on it.

I always thought this one was interesting. Chang was built after Mantis with a taller, much lamer first drop.

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

Concur with the bolded, and I think it sums up Eurofighters in general.

The ones that do not have the hold brake pack some real punch in my opinion. I find Dare Devil Dive to be probably the most enjoyable Eurofighter because it is smooth, lap bars only, and just a fun ride. If that drop wasn't held back it would have great airtime instead of just an ok mix of hang time and slight airtime.

On the flipside, even though it has a holding brake, I find Mystery Mine's 95* drop to be the highlight of the ride (besides the theming).

^I would agree except for me the first drop is one of the better parts of the ride for me, and I don't expect much from stand ups on the first drop. No, it's not very steep, but you get a great sense of height being so close to Superman and looming over the parking lot (which actually does help this aspect, although I hate it's location otherwise).

Excluding the leg pain that can be pretty annoying throughout the ride, Green Lantern actually has a really good first half. If it ended there I might kinda like the ride.

All of this basically. I like the wonky turnaround up top while standing, the first drop is fast and feels pretty high, the vertical loop feels really high and its pretty awesome and then the train turns to the right and the entire ride goes to sh*t. Tho I do dig that pop of standup air off the MCBR.

I believe I have yet to see anyone mention Green Lantern at SFGAd.

6081436511_48da90737b_b.jpg

It feels about as steep as the lift hill when you're on it.

The only problem with that comment is that it is the least painful and most enjoyable part of the ride. Everything After the vertical loop hurts my legs so bad. So much in fact that even if this ride is a walk on for whatever row I want I still skip it. Such a shame because the layout looks great but doesn't feel great (sit down conversion? Although the drop would be even lamer sitting down...)

I guess I'm the opposite of everyone else. I love Green Lantern, and I also like the weird turnaround before the first drop, and the two ending corkscrews are actually my favorite part of the ride. The only part I find disappointing is the first drop itself.

I guess I'm the opposite of everyone else. I love Green Lantern, and I also like the weird turnaround before the first drop, and the two ending corkscrews are actually my favorite part of the ride. The only part I find disappointing is the first drop itself.

I /love/ those corkscrews. I must be the perfect height for them, if I'm in the middle 2 seats it feels like the rotation point is right between my eyes. Some of the best corkscrews I've experienced.

Strange, I always thought Green Lantern's first drop was the only part of the ride that didn't completely suck.

I find Mystery Mine's 95* drop to be the highlight of the ride (besides the theming).

Mystery Mine is just complete greatness. Everything about that ride is perfect. Now let's sit patiently and wait for someone to complain about how "rough" it is.

Strange, I always thought Green Lantern's first drop was the only part of the ride that didn't completely suck.

Yup. The drop is actually pretty good IMO, and so is the first half. The second half though, say goodbye to all feeling in your head... and the lower half of you body

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the drop on on Grizzly at CGA. I'll put in my two cents with Grizzly at KD's first drop. Always seemed pointless to me. Love the second drop and the rest of the ride though.

That's strange, I actually enjoyed Grizzly's drop [KD] , but only in the back. In the other rows it's not that good.

By "pointless" I mean that the ride doesn't really do anything with the drop because it goes straight back up into that turnaround and you lose any momentum from it.

Mystery Mine is just complete greatness. Everything about that ride is perfect. Now let's sit patiently and wait for someone to complain about how "rough" it is.

I never understood why people say that Mystery Mine is rough. It honestly rides great for its age and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

I never understood why people say that Mystery Mine is rough. It honestly rides great for its age and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

I second all of the above.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting question but lame is sadly very subjective. A particular individual a few pages back suggest Nemesis came to mind. I couldn't disagree more.

Regarding the force through the rest of the ride and the height restrictions in place, I would argue that the run down into the corkscrew (that throws up and over like no other invert IMO) is absolutely remarkable - anything but lame.

If you expected the no 1 first drop in the world then your research was sadly lame. The first drop has never disappointed me in anyway unlike many other B&Ms.

Space Mountain Mission 2 gets my vote though; after such a build up and launch it feels like sitting on the outside of a carousel for the first 20 seconds.

Riddlers Revenge at SFMM for me. a week ago, nothing was enjoyable about that ride for me. Other then the fact it was a stand-up coaster which I guess is where the problems come in. The drop itself isn't tall, not really steep compared to a lot of other coasters in the same park.

Goliath, Twisted Colossus, Scream, X2, Tatsu and possibly even Batman have better drops then it, from my point of view at least.