TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the lamest first drop you have been on?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

Concur with the bolded, and I think it sums up Eurofighters in general.

^^

Mean Streak is a victim of a severe trimjob during the first drop. Not it's fault.

Silver bullet is not steep, but not to the point where it should merit a "that entire ride sucked my left nut" bad.

As for "lamest" first drops on an "adult" coaster, Time warp (and associates) has a 54" height requirement, so in my opinion, look no further!

I am going to agree 100% with this post although I agree with several others that the drop on Great Bear is also pretty weak.

If I had to nominate some different kinds of coasters and their manufacturers...

B&M: Tie for Great Bear (Hershey), Silver Bullet (Knotts)

Intamin: Cobra (La Ronde). Tear it down...if you haven't already. This coaster design was an early brain fart for Intamin IMO...awful.

Wooden: Le Monstre (La Ronde). This is another nominee for "that entire ride sucked my left nut" bad. RMC to the rescue?

Arrow: Loch Ness Monster (BGW) Great location, very photogenic, but what a sucky first drop.

Vekoma - Any SLC

Zamperla - Flying roller coaster (see Time Warp)

Dinn - Raging Wolf Bobs (Geauga Lake). Yep...definitely worse than Mean Streak

Schwarzkopf - Scorpion (BGT). Not really sure I understand the love for this one other than it being a good kiddie/family coaster. Give me Olympia Looping or Montezooma's Revenge any day of the week!

GCI - Gwazi (BGT). RIP baby!

CCI - Villain (Geauga Lake). Like running over pebbles on a dirt road at 55 MPH.

RMC - Yeah, right!

Roller Coaster Corporation of America - Bonus points if you can guess the most ultimate flop, worst piece of crap roller coaster ever built with one of the lamest first drops ever!!!

How about Great Bear at Hersheypark? That's pretty bad even for the majority of mediocre B&M first drops!

Interesting, I actually quite enjoyed the unorthodox helix up high before diving towards the river. I thought Great Bear was a superb ride, and I never really got the hate that it catches from many of my enthusiast friends, but that's just my opinion!

EDIT: ^Holy crap Loch Ness Monster's drop in the back or second to back row is pure awesomeness, I feel like I'll be killed in the back being whipped around the end of the turn into that drop! One of my favorite drops to be honest (in the front, it is incredibly lackluster though).

As for the lamest drop I have been on? Probably Hurler at KD, just pure garbage.

Great Bear's first drop does nothing for me. It slowly meanders in the helix and there is no force to the first drop.

Sit in the back. I normally prefer the front on inverts but the line was way longer, back was a walk on. It's forceful.

I expected it to be 'eh' was all 'OH F*CK'.

Vekoma - Any SLC

I actually enjoy Morey's SLCs drop in the back seat, mainly because of the nice yank into it and the footchoppers as you drop down right overtop of a bunch of slides in the weaterpark.

Great Bear's first drop does nothing for me. It slowly meanders in the helix and there is no force to the first drop.

Sit in the back. I normally prefer the front on inverts but the line was way longer, back was a walk on. It's forceful.

I expected it to be 'eh' was all 'OH F*CK'.

That's what is strange. I usually try to ride in the back on any coaster, and I did on GB my most recent visit. Maybe it was just a bad train, or there were a lot of empty seats, but I just didn't get as much of a buzz as I do on Raptor or a Batman clone.

I'll definitely give it another shot though. It was a very smooth, enjoyable ride.

On a good day I think Steel Force's first drop is great in the back seat. Nice yank over the peak and some great floater air on the way down. But since it does that pause at the top its super lame in the front, which is a shame because the rest of the ride is so great in the front car and sucks in the back.

Steel Force. The lameness of the drop is a preview for how piss poor the rest of that ride is.
I wouldn't say it's the lamest first drop out there but for its impressive size, Steel Force's drop is incredibly lame.
The Cedar Fair Morgan triplets are also pretty underwhelming.

Note: These are all from the same day, I think Steel Force has racked up more mentions than any other coaster today and is giving Mean Streak a run for its money. Are the Dorney Park fans just trolling/grouchy today or is Steel Force really that bad?

Steel force holds a place in my heart as my first coaster over 200 feet and at the first time I rode it I thought the drop was insane. Then I rode Nitro and Skyrush. After that steel force's drop never seemed so great. It's still fun to ride though IMO. The airtime on the bunny hills at the end are really nice!

Worst drop for me is Wildcat at Hershey park. Not such a bad drop but its so rough and not really enjoyable. RMC please come to the rescue!

For the lamest drop I would have to say Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa.

Back row, left side of the train, you're welcome. PS: Drugs are bad.

Not that Magnum is the same ride, but it can't be that much better.

Yes... Yes it can. Magnum and Steel Force kind of look the same and they're both red but that's where the similarities end. Steel Force is a ridiculously forceless but smooth and enjoyable ride that doesn't do anything at all. It's fun but the ride just kind of meanders around until it hits the brakes.

Magnum tries for 2 minutes to launch everyone on the train into Lake Erie. It's not comfortable at all but it's a relentless airtime machine that feels like it's actively trying to kill you and I love it for that. Magnum is the polar opposite of Steel Force. I like both rides but Magnum makes Steel Force look like a kiddy coaster.

When it comes to the Morgan hypers, pretty much every coaster book I own from the late 90s-early 2000s all paint Steel Force in particular as this insane airtime filled Fury 325-esque scream machine....When I was a kid, it was the only 200+ foot tall coaster I've ever been on, so yeah, it did seem totally insane to me.

Then as I grew older, I ended up riding much bigger and better coasters and I now realize that while Steel Force is all about speed and smoothness, it pales in comparison to the likes of Fury 325 and Intimidator 305.

Again, I like Steel Force. The first time I had already ridden Nitro and Ride of Steel (SFA) and I first rode SF in the back, and I immediately understood the running 'steel forceless' joke. I thought it was boring. Then I tried it in the front and I think its a lot of fun when ridden up there. Decent/mild floater over the first big hill and great pops of ejector on the return bunnyhops. I really enjoyed marathoning it during C4Ks earlier this year.

Magnum tries for 2 minutes to launch everyone on the train into Lake Erie. It's not comfortable at all but it's a relentless airtime machine that feels like it's actively trying to kill you and I love it for that.

Basically this. I went into Magnum with trepidation thanks to all the complaints here and elsewhere about the restraints. Also, it being an old Arrow. But it blew me away more than once and I only rode it in the first car (2nd and 3rd rows). Not only did I not notice any pain (still not sure if I inadvertently did this so called seat belt trick, I didn't know about it before I rode) but the airtime is insane. Some of the best I have experienced on any coaster ever. Right into my top 10.

How about Great Bear at Hersheypark? That's pretty bad even for the majority of mediocre B&M first drops!

Interesting, I actually quite enjoyed the unorthodox helix up high before diving towards the river. I thought Great Bear was a superb ride, and I never really got the hate that it catches from many of my enthusiast friends, but that's just my opinion!

EDIT: ^Holy crap Loch Ness Monster's drop in the back or second to back row is pure awesomeness, I feel like I'll be killed in the back being whipped around the end of the turn into that drop! One of my favorite drops to be honest (in the front, it is incredibly lackluster though).

As for the lamest drop I have been on? Probably Hurler at KD, just pure garbage.

I found Great Bear's helix incredibly forceful. I haven't ridden it in 5 years, but if I recall correctly I'd rank it as one of the more forceful B&M helices. It is what makes this ride so neat.

I disagree every bit with you about Lochness. It has the best Arrow drop in the back rows (other than maybe X2). I was absolutely shocked and caught off guard this summer - I had no idea it would be that good!

Edited by RollerManic

I found Great Bear's helix incredibly forceful. I haven't ridden it in 5 years, but if I recall correctly I'd rank it as one of the more forceful V&M helixes. It is what makes this ride so neat.

I disagree every bit with you about Lochness. It has the best Arrow drop in the back rows (other than maybe X2). I was absolutley shxoked and caught off guard this summer - I had no idea it would be that food!

I said Loch Ness' drop was awesome, you may be replying to the wrong person here...

I found Great Bear's helix incredibly forceful. I haven't ridden it in 5 years, but if I recall correctly I'd rank it as one of the more forceful B&M helices. It is what makes this ride so neat.

I thought so too. I was expecting it to be pure fluff, but the helix is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and the train takes it at a decent clip. It's almost like it has two first drops.

I'll jump on the Mean Streak game as well. That drop looks so good from off ride too.

It is cliché, but it is that way for a reason so I have to agree with Mean Streak. Looks good on paper and then...you actually ride it and discover it is nothing like it looks. The name fits at least.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the drop on on Grizzly at CGA. I'll put in my two cents with Grizzly at KD's first drop. Always seemed pointless to me. Love the second drop and the rest of the ride though.

That's strange, I actually enjoyed Grizzly's drop [KD] , but only in the back. In the other rows it's not that good.

My opinion on Expedition Everest's first drop depends on which one you consider the first drop. Both "true" first drops (after the mini lift at the start and the little one before the backwards section) are teeny for such a large coaster, but if you consider either of the other 2 options (the start of the backwards section, or the drop out of the mountain) then there's far more "holy shit" factor than one might think. In conclusion, Expedition Everest's layout is really weird when you think about it. Still loads of fun though.