TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the lamest first drop you have been on?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me its probably Thunderhawk tied with Hydra. Thunderhawk is not only tiny but it feels like you are rolling down a jagged cliffside in a steel barrel. Hydra, for being a non-curved drop (which I prefer), is just small, boring and forceless in any seat imo. I'll concur with others that Mean Streak was a giant disappointment, but as mentioned its due to those ridiculous trims.

On a good day I think Steel Force's first drop is great in the back seat. Nice yank over the peak and some great floater air on the way down. But since it does that pause at the top its super lame in the front, which is a shame because the rest of the ride is so great in the front car and sucks in the back.

I also like Great Bear's first drop with that funky yet surprisingly forceful helix which gives you a good bit of speed before the straight drop down (rare for an invert) next to the creek.

Didn't anyone else feel that Hypersonic XL took the spot most underwhelming first drop---if it didn't take it for lamest? Consider how Air Thrust 2000 had this incredible vertical ascent/descent, I never got why S&S let their prototype crest this huge vertical ascent just to crawl down.

I never got the airtime I expected from Kraken's first drop. Not lame, but it was definitely a case of anticipointment. My winners are probably Led Zeppelin at Hard Rock Park, and Hydra at Dorney- too bad B&M engineered the pre-drop out of their rides. The Cedar Fair Morgan triplets are also pretty underwhelming.

Twister II at Elitch Gardens for wood. This would be a great coaster to see Rocky Mountain'd.

Raptor and Kraken might be the only B&M first drops I really like (haven't been on Fury or Leviathan yet).

That's odd. I found both Raptor and Kraken to have some of B&M's weaker first drops (even though both of the layouts that follow are great).

A few more I will add to my list are The Beast and Wild Thing. The Beast could have a great first drop if it weren't for those trim brakes. Wild Thing's first drop isn't bad, but for a hypercoaster, it's a little underwhelming.

On a good day I think Steel Force's first drop is great in the back seat. Nice yank over the peak and some great floater air on the way down. But since it does that pause at the top its super lame in the front, which is a shame because the rest of the ride is so great in the front car and sucks in the back.

Steel Force. The lameness of the drop is a preview for how piss poor the rest of that ride is.
I wouldn't say it's the lamest first drop out there but for its impressive size, Steel Force's drop is incredibly lame.
The Cedar Fair Morgan triplets are also pretty underwhelming.

Note: These are all from the same day, I think Steel Force has racked up more mentions than any other coaster today and is giving Mean Streak a run for its money. Are the Dorney Park fans just trolling/grouchy today or is Steel Force really that bad?

^also, I never got how the Cedar Fair Morgan (Wild Thing/Steel Force/Mamba) all have the same 60 degree 200ft drop that Magnum XL and the Arrows do, yet the latter gets praised and the trio get lambasted.

Not that Magnum is the same ride, but it can't be that much better. There isn't much difference between Magnum/Desperado's first drop and the Morgans, and you never hear a nay word said about those Arrows' great first drops.

Note: These are all from the same day, I think Steel Force has racked up more mentions than any other coaster today and is giving Mean Streak a run for its money. Are the Dorney Park fans just trolling/grouchy today or is Steel Force really that bad?

I'm in the minority but Ive come around to Steel Force. I think some people just like to pick on it. I was underwhelmed by it until I rode it 12xs at Coaster For Kids this year, it really grew on me and moved up considerably in my rankings. Still not Top10 material but its a coaster I look forward to riding again. If its late in the day and the train is full it can provide an amazing ride in the front seat. The airtime on the return bunnyhops is great. I would kill to get a ride with the MCBR turned off.

^also, I never got how the Cedar Fair Morgan (Wild Thing/Steel Force/Mamba) all have the same 60 degree 200ft drop that Magnum XL and the Arrows do, yet the latter gets praised and the trio get lambasted.

Not that Magnum is the same ride, but it can't be that much better. There isn't much difference between Magnum/Desperado's first drop and the Morgans, and you never hear a nay word said about those Arrows' great first drops.

I wouldn't call Magnum's drop great, either. Arrow-wise, SFGAm's Demon pack a much greater punch and it's roughly 100 ft shorter.

Coaster express at parque warner. It's basically the beginning of a long boring rough helix.

Damnit, here I thought I was going to get to list a coaster I no one had mentioned yet! But yeah, this one get's my vote as well.

I never got the airtime I expected from Kraken's first drop. Not lame, but it was definitely a case of anticipointment.

That was my thought as well after riding Kraken. Not a bad drop, but nothing particularly memorable.

How about Great Bear at Hersheypark? That's pretty bad even for the majority of mediocre B&M first drops!

It's definitely the oddest of the bunch

yeah, I have mixed feelings about it -- turning that high up is actually somewhat cool, with your feet dangling.

I find Grizzly at PGA to be more offensive - in all departments.

It's pretty far out of the way for most of us, but I think Gao at Mitsui Greenland in Japan is the lamest first drop I've ever experienced. It feels like a 45 degree angle, just a long, slow, steady drop.

[attachment=0]Gao Drop.PNG[/attachment]

Haha, I actually think that looks so weird that it's sort of cool and unique!

It isn't that the first drop on Magnum is much better than that trio of Morgan hyper coasters (although it is better), it's that the rest of magnum (especially the return half) is significantly more exciting.

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

The Beast also has a terribly disappointing drop considering how great it seems like it would be. The entire coaster is over-trimmed and really not that exciting unless you ride it at night (I love the concept of fast and low to the ground covering a couple dozen acres of forest though!).