TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

LSM Speedboat Amusement Concept

Came across this article today on the former CEO of the Texas State Fair and the guy responsible for the Great American Scream Machine in Georgia. A hefty price tag for a simulated speed boat race, but let's face it, people love Dragster, Xcel, and King Da Ka, so why not a boat that goes 0-62mph in 4 seconds?

Forty-two years ago, Errol McKoy set off a thrill ride arms race when he introduced the world’s tallest, fastest, longest wooden roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia.

“The first year after we introduced the Great American Scream Machine, attendance jumped by 350,000 people,” McKoy says. “Everyone recalibrated their products to do a bigger coaster than ours.”

Now the 73-year-old retired CEO of the State Fair of Texas hopes his latest invention will become the latest must-have ride for entertainment parks around the globe.

His ride is a drag race on water that takes two 24-passenger speedboats from zero to 62 miles an hour in four seconds.

Talk about an adrenaline rush.

And McKoy holds patents that could make him a very rich man.

The rides will cost about $15 million a pop, McKoy says. His royalty take will be between $750,000 and $1.5 million apiece.

All he has to do is sell the first one.

“It’s going to take somebody who’s a risk taker and not afraid to step up,” McKoy says. “Once that happens, everybody’s going to want one. Right now everyone’s saying, ‘That’s a lot of technology and a lot of intricate stuff.’ I say, ‘I know. So was the Parachute Drop decades ago.’”

Riders will experience the roaring sounds and jostling motion of a real speedboat, while flames shoot from the exhaust pipes and 20-foot water rooster tails spout from the sterns.

“Everything is special effect,” McKoy says. “The idea is to create the feel and sound of a massive, 1,500-horsepower supercharged speedboat.”

More Reading Here

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's definitely cool, but I cannot see too many parks dishing out 15 million dollars for this. You can get a great coaster for that price.

But you have to remember - Parks want more rides than just coasters. And not everyone will ride a coaster, but might ride this. If parks were filled with ONLY coaster rides, that's would be really a shame, IMO. But perhaps a really big-budget non-coaster ride that is also VERY thrilling, has a great crowd interaction as well might just be what some parks are looking for.

Seems like a cool idea but I'm seeing shadows of the S&S dragster attraction that was a complete failure. I only knew of two places that instaled it (Orlando and Lagoon) and both have since been destroyed. I'm not sure if it's because of ridership or high maintenance, though.

Then again, with this being a 24 passenger boat as opposed to a one or two seater car could have a major impact on popularity.

Seems like a cool idea but I'm seeing shadows of the S&S dragster attraction that was a complete failure. I only knew of two places that instaled it (Orlando and Lagoon) and both have since been destroyed. I'm not sure if it's because of ridership or high maintenance, though.

That Dragster ride at Old Town is still one of the craziest things I've ever ridden! The launch was like Dondonpa where it felt like you were getting hit by a truck from behind. I believe it's failure wasn't because of the ride but because of a few factors:

- It was at Old Town where nobody really went.

- I never saw a single advertisement for it, anywhere... ever.

- The price was insane.

- It opened, if I recall correctly, shortly after or right around 9/11 which the entire Orlando market was doing poorly.

- Fun Spot purchased that land (I believe) and built their park on that spot.

I'm sure the ride was also not well taken care of so by the time Fun Spot came in, I'm sure it wasn't worth salvaging.

Edited by robbalvey

Looks like a fun idea. But I wonder (given that LSMs already use a significant amount of power) how much it would take to accelerate those boats with all the drag from the water. It'd obviously be cool to see someone building on, though.

I'm just going to throw this out there, and I don't even know if it is possible, but this is totally something I could see Cedar Point building in the lake that surrounds the park. I don't know if they are allowed to build in the lake, but if they are I could see this going there. Obviously they would have to put up some sort of wave brake to keep the waves out of the area the boats are in... But I could really see this being a good fit for Cedar Point. People would love it, and it could give them another "worlds first."

For me personally, I cannot stand things like "lake water" and the gross, disgusting things that live in lakes. So I would love to see a "theme park" version of this built with treated water knowing that whatever water will hit me in the face would be nice and filtered and not contain whatever horrible things are living in lake water.

Cedar Point cannot build in Lake Erie, nor would they want to.

I'm so glad you know exactly what Cedar Point wants to do. I had NO idea we had a member of the Cedar Point development team on the boards.

There is absolutely NO REASON for you to be that rude to someone else on our forum. Banned for one week for being an asshole.

While interesting, I have a hard time seeing any major park installing an attraction like this... extremely pricey with too many risks for a one-trick pony. Further, I see this being a maintenance nightmare due to the environmental factors the system components would cycle through.

If they do happen to get someone brave enough to bite on this, I see it getting bought by a developer type looking to build a one-off tourist attraction.

For me personally, I cannot stand things like "lake water" and the gross, disgusting things that live in lakes. So I would love to see a "theme park" version of this built with treated water knowing that whatever water will hit me in the face would be nice and filtered and not contain whatever horrible things are living in lake water.

THIS

Dang it with CA drought I guess we can cross this state off the list of possible places this concept might have been considered.

I also wonder could be turns be incorporated into the layout?

Wait, wait, wait, weren't you the one praising Nautic Jet at Schlossbeck? The insane attraction that quite literally throws you into "Malaria Lake?" Here's a vid for those who don't know what I'm talking about.