TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

Guys, seriously. This isn't too hard. Just do the math.

This is all according to RMC's concept video at IAAPA:

Raptor holds eight people per train. EIGHT PEOPLE. Not only does it have a low capacity in terms of trains, but it also only has two trains on the track, due to it's lack of a mid-course break run. This means that the ride will have a lower capacity than a Gerstlauer spinning coaster, which features 6 trains and 3 mid-course break-runs. Spinning Dragons at WOF, a ride I have a fairly good knowledge of, has an agonizingly slow line. And it's D-ticket attraction at best! At most parks, an RMC will be a top tier attraction due to it's intensity and smooth ride experience.

I don't think there's any way in hell that this ride gets built at a park with an attendance above 800,000 or so. The only parks I believe could make a ride like this work would be Michigan's Adventure, Great Escape (if their guests can learn to sit in a seat properly), or something of similar or smaller size.

I always thought one of these would make the most sense at a park like Canobie Lake.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raptor holds eight people per train. EIGHT PEOPLE. Not only does it have a low capacity in terms of trains, but it also only has two trains on the track, due to it's lack of a mid-course break run. This means that the ride will have a lower capacity than a Gerstlauer spinning coaster, which features 6 trains and 3 mid-course break-runs. Spinning Dragons at WOF, a ride I have a fairly good knowledge of, has an agonizingly slow line. And it's D-ticket attraction at best! At most parks, an RMC will be a top tier attraction due to it's intensity and smooth ride experience.

I don't think there's any way in hell that this ride gets built at a park with an attendance above 800,000 or so. The only parks I believe could make a ride like this work would be Michigan's Adventure, Great Escape (if their guests can learn to sit in a seat properly), or something of similar or smaller size.

There's no reason it couldn't have a mid-course brake like any other coaster. Or as a launched coaster, the ride time would be short enough it doesn't matter. Still not a good choice for a large park but potentially higher capacity than Fahrenheit or current Kingda Ka.

There is no need to do the math or to even argue about what you think capacity will be. RMC did the math already, theoretical capacity is 600 an hour with 3 trains. Which does means it has a lower potential capacity than a boomerang.

EDIT: I need to add there is almost always a way to fix capacity issues and build an amazing new ride. For example make it have two tracks and be a racing coaster. A park could take the Disney approach similar to Primeval Whirl and just build two copies of the ride. At the same time though these are extreme measures most parks will not consider.

^If you are resorting to building two copies of ride because of capacity, why even bother? The primary feature of this ride type is cost savings. As usual, many are over thinking things and getting ahead of themselves because of the RMC hype and the newness factor. I don't think any park bigger than Kemah will be lining up for this Raptor variant, but it could be a complete game changer for FEC's and micro parks such as Kemah or Galveston Pleasure Pier. The T-Rex variant is the one that is supposed to be the game changer for "real" parks.

What I'm watching for now is how other manufacturers will respond with design changes on their own rides. I'm sure everyone already practices optimization, but this could start a whole new level of market forces. I'm interested to see how much steel and labor they are truly saving.

LOL...I love all the discussion on these rides.

Some park IS installing one next year, and my guess is it won't be just at some fun center lol.

I remember the interviews with RMC where they hinted that this track can be installed anywhere, and can be built to customer specifications, including launches. i think people are thinking too inside the box.

including launches.

They want to try another launched coaster after Lightning Rod? I bet they must've learned from their mistakes.

Their mistake? They didn't provide the launch system on lightning rod.

What I'm watching for now is how other manufacturers will respond with design changes on their own rides. I'm sure everyone already practices optimization, but this could start a whole new level of market forces. I'm interested to see how much steel and labor they are truly saving.

There are already a bunch of companies targeting the cost conscious coaster market. S&S is designing all their coasters and concepts towards this market. There are others such as Skyline and Chance with the Hyper Gt-x, etc...The big coaster market is dominated B&M and Intamin and it seems many companies don't want to play in that arena. Even then, the big boys are building more coasters abroad, especially China than the US. The fact is the number of parks buying big coasters domestically is much smaller than those buying less expensive ones. Six Flags is essentially out of buying big coasters regularly, when they were buying 5 a yr in the 90's and 2000's. Coaster companies are adapting to the new market which changed in the 2010's. The sub less expensive coaster market is becoming really competitive with new players. RMC seems to want to play in the big coaster market and the small.

LOL...I love all the discussion on these rides.

Some park IS installing one next year, and my guess is it won't be just at some fun center lol.

I remember the interviews with RMC where they hinted that this track can be installed anywhere, and can be built to customer specifications, including launches. i think people are thinking too inside the box.

The Raptor could be like the Infinity Coaster, there are ones that cost 20M+, ones that cost 8M, and many in between the extremes that are customized.

• 2 weeks later...

So, basically what the smaller GG woodies like Switchback holds. Yep, geared to smaller parks like ZDT and Fun Spot.

Definitely some interesting tidbits there. Projects coming next year will break height and speed records?

And 7 projects for next year? I wonder if Georgia Cyclone will be one of those. It also makes me wonder if this is why Hurler and Mean Streak are being done now so that they can work on the other 5 over the winter?

Things that make you go hmmmm...

. . . Projects coming next year will break height and speed records?

If I had to guess I would bet they were referring to New Mean Streak with this comment. "The tallest and fastest wooden/hybrid coaster." Or however they are going to market it!

. . . Projects coming next year will break height and speed records?

If I had to guess I would bet they were referring to New Mean Streak with this comment. "The tallest and fastest wooden/hybrid coaster." Or however they are going to market it!

Most definitely. But with 5 other projects coming we know nothing about, surely makes that comment interesting. This is gonna be a fun (and awful) off season.