TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

I get you on wanting to be taken on a journey. That is why Nemesis is so good, as you get pulled up through the hill side, then roll through the canyons, but also with the intensity the inverts are known for. Banshee looks like a really fun ride, rather than intense. It is on my bucket list, and I love to watch it on the web cams.

Also, good point, why are we not talking about the RM Craptor?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS is what Rocket Rods should of/could of looked like and ridden on, IMhO.

RR wouldn't have been so bad if they had just banked the turns. Not one turn or curve was banked which meant it had to slow down for each one. The track used could have worked just fine but Disney tried to make a quick buck by saving a few bucks rather than actually giving the attraction the attention it deserved.

As for the Raptor, I am hating this less and less. The renderings showed the trains with four, two person in-line seating cars. But in this photo the cars looks like a single seat per car and I imagine they could string fifteen or so cars together and it still wouldn't be so long.

^Do you read or must you just be the first to post every time so you rush in to post without reading?

I posted it just to spite you, RollerManiac. It worked

I'm sorry I don't like Intimidator 305

As for the Raptor, I am hating this less and less. The renderings showed the trains with four, two person in-line seating cars. But in this photo the cars looks like a single seat per car and I imagine they could string fifteen or so cars together and it still wouldn't be so long.

You're confusing this for the T-Rex concept. That will still become a reality. It will use a wider single-rail track, hence the wider trains.

You're confusing this for the T-Rex concept. That will still become a reality. It will use a wider single-rail track, hence the wider trains.

I would imagine the T-Rex would have two seats in a row rather than back to back/in-line like WestCoaster suggested. I think they were talking about this design:

raptor.thumb.PNG.db33c2d3699a434afd96d8a1418794d7.PNG

Ah, yes. My bad. I read his post too quickly and thought he essentially said "4 person cars with two per row".

Either way, I don't see how this prototype still couldn't end up looking like the concept art. And I'm sure the length of the train would be dependent on the park's request.

It seems like the dueling / racing potential for such narrow track / train design is through the roof. Arguably, what makes TC so good is the racing / interaction, and a system like this could make for a more reliably synchronized version in a relatively small footprint. Plus, doing high speed maneuvers on what basically looks like a monorail track, has got to be unnerving!

I read something awhile back where Fred Grubb said the Raptor has ability to do maneuvers other coasters can't precisely because it wraps around the track instead of sitting on it. He gave the example of the old heartline roll on Maverick. His Raptor track can pull it off because the track can literally be twisted in a straight line causing the outward centrifugal forces to be less intense.

^What you're describing means that the track isn't heartlined. That's probably not what he meant.

I could, however, believe that Maverick's heartline roll would be possible because of stronger track. The reason I've heard for why Maverick had to lose the heartline roll is that it put too much stress on the track, not because of rider safety or comfort. It's certainly possible that a thick raptor track would be able to handle those forces better than the thin rails on other types of track.

...The reason I've heard for why Maverick had to lose the heartline roll is that it put too much stress on the track, not because of rider safety or comfort...

I thought everything that has ever been published, or said by park/Intamin representatives about why Maverick's heartline roll was removed was due to rider safety and comfort. Not so much the stress on the track.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

I read something awhile back where Fred Grubb said the Raptor has ability to do maneuvers other coasters can't precisely because it wraps around the track instead of sitting on it. He gave the example of the old heartline roll on Maverick. His Raptor track can pull it off because the track can literally be twisted in a straight line causing the outward centrifugal forces to be less intense.
^What you're describing means that the track isn't heartlined. That's probably not what he meant.

It does look like the Raptor track has a much lower heartline than your typical roller coaster, but you will never get a true inline twist unless someone re-hires those misunderstood geniuses that came up with the Ultra Twister, Pipeline Coaster, and / or Spiral Coaster.

Because the track is so narrow, though, a normal heartline roll will still end up looking like a stretched out corkscrew.