TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

The bigger thing was that contract between SF and RMC ending. No longer any reductions in price as a result, so it is probably priced out of their range.

You still have a few parks out there for which nothing has been announced, some with big rumors:

-Silver Dollar City

-Silverwood

-Morey's

-Wild Adventures

-All the Palace parks

-All the CNL parks

-Holiday World

My guess is that Kings Island and SDC will be the two main folks battling for the Golden Ticket for best new attraction of 2017.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger thing was that contract between SF and RMC ending. No longer any reductions in price as a result, so it is probably priced out of their range.

You still have a few parks out there for which nothing has been announced, some with big rumors:

-Silver Dollar City

-Silverwood

-Morey's

-Wild Adventures

-All the Palace parks

-All the CNL parks

-Holiday World

My guess is that Kings Island and SDC will be the two main folks battling for the Golden Ticket for best new attraction of 2017.

SDC has made zero hints at something being announced for 2017 - Many are speculating the land clearing and ride surveys indicate 2018...

^ Good points.

Though with Morey's spending $4mil on The Nor'easter I am fairly certain thats all we'll see from them next year, which is more than fine by me.

I'm really interested to see what they do with that pile of crap. This is kind of an unprecedented move for a park outside of Disney / Universal.

^ While I'd love to see a new coaster, or them spending money on some more awesome flats, the more I think about - I think its a good idea. So many of the comments on that video they posted about it closing are negative with lots of "don't remove it", etc. Its been there 21 years, and most people that go to Wildwood go every year. I hate to admit it but it is a bit of an WW boardwalk icon at this point. I personally loved it for years, thankfully I have broadened my horizons in the last few years.

But this way they can keep a ride people have nostalgia for, but update it so it doesn't suck so much. It would also be a total bitch to remove it and install something else due to its location and interaction with the flume and waterpark. I'm very interested to see if/how much it improves the ride, and also curious to see if other parks with SLC's follow suit. I'll definitely be down opening weekend for the new and (hopefully) improved Nor'easter. In addition to the track replacement, paintjob and name, I'm hearing murmurs of new magnetic brakes and updated/altered trains. Hoping they detail the project a bit more for us after it closes Monday.

Anyways, back to RMC... /threadjack

^^ I am assuming that means Kentucky Kingdom? Would it have killed you to type that out?

I'm just really shocked Six Flags isn't installing a single RMC. I thought for sure they'd throw us a curve ball this morning with La Ronde (Monstre) or St Louis (Boss) getting one. Not losing any sleep over it just surprised.

Overall a really dead year for coasters in the U.S. all around, no? Other than BGW and Kings Island. No B&Ms, RMCs or Intamins.

Only 8 parks in the US have announced new coasters for 2017. Compare that to 32 in 2016 and 41 in 2015. I think there is more on the way.

2010 - 20

2011 - 26

2012 - 26

2013 - 27

2014 - 28

2015 - 41

2016 - 32

2017 - 8

[Numbers from RCDB.com]

^^ I am assuming that means Kentucky Kingdom? Would it have killed you to type that out?

I'm just really shocked Six Flags isn't installing a single RMC. I thought for sure they'd throw us a curve ball this morning with La Ronde (Monstre) or St Louis (Boss) getting one. Not losing any sleep over it just surprised.

Overall a really dead year for coasters in the U.S. all around, no? Other than BGW and Kings Island. No B&Ms, RMCs or Intamins.

Only 8 parks in the US have announced new coasters for 2017. Compare that to 32 in 2016 and 41 in 2015. I think there is more on the way.

2010 - 20

2011 - 26

2012 - 26

2013 - 27

2014 - 28

2015 - 41

2016 - 32

2017 - 8

[Numbers from RCDB.com]

It's actually only 7, EDA's Kersplash is relocated, and the Slinky Dog coaster opening year is merely a guess at this point! RCDB also doesn't list the SWSA family launched coaster supposed to open next year. The thing is, there doesn't seem to be anything major left to announce in the US. I'm sure more coasters will be built, but they'll mostly be tiny or clones.

Those lists often expand over time as kiddie coasters opening in bowling alleys and mini golf facilities end up being "discovered". Here's 2016 in North America:

7 were new SBF kiddie spinners

5 were mountain coasters

5 were relocated coasters

3 were Orient Expresses

That's more than half the list. We could easily end up past 30 still.

I believe that there is going to be at least one RMC coaster coming out for next season. There were apparently photos on their Instagram of them CNC cutting parts for trains. They do not produce the cars for the S&S Free Spins, so that rules those out.

I'm expecting either a smaller park to come out of nowhere with an addition (such as Silverwood), or RMC Mean Streak still being in the works. Considering how small the expansion for Cedar Point will be, it's still very plausible that they can do both projects at once.

I believe that there is going to be at least one RMC coaster coming out for next season. There were apparently photos on their Instagram of them CNC cutting parts for trains. They do not produce the cars for the S&S Free Spins, so that rules those out.

I'm expecting either a smaller park to come out of nowhere with an addition (such as Silverwood), or RMC Mean Streak still being in the works. Considering how small the expansion for Cedar Point will be, it's still very plausible that they can do both projects at once.

What will replace Mean Streak is still to come. CP seems like they will mention something when they "lay Mean Streak to rest" in their ride graveyard the opening night of Haunt. Whether that involves RMC is up in the air. Coin flip at best, IMO. That would be the most obvious chance at an announcement for an RMC project.

I cant help but wonder if the four projects RMC had on tap for 2017 (according to Alan Schilke) may have been pushed back due to the Lightning Rod debacle.

I don't know where people keep getting this four projects thing from, no one has been able to actually produce any evidence of Alan saying this, or even Fred, no videos, quotes or anything. I don't recall any of them ever saying anything about 2017, never mind these apparent four projects in the works. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I cant help but wonder if the four projects RMC had on tap for 2017 (according to Alan Schilke) may have been pushed back due to the Lightning Rod debacle.

I don't know where people keep getting this four projects thing from, no one has been able to actually produce any evidence of Alan saying this, or even Fred, no videos, quotes or anything. I don't recall any of them ever saying anything about 2017, never mind these apparent four projects in the works. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Its an interview with Alan at IAAPA in 2014, its on youtube look it up.

^Interesting, I've found it and he does indeed say that. If that's still going ahead then we certainly do have a lot to look forward to still!

Just watched the video and he did indeed say there were 4 projects for 2017, but then added that included S&S projects. Since we now know there are 3 of those coming (check at the 19:59 mark), that leaves 1 more .......I would look towards Ohio if I were a betting man.

I highly doubt it. That sort of situation is why companies have different teams for different projects. Just because one team is dealing with whatever is going on with Lightning Rod doesn't mean that other teams will stop designing center lines, selling coasters to parks, manufacturing track, or other things.

• 7 months later...