TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

looks very similar to the original concept layout for the T-Rex (video below), so was wondering if they had swapped the layouts around that they were using for the Raptor track. They did say that it would be a cookie cutter, i.e off the shelf layout, like a megalite.

They don't look a thing alike. Not even a little bit. Raptor and the woodie are the same layout, yes, because they're being marketed for the same clients, but the T-Rex isn't even close to being similar in design.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks very similar to the original concept layout for the T-Rex (video below), so was wondering if they had swapped the layouts around that they were using for the Raptor track. They did say that it would be a cookie cutter, i.e off the shelf layout, like a megalite.

They don't look a thing alike. Not even a little bit. Raptor and the woodie are the same layout, yes, because they're being marketed for the same clients, but the T-Rex isn't even close to being similar in design.

Exactly

I didn't say it was the same as that layout, I agree that it is nothing like the layout you are thinking about. I said the Raptor Double Out layout was similar to the T-Rex concept layout, i.e the first drop into the dive loop, the outside banked turnaround (although at opposite ends, and probably won't have a launch after it on the Raptor version).

I know it might be hard to tell as it is in profile in the picture, but look again at the picture I posted of the double out layout and hopefully you will see what I mean.

I didn't say it was the same as that layout, I agree that it is nothing like the layout you are thinking about. I said the Raptor Double Out layout was similar to the T-Rex concept layout

I see what you're saying, but they're still completely different. Maybe if you took chunks of both and rearranged them in a different order you'd have something similar.

I didn't say it was the same as that layout, I agree that it is nothing like the layout you are thinking about. I said the Raptor Double Out layout was similar to the T-Rex concept layout

I see what you're saying, but they're still completely different. Maybe if you took chunks of both and rearranged them in a different order you'd have something similar.

+1

Something I hadn't seen anyone mention yet... Seatbelts on the Raptor trains? Talk about painful airtime.

In reference to the T-Rex video, I'm not a big fan of the YOLO "stop'n'start" or the see-sawing snippets of launches to get over a hill. I don't mind it so much with the Sky Rocket II coasters because I think it's a clever and necessary way to make that layout work, but I think it's too much of a gimmick otherwise. Where others might see a build-up of suspense, I see a wrench thrown into the momentum. I'm not against a mid-course launch, but I'd prefer to stay in forward motion (Maverick).

• 1 month later...

RMC has designed and built several original woodies with Topper Track but so far all of the I Box track coasters are conversions of existing coasters. I wonder if they ever plan on designing an original I Box coaster? I think that track would look sweet on more traditional steel coaster supports rather than the girder look of woodies.

RMC has designed and built several original woodies with Topper Track but so far all of the I Box track coasters are conversions of existing coasters. I wonder if they ever plan on designing an original I Box coaster? I think that track would look sweet on more traditional steel coaster supports rather than the girder look of woodies.
Goliath at Great America was a brand new I-Box coaster.

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone!

Here's some exciting news! Rocky Mountain has just sent us some renderings of a totally new roller coaster type they are producing. Here is what they told me about this prototype:

Robb, here are some photos and new renderings of our new TRex track for you to share with your group. This is essentially a monorail type coaster, all steel.

We have just produced the one piece of red track in the photos so far. We have a lot of interest in this coaster track system, so there will be coasters built in the near future utilizing this track and cars. Just can't say where or when... You know the drill

Come visit us at IAAPA this year, we'll have some the renderings to show and we can chat more about this new ride system!

I don't know about you, but this looks AWESOME!!! I love how innovative company is being! Totally turning the industry on it's side!

Superb construction, how can I ride on this?

Edited by Hhappy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So now that Six Flags and Cedar Fair have made their 2017 announcements anyone think we'll see ANY RMC's going up anywhere next year? Also no T-Rex anywhere. Kinda strange, they seemed to be a roll.

^^ I am assuming that means Kentucky Kingdom? Would it have killed you to type that out?

I'm just really shocked Six Flags isn't installing a single RMC. I thought for sure they'd throw us a curve ball this morning with La Ronde (Monstre) or St Louis (Boss) getting one. Not losing any sleep over it just surprised.

Overall a really dead year for coasters in the U.S. all around, no? Other than BGW and Kings Island. No B&Ms, RMCs or Intamins.