TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

Anyone have a ballpark guess at what the cost savings of T-Rex track will be?

As of late, Six Flags isn't making any super significant investments (>$12-13 million) at any parks... Would a T-Rex hyper be in the $15m range or would it creep closer to $20m?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a ballpark guess at what the cost savings of T-Rex track will be?

As of late, Six Flags isn't making any super significant investments (>$12-13 million) at any parks... Would a T-Rex hyper be in the $15m range or would it creep closer to $20m?

Nobody will have any idea until an official animation is released and RMC provides some info. The prices also aren't precisely just the cost of the material/manufacture of the steel... the reason B&M coasters are so ridiculously expensive is because there's essentially a 100% chance the ride won't be severely flawed or defective and will run every single day it needs to. The reason the first RMC projects were $10 million or cheaper was because they were a new-ish company and had everything to prove. That time has apparently expired and RMC charges SF "full" price for each project.

The point is, "full" price is determined by the manufacturer. If RMC coasters remain in such high demand they can charge whatever they want for them and not relay the cost-savings to the customer. Why would they need to if parks are going to purchase whether they're $10 million or $30 million? For this reason there's really no way to know how much material they actually save unless RMC were to release a comparison of the amount of material used and its cost for each individual project and the cost to the customer (which they don't do).

I just made my own interpretation of RMC's T-REX track:

- A triangular shape instead of a box spine (only two metal sheets instead of three). Note that those are a wee too fine in my model, but that's the idea.

- Hole cuts for a less bulky look.

I have no idea how realistic it is, but I somehow like the look of it.

People have been saying things like "What would this track design do in terms of innovation?" among other questions. I like to think that it opens RMC up to a myriad of new opportunities. Such as bringing their flowing coaster designs that they have displayed with the wooden/steel hybrids they have created to the world of both all steel designs, and inverted coasters. None of us have much of a clue as to what they will utilize this track design for, but personally, the aesthetic look of either an up right or inverted coaster flying along a ribbon of steel is fairly pleasing. I know I may be contested on that opinion, but that's just me.

Edited by larrygator

NO. We can't let Rocky Mountain win! More Intamin Mega Lites! MORE!

Honestly, in terms of what we experience as guests / coaster junkies, I think that the only thing that the new track has going for it is that it will give Rocky Mountain's coasters a new, distinct look, and that's it. We already know that they can come up with some crazy aerobatic elements in their rides, and I think that the new style will be much more "evolution" than "revolution" in terms of end-user experience.

That being said, there's obviously a huge advantage for them as company, be it in design, manufacturing, construction, or whatever, so more power to them for coming up with a design that works.

It's funny watching everyone go Gaga over a potential T-Rex, when all I care about is who is getting that first Raptor design! That thing looks incredible.

Bigger isn't always better.

I'm a proponent of the raptor track as well, seems like the closest I'll get to riding a mega lite (other than Lightning Run which I may get to ride this year).

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=945166a45fd3bb8a7d1618b40&id=33cb1dfe65

I don't know if this has been posted or not but RMC just put on their Facebook a video about their Raptor track and new compact wooden coaster. Can't wait to see who gets these!

Also interesting single seat cars on the Raptor.

All pictures credit to RMC

compact-wooden-coaster.thumb.jpg.83cd8689eaccf716f1cf075212c478f9.jpg

raptor-track.thumb.jpg.95bf40f7be90b5031a7ca77497a1795e.jpg

compact-wooden-coaster-car.thumb.jpg.61e60bf028eeba8cf77039a521def576.jpg

raptor-train.thumb.jpg.00dc27d6b66099c787dc45727ab927a1.jpg

[vimeo]

[/vimeo] Edited by PVA62

^Dorney Park take note

I agree. Either of those two models would be perfect because capacity isn't a huge problem there with the longest line being the wild mouse

Also that would probably take Great adventure out for getting the raptor design because it only has 1 seat per row and they said 400-600 pph which is not that high (Although it probably will have similar capacity to The Joker, so not all hope is lost). IMO, if great adventure ever gets an rmc product it will be a T-Rex.

People had talked about this Raptor track coaster style being almost like an alpine coaster before details were really released, and they were right! I have never seen such a thing like this apart from Space Mountain and alpine coasters before! I adore RMC for their innovation, they are waaaay ahead of the curve literally and figuratively

The wood coaster was also on my mind before, because in this day and age, RMC really is the best way to get attention and visitors. I'd dreamed about making a compact RMC woodie design, and they beat me as usual! That doesn't mean I can't make one anyway

Hmmmm, that compact woodie seems like it could fit where BGW's new coaster is going.

I'd doubt it being so compact for the high amount of hype they're creating so far... if anything it would be a bit more spread out and custom

They would hype up any wooden coaster due to that fact it would be the first ever at the park.

I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about, just look at the pictures. The layout is exactly the same just you can get it in Raptor track or the mini Topper track. The T-Rex has nothing to do with either of these.

That's what I was wondering, if they are using that layout for Raptor AND Topper track coasters.

I mentioned the T-Rex because this Raptor Double Out layout,

looks very similar to the original concept layout for the T-Rex (video below), so was wondering if they had swapped the layouts around that they were using for the Raptor track. They did say that it would be a cookie cutter, i.e off the shelf layout, like a megalite.