TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

Anyway, back on topic, really wondering if any of the 2017 coasters will be a TREX design. My bet is that CF will build one first, or SF will put one in a park lacking an "RMC-able" woodie, along with converting one of the other major woodies at another park (the Boss at SFStL maybe?).

If things continue as they have gone, a Herschend park would be the one to get the first coaster with this design since RMC and Herschend have done things together in the past with Outlaw Run at SDC and now Lightning Rod at Dollywood.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF SDC does anything with T-Rex (and I don't see it as likely), the ride would have to be substantially different from Outlaw Run and Wildfire. They don't just build a new coaster because it's been a couple of years; they build one because it offers a ride experience that they don't currently offer.

IF SDC does anything with T-Rex (and I don't see it as likely), the ride would have to be substantially different from Outlaw Run and Wildfire. They don't just build a new coaster because it's been a couple of years; they build one because it offers a ride experience that they don't currently offer.

I'm sure RMC will make any T-Rex coasters different than any coaster that is currently built. Almost every park has a ride similar to Wildfire it just might be inverted or floorless instead of sit-down.

My money is the prototype will go to GAdv in Chiller's old spot. The concept art looks very similar to the animation of the dueling launched coasters in the attractions survey the park sent out a couple months ago. Initially, the monorail-looking track looked to be the cause of crappy animation, but now it makes a lot more sense. The ride type and layout would be a perfect fit for Old Country/Movietown, and out of all SF parks I'd say it is the most likeky to be granted the prototype.

Any thoughts on what the Raptor (is that what the smaller track is called?) could be used for? Lots of excitement coming out of RMC!!

From the interview I saw that another site did, The guy from RMC who came off exactly as Robb was describing in the IAAPA thread of I don't want to do this, this is not what I'm here for lol. He said the T-rex track was for your much larger installations that had the much bigger drops and extreme speeds. He then went on to say the Raptor track was for smaller installations the ones with smaller foot prints twisty track inversions. So I'm guessing the dueling coaster in the promo is using the raptor track and not the T-rex track.

I'm really thinking the T-rex track will be used for RMCs first Steel Hyper/Giga or something launched extremely fast, The Raptor track will be used for their steel coasters that are multi-inverting twisty.

My money is the prototype will go to GAdv in Chiller's old spot. The concept art looks very similar to the animation of the dueling launched coasters in the attractions survey the park sent out a couple months ago. Initially, the monorail-looking track looked to be the cause of crappy animation, but now it makes a lot more sense. The ride type and layout would be a perfect fit for Old Country/Movietown, and out of all SF parks I'd say it is the most likeky to be granted the prototype.

This is exactly what I've been thinking

Considering that SFOT got the first IBox in 2011 for their 50th anniversary, wouldn't it make sense that the 2nd park in the chain got the next innovative product from RMC for the 50th?

no.

I agree. If SFOG does get this product, it won't be because of some silly anniversary. There's no way they could market that and it's not good business sense. Parks get major investments because it's a good time for it and they intend to grow, not celebrate some silly anniversary and coincidental number with RMC products. SF makes some stupid decisions but not like that.

Considering that SFOT got the first IBox in 2011 for their 50th anniversary, wouldn't it make sense that the 2nd park in the chain got the next innovative product from RMC for the 50th?

no.

I agree. If SFOG does get this product, it won't be because of some silly anniversary. There's no way they could market that and it's not good business sense. Parks get major investments because it's a good time for it and they intend to grow, not celebrate some silly anniversary and coincidental number with RMC products. SF makes some stupid decisions but not like that.

It was just an idea, and this is the same company that markets Super Loops as coasters and somehow marketed a Boomerang. Anyway, why wouldn't you get a large coaster such as this for a big anniversary? Why else did SFOT get NTAG for their anniversary then? It would get people through the gates, and by then, it would have been 6 years since DDD. In that time frame, the park has added a lot for every other demographic except for the coaster riders.

From my conversation with the RMC guys at IAAPA, the T-REX track is indeed for the larger and taller models. They can do a traditional lift and/or launch. In fact the video of the concept they were showing off included both on the same track.

The Raptor track is a smaller gauge of the T-Rex. The concept they were showing for this actually had 'in-line' trains and featured numerous airtime moments and inversions. I have video of both.

T-REX

(This concept has the initial lift with a mid-course launch where the two trains will duel on the same track)

RAPTOR:

Edited by hydra

^ Both concepts look amazing!! I can't wait to see which park is the first to get the T-Rex concept.

(p.s) Both links you posted go to the same video. However, I was able to find the right one by looking at your videos!!

Thanks for sharing!

no.

It was just an idea, and this is the same company that markets Super Loops as coasters and somehow marketed a Boomerang. Anyway, why wouldn't you get a large coaster such as this for a big anniversary? Why else did SFOT get NTAG for their anniversary then? It would get people through the gates, and by then, it would have been 6 years since DDD. In that time frame, the park has added a lot for every other demographic except for the coaster riders.

Because that's not how business works. Anniversaries mean nothing. They can be used to market something, but they're meaningless of themselves, for the simple fact that people don't keep track of a business's anniversaries, nor do they have any expectations associated with it.

A business also doesn't add a product because it's been a while; it's because it will produce a return on investment. Let's assume that you are correct that a new coaster will increase attendance. That is generally a good assumption. By how much would that coaster increase attendance relative to other, cheaper options? If you can buy a $1 million ride and bring 100,000 people next year, that's better than buying a $15 million ride and bringing in 200,000. Then you also must ask if your park can handle the increase. Maybe you can do an extra 100,000 but not 200,000. Buy the smaller, cheaper ride that promises a level of growth you can handle. What of in-park spending? 200,000 who by a ticket and nothing else are not as good as 100,000 who buy meals, drinks, and souvenirs. There's a lot to think about when considering a new capital expenditure.

A business also doesn't add a product because it's been a while; it's because it will produce a return on investment. Let's assume that you are correct that a new coaster will increase attendance. That is generally a good assumption. By how much would that coaster increase attendance relative to other, cheaper options? If you can buy a $1 million ride and bring 100,000 people next year, that's better than buying a $15 million ride and bringing in 200,000. Then you also must ask if your park can handle the increase. Maybe you can do an extra 100,000 but not 200,000. Buy the smaller, cheaper ride that promises a level of growth you can handle. What of in-park spending? 200,000 who by a ticket and nothing else are not as good as 100,000 who buy meals, drinks, and souvenirs. There's a lot to think about when considering a new capital expenditure.

Mind sending this to the various discussion threads that have the discussion of a new coaster every week?

From my conversation with the RMC guys at IAAPA, the T-REX track is indeed for the larger and taller models. They can do a traditional lift and/or launch. In fact the video of the concept they were showing off included both on the same track.

The Raptor track is a smaller gauge of the T-Rex. The concept they were showing for this actually had 'in-line' trains and featured numerous airtime moments and inversions. I have video of both.

T-REX

(This concept has the initial lift with a mid-course launch where the two trains will duel on the same track)

RAPTOR:

Wow! Both those concepts look amazing! I'd imagine the TREX coaster is the proposed SFGAdv coaster if I had to guess.

I also remember hearing that the raptor track is supposed to be for clone coasters. If the layout they're planning to clone is anything like the video, that'd be amazing! Hopefully some smaller parks can afford them.