TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Awesome retro pics from Astroworld (& Six Flags Astroworld)

I searched for an Astroworld thread, and other than a trip report, and a video thread I started last year, couldn't find one, and wanted to share these awesome pics!

My 30 year High School reunion is coming up soon, and in a "memory" page published last night, one of my HS friends posted a link to these FANTASTIC Astroworld pics (from 1968-1990).

they are credited to Josh Burdick, and as a photo gallery on Smug Mug.. so will just link them in that way (since I don't know if my friend knows Burdick (maybe married to him nowadays?).

regardless, the pics are too good to not share!

Here's the full gallery:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun pictures! Astroworld was one of those parks I wanted to go to, but of course never did. Ashamed Six Flags sold out to a developer who never did anything with it.

I agree with how awesome these pics were. Any chance you could upload them to this thread to preserve them so it stays on the forum? (I've seen so many old threads that the links eventually are broke, etc.)

Fun pictures! Astroworld was one of those parks I wanted to go to, but of course never did. Ashamed Six Flags sold out to a developer who never did anything with it.

I agree with how awesome these pics were. Any chance you could upload them to this thread to preserve them so it stays on the forum? (I've seen so many old threads that the links eventually are broke, etc.)

I did try, but since the pics are copyrighted to the photographer, the only way is to purchase them

(tho some of them are amazing..in particular that one of the Astroneedle)

Why did it end up closing? Low attendance? Running out of money? An accident?

As a Local (well, was until mid 80's). . here's my 2cents.

the park was not well taken care of, and in particular the mid 90's, it got taken over by gangs.

The Park *did* address that, as best they could, but I'd be lying if I said I ever felt completely safe when going there at any point in the 90's, even tho I maintained my season pass, and used to visit when I would go home to visit parents.

add to that the park really was pretty locked in land wise, and did not have a lot of room for expansion, so they never really were able to add anything new, without removing something. (the big exception being Waterworld, which was great for the first few years, the but moment they started including it with Astroworld/Season Pass entry (you used to have to buy a separate Waterworld pass, or upgrade), they started having gang issues there too.

But the bottom line? The land, across the street from the Astrodomain Complex, was considered very valuable, and Six Flags sold it for a large profit (from what i understand) to a developer. . who bulldozed it and then the economy started it's decline. So it's just a vast, empty field still.

but it was great for a few years when we had within a drive of our home, Astroworld, SFoT, and SFFT. .. and a season pass got you into all 3 (tho if I recall, SFFT hadn't added much in way of "rides" before Astroworld closed, as it had just fairly recently become a Six Flags park).

anyways. .that's my 2cents

I did try, but since the pics are copyrighted to the photographer, the only way is to purchase them

ahhhh ok! I thought they were your pictures. I did not realize they are copyrighted. Good call NOT to post them in that case, but thanks for sharing the link.

Nice pictures! Houston sucks without astroworld really it does!

they've been trying, for years now, to get another park up and running.

I'm guessing regardless of the excuses they are using for the delays, some of it must have to do w/ the gang issues . .which nowadays in Houston are worse than they ever were back then.