TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WHo would ride the Crystal Beach Cyclone

:shock:

Who here would ride the crystal beach cyclone.

Say some super rich crazy man rebuilt the ride, would you travel to ride it, and would you rather have modern restraints to try to control the extreme g's, or just a lap bar and a seatbelt?

Here is a description from the Coaster Force Website

One of a series of Cyclone wooden twisters designed and built by the late Harry Traver. Although the rides were very similar, it was the Crystal Beach version that became infamous. The ride was a mass of outrageous twists, tight turns and diving drops, which were painful to ride because of high-speed and lateral-G. A nurse was posted at the station of the ride because so many people were ill or in pain, and few ever rode twice. This was the downfall of the Crystal Beach Cyclone; people fled to see the monster but did not want to ride it. After it failed to cover it's large running costs, it was demolished in the late forties and stored in a warehouse. The ride rose once again, soon after albeit in an out & back form - The Crystal Beach Comet, on a site near to the original position. This ride was also demolished although it was later rescued by The Great Escape theme park, who known own it as The Comet.

The original Crystal Beach Cyclone has a unique diving drop which was horrendously intense.

And here is a picture if the first drop

I would really want to try it out, but in this case, some good OTSR wouldn't be such a bad idea

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found this interview from a person who actually rode the coaster

BTW this is from Coasterglobe.com

"My most memorable ride in an amusement park occurred in July 1945, when I was on military leave in St. Catharines, Ontario. I had just turned 18 and had been in the Canadian Army for about 8 months. My two buddies and I spent a part of our leave in Crystal Beach, Ontario, which at that time was considered to be one of the greatest places for servicemen to have a good time. Besides, Crystal Beach was famous for having the most thrilling roller coaster ride in the Western Hemisphere. Being soldiers of course, and having been trained for all kinds of warfare, we had "no fear" of anything, except perhaps Military Police, and since we were on a legal pass, there was "nothing to fear". As soon as we entered the park one evening, we headed straight for the roller coaster, which was identified with a huge sign announcing "The Cyclone--Thrill of a Lifetime". After listening to the loud screams coming from the roller coaster, we decided that we must go on it right away, and promptly bought our tickets, which were I think about 15 cents or maybe 20 cents. We then stood in the line-up near the entrance gate, which happened to be very close to where the previous passengers got off. It was then that I first noticed the distinctive smell of vomit which was stronger as we got closer to the loading point. It was a bit disconcerting, but I was then immediately distracted by getting a whack in the face from something kind of leathery. It turned out to be a wallet which had fallen from the ride, and we opened it and it had a US Navy ID Card in it. As soon as the ride stopped, we saw the US sailor getting off the ride and called to him. He looked a bit dazed, and did not realize what had happened to his wallet.

It was then our turn to ride, and we ran to the coaster cars. Up the steep ramp we went, up, up and then up some more until we could see the entire amusement park. Just as I was enjoying the view, the car lurched forward and I looked in front of me down a steep incline that looked to me to be about an 89 degree slope. The cars then headed down the incline at warp speed, and all I could see in front of us was Lake Erie. I was sure there must have been a part of the tracks missing, and I then uttered my only two words during the entire ride... "Jesus Christ!" ...as we plunged down towards the Lake, I then saw a steep bank to the right of the incline and we changed directions in a split second, turning violently on our side as the car careened around a hairpin turn. I looked sideways and saw the earth spinning by, and from that point on, most of the ride was pretty much of a blur. The only other memorable part was as we reached a high horizontal point again, we were racing around a curve at such speed that it seemed certain that we would fly off into thin air. Very frankly, I was quite relieved to see the cars finally slowing down...even then, they approached the unloading platform at such a speed that one would think they would overshoot and go right into the spectators.

When I walked off the unloading platform, I couldn't help but smell the vomit again, and in fact, walked away from the area fairly promptly in order to resettle my own stomach."

-Ed Mills, Rider of the Cyclone

If I had the chance to ride it. I would. I dont see why I wouldnt...

*Hopes GCI makes a new clone of it*

I have a real photo of one of the 2? clones that were made of the ride. One was just a few miles from where I live and my dad had a photo of ti so he gave it to me (The lightning)

I have a real photo of one of the 2? clones that were made of the ride. One was just a few miles from where I live and my dad had a photo of ti so he gave it to me (The lightning)

please PLEASE post it or make it available for download, pictures of those coasters are hard to come by and I would love to see it

I would ride it, and just to go all out I would researve my seat in the rear of the train. Considering the still standing older woodies still spook me, The Cyclone would probably give me a heart attack. At least I could say I rode it though

I saw this picture and thought of the first drop of the cyclone, it doesn't wrap around, but someone was inspired by travers

Here is a pic of Outlaw from Adventureland, Photo taken from RCDB website

Here is a pic of the cyclone

• 6 months later...

ok, now think.......back then the GP was ridding non-looping, no so high orr intense rides. And now days there are very intense rides out there that would compare to the cyclone. Sure it might be rough, but now days that can be fixed. So look at a really intense ride and compare it to the cyclone.

Im sure they can make a replica of it and make it safe.