TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suggestion Box for Rob Decker

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea: Just keep doing what you're doing, because it's obviously working.

B&M makes some of the best park-friendly coasters for those than can afford the up front cost. The rest of the additions seem to be fairly meaningful each year and IMO they've done a really nice job upgrading infrastructure and working in areas the parks need work the most, not just "it's been awhile since a new coaster so... here" like many posters on the smaller Cedar Fair park threads believe.

For me, I would start by working with RMC.

Imagine the excitement Rob will have when someone mentions this wild idea to him!! I can practically see his face lighting up with excitement when some enthusiast tells him tales of the wonderful things they can do to old wooden coasters. When someone suggests that he should call RMC about Mean Streak at Cedar Point (a park he was only just reminded about by another helpful enthusiast) he'll probably run to the phone so quickly with this exciting new idea he'd never thought of before that he'll almost forget to say "Thank you! Thank you Mr. Enthusiast for this outstanding suggestion! If only anyone had ever brought this up to me or I would ever have thought of it I would have called years ago!"

I wasn't trying to state the obvious there. It's just that RMCs are extremely marketable and cheaper than a lot of options on the market at this point. Prices are going up for them too, so it would be best to test one out ASAP. It wouldn't even have to be Mean Streak. There's a bunch more CF coasters I can name off the top of my head that could use work.

I love the notion that some enthusiasts are going to "share their ideas" with someone who does this professionally and thanks to the conversation he'll be enlightened to go RMC Mean Streak and call Intamin as if he's never thought of either of those things before.

Please use suspension of disbelief when replying to this thread!

I love the notion that some enthusiasts are going to "share their ideas" with someone who does this professionally and thanks to the conversation he'll be enlightened to go RMC Mean Streak and call Intamin as if he's never thought of either of those things before.

I think the enthusiast community has some great insights. It's about brainstorming.

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please...

...don't let Kings Island's giga be a B&M!

RMC is so obvious, it's obvious, so much it should happen! One thing would be to find a way to *promote* smootherizing old woodies with Topper track. It really hasn't been done that much. Seems like it would be cheap compared to the full "treatment" but maybe it's hard to avoid the temptation of new trains and then you have to make it a big deal somehow.

But RMC isn't just about the wood or new opportunities for improvement, it's also the wacky elements. I was talking about how the sensations and motions of a suspended coaster could be synthesized on a conventional coaster using software simulation before even seeing any of these RMC designs (actually, inspired by looking at a B&M overbank). That's what they're doing, crafting new sensations. Think how much different Drachen Fire's cutback would have been if they could have properly simulated it. It might have looked the about same but felt much better... especially if they didn't have the need to make something they could call an inversion. So, if not RMC, get innovative design from somewhere.

I also think hilly parks such as BGW and Dollywood offer some unique possibilities for coasters. Seems like something cool could be done for flat parks if they got a family type coaster, not Volcano's mountain but something for the coaster or it truly interacts with, like several little mountains or mesas the coaster winds through, around, and tunnels through.

If you've had the opportunity or if you have spoken to Rob. What ideas would/did you share?

When complaining about the purpose of this thread, please remember that this is all purely hypothetical

yeah, I don't really understand the ridiculous snarky comments above, like "well, I'm sure that Rob would just exclaim 'I've never thought of RMC before!' and run out to call them." I think we all understand that we aren't really having a conversation with Rob in this thread . . . .

California's Great America- B&M Hyper

Canada's Wonderland- B&M Launched Wingrider

Carowinds- B&M Launched Wingrider

Cedar Point- RMC Mean Streak

Dorney Park- GCI Wooden Coaster

Kings Dominion- B&M Invert

Kings Island- Mack Spinning Coaster

Knott's Berry Farm- B&M Giga

Michigan's Adventure- Chance Hyper GT-X

Valleyfair- B&M Invert

Worlds of Fun- Premier SkyLoop

Gilroy Gardens- Flowers

California's Great America- B&M Hyper

Canada's Wonderland- B&M Launched Wingrider

Carowinds- B&M Launched Wingrider

Cedar Point- RMC Mean Streak

Dorney Park- GCI Wooden Coaster

Kings Dominion- B&M Invert

Kings Island- Mack Spinning Coaster

Knott's Berry Farm- B&M Giga

Michigan's Adventure- Chance Hyper GT-X

Valleyfair- B&M Invert

Worlds of Fun- Premier SkyLoop

Gilroy Gardens- Flowers

Wow thats a lot of B&M

Is that because of CF's love affair with B&M or are you just a big fan of them?

1) Revisit the importance and richness in having a *classic* wood coaster (NO seat dividers, individual ratchet bars, headrests), and other classic rides such as a Schwarzkopf Wildcat, etc.

Classic "Carnival Rides" like a double Ferris wheel (Sky Wheel?) or Zipper (CP would probably need 2 of these for capacity reasons) could be quite nice if the presentation is right.

Modern, big, smooth, record breaking rides are GREAT! But nothing beats the classics. Having both would be awesome! People love historic stuff... not to be confused with once historic stuff that is now ultra-modernized and loses that important classic feel, like Blue Streak (I know it's still very popular and runs well, but it's a completely different experience for many of us that knew the ride well before the 95/96 train changes). It has lost that fun and effortless "flying" action over the hills due to the heavy and odd equipment.

There are undoubtedly hurdles in obtaining, maintaining, and approving old equipment, but with the resources Cedar Fair has, it would be worth the time and cost. The brake upgrades to Comet and Waldameer, combined with vintage-but-kept-like-new running stock, make the ride a beautiful example of a classic coaster. Other fine examples are the Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit at Kennywood.

2) Updating old rides with theme elements (I know I know, CP is not a theme park, but the rides still have characteristic names), maybe some fog, tunnels, etc. It would be GREAT to see a CF park (or any park) to try out adding a pre-lift section to a coaster. Give the oldies a new life, re-do, etc.

3) High capacity HAUNTED HOUSE (said deliberately instead of dark ride, but any sort of dark ride would be welcome!) Again, a classic feeling ride would be great (imagine a longer, higher capacity and modern-controlled version of Conneaut's Devil's Den or Camden's Haunted House!)