TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards - 2015

I don't know I don't have a huge issue with the results this year. I actually think this poll is headed in the right direction but they're not going to fix everything overnight. The poll is far from perfect but it's also much better than it was a few years ago.

Okay, so I stand by this but I do have a few comments after reading through the top 50 in each category...

1) What am I apparently missing with Intimidator at Carowinds? I like the ride... I'm sure everyone here who's ridden it had fun on it but as far as hypers go I rank it below many of the others. How that ride beat Leviathan, Nemesis, New Texas Giant, I305, Maverick and a bunch of others I'll never understand. Is there really anyone that thinks Intimidator at Carowinds is better than Maverick? I305? Really?

2) I like Nitro but I'm starting to believe that this is one of the most overrated B&M's ever built.

3) Steel Force doesn't belong on a top steel coasters list... that's ridiculous. Neither does Bizarro at Great Adventure.

4) Flying Turns tied for the 21st best wood coaster? Flying Turns? How the hell did that beat Twister?

5) I actually agree with Millennium Force being #1.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) I like Nitro but I'm starting to believe that this is one of the most overrated B&M's ever built.

I feel the same. I like Nitro as well and it's one of my favorite hypers, but the ending is really lame. It slowly crawls back from the MCBR and there is no air at all. I would prefer Behemoth over Nitro any day.

The problem with any subjective poll like this is the difference between "best" and "favorite" when people vote.

My "favorite" rides are not objectively the "best" rides I've been on. The same thing happens with movies. I promise you, Jurassic Park, Top Gun, Blazing Saddles, Aladdin, and Sleeping Beauty are not the "best" movies I've seen, but they are still my favorites.

This results list is full of "favorites" and doesn't actually represent a "best" at anything except popularity.

I just updated the first post so that all of the coaster rankings are to the Top 50.

How did Whizzer beat Olympia Looping and Medusa Steel Coaster? I enjoyed Whizzer, don't get me wrong, but I would rather ride Olympia Looping or Medusa Steel Coaster.

Lots of complaints about Intimidator here... its not its absolute ranking I find confusing, its the relativity and inconsistency in the voting that makes no sense. If it can rank 7 or 8, then why is Behemoth - a remarkably similar ride - ten spots behind it... with I305 and Dragster in between them somehow? And how can Bizarro finish 2 and Ride of Steel not even crack the top 50??

I just updated the first post so that all of the coaster rankings are to the Top 50.

How did Whizzer beat Olympia Looping and Medusa Steel Coaster? I enjoyed Whizzer, don't get me wrong, but I would rather ride Olympia Looping or Medusa Steel Coaster.

I think it looked better before

How the **** are some of those trash coasters in the top 50 when S:RoS isn't in there at all? Skyrush, I305, and Maverick are way too low on the list. I know that's my personal opinion, but most of the board here would agree with me I would imagine. It's like people will vote down on all other rides to get their precious favorites on top.

Lots of complaints about Intimidator here... its not its absolute ranking I find confusing, its the relativity and inconsistency in the voting that makes no sense. If it can rank 7 or 8, then why is Behemoth - a remarkably similar ride - ten spots behind it... with I305 and Dragster in between them somehow? And how can Bizarro finish 2 and Ride of Steel not even crack the top 50??

Bizarro/Superman is not a clone like the other two at DL and SFA, I believe bizarro/superman has a better combo of airtime and forces than the two mirrored clones which is why it ranks so much higher.

Impossible really to do a "subjective" list of the best coasters because the whole idea of being a coaster enthusiast is all about personal preference. What I like...others might not....what might be a good coaster to me....might not be to others. That seems to be the case on the TPR forums..and that is kind of the idea really. I don't take offence at the list....because I take it as an opinion guide only. No right or wrong really.

So the Top 50 steel coasters...to me is really just a list of what some of the enthusiasts think are GOOD coasters. The order is not really all that relevant.

Millennium Force is not my number 1.....does it make it a crap coaster though??? Of course not! I actually like the GTAs simply because it gives me an idea of some of the rides that are considered popular in the coaster community.

You could have some fun with these awards though. There was some "census" recently (can't remember where) where a group of people were trying to get "Jedi knight" recognised as an official religion. Supposedly if enough people put this as their religion on the census form there was a law somewhere stating it could be recognised as such. Apply this to coasters....pick the crappest one you know...and try to get enough other coaster folk to agree to vote it as the BEST for the GTAs.....imagine the top 50 steel coaster list with say "Flight deck" (worst at Canada's wonderland) topping the rankings because 2000 people voted for it to be so!!

Edited by Married a Canadian

Make it simple. Everyone on tpr vote for best steel, best wood ect ect. Most votes for ect wins best wood or steel ect ect. Simple.

Until you compare demographics and find out a majority live closest to the East Coast parks, this skewing the ratings of "best" away from the smaller Midwest parks.

^ Have to agree with you there.

While I like the fact that it is obvious that more seasoned enthusiasts are voting (IE: Europa winning best park), there are still quite a few head-scratchers in terms of overall ratings - many of which have already been mentioned.

It just proves that Mitch Hawker's poll is the only way to go!

^^ They still shouldn't be separated by more than 50+ spots though!

I think it's because Bizarro actually has a good layout and some great airtime and forces while the other clones do absolutely nothing.

Have you ridden either of the clones? Because they are both amazing rides that combine speed with amazing ejector airtime. The forces are far more intense than pretty much all B&Ms on that list. Bizarro is superior to both, but they're not that far off. Not only is that poll a popularity contest, but the smaller parks don't get appreciated as much either.

If anything all Intamin hypers should be on that list before a Morgan hyper even touches the top 50.