TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Forgotten about roller coasters, and rides??

I was browsing over on RCDB, and I came across a coaster that I had forgot had even been built, and it was a newer, slightly major coaster. I started to wonder how many other roller coasters/thrill rides are at parks that you forget are even there until someone says something about it, or you read something about it. There are even major coasters that I remember watching construction of that I forget even exist.

It can be major rides, minor rides, coasters, dark rides, anything at the park that is of some significance to the park, and you forget that it is even there.

A few of mine are:

Raptor at Gardaland.

Helix at Liseberg.

Thirteen at Alton Towers.

Judge Roy Scream at SFOT.

(I'm sure I will think of more as time goes by.)

So, what are yours?? What attractions do you forget are even at a park??

(P.S. -- Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I did a search and went through like 50 pages, and came up with nothing similar.)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one I completely forgot about was Firehawk at Kings Island. It wasn't until we were booking our trip that I even remembered that it was there, and I only remembered that it was there because I read it online when we were buying Fast Lane Plus. To our surprise it turned out to be one of our favorite coasters in the park.

I feel like a lot of good coaster get out shined, or over shadowed by new, taller, faster coasters.

Vertical Velocity at Six Flags Great America, or better yet any Intamin Impulse that's not Volcano at KD or Wicked Twister at CP.

Totally agree, I rode my first Intamin Impulse last month (V2 at SFDK) and absolutely loved it. It was really a fun ride and I ended up riding it like 5 or 6 times due to it never having much of a line. Superman and Medusa (and soon RMC Roar) get all of the attention at SFDK, but V2 is an excellent coaster that tends to get overlooked. These coasters don't take up much room, so I wonder why more parks haven't installed them?

Basically every coaster Hershey has that isn't Intamin or Great Bear. Comet, Sooperdooperlooper, Lightning Racer, etc. are all fantastic rides that tend to be overlooked by much of the enthusiast community simply because the big-name steel coasters (sometimes literally) overshadow them.

Superman at SFFT.

It was my first ever visit to SFFT earlier this year and I loved the entire place, but Superman came out of left field and surprised the hell out of me! Don't get me wrong, iRat is still the king of the park, but Supes was a 100% solid ride from start to finish and is easily the best B&M sit-down I've been on. Yeah, even better than Hulk, you weirdos. Hulk has a great first half and a snoozefest second half. Supes just keeps asking you "who's your daddy?" the entire time!

Bizarro @ Great Adv.

Not only is it tucked into a corner with not much else around, but it never has a line, theming is decent, effects are great when working (which is more often than not) and it's the most solid, forceful floorless I've done yet.

All of Darien Lake's rides besides Ride of Steel and the water park. Seems like many people when they go to Darien Lake they always seem to kind of forget everything else in dry side of the park other than Ride of Steel.

Edited by DarienLaker

- There's a big pack of middle-aged woodies like Screamin' Eagle, Georgia Cyclone, Great American Scream Machine, Outlaw, Grizzly, etc. that aren't new, but also aren't really considered classics. A lot of them are photogenic and some are still fun to ride, but I don't think about them much in the lead-up to visiting their parks. In addition, this group has been largely been pushed out of ERT consideration, so I often just get one forgettable ride on them during regular park hours.

- Grizzly at KD first came to mind -- being tucked away in the trees, having a hard-to-find entrance, its visible structure looking a bit like an extension of Hurler, plus the overall Wayne's World area looking like Carowinds - where I don't expect to see it, etc.

- "Oh yeah, that exists" comes to mind whenever I see a Hopkins coaster

- The locations of one- or two-loop model Shwarzkopf coasters aren't etched in my head and are a nice surprise to find.

- I'm not suggesting that the following aren't nice parks or worth visiting, but sometimes I totally forget about the rides of Alabama Splash Adventure, Adventureland, Wild Adventures, Frontier City, & Magic Springs. On paper, the coaster lineups are a real hodge-podge of rare oddities, wonky loopers, kiddie coasters, and woodies few people ever mention, all occasionally mixed in with moderate new additions.

Thunderbolt at Kennywood is under looked by most park-goers. Phantom's Revenge & Jack Rabbit seem to be the big guns at the park. I personally find Thunderbolt leaps and bounds better than Jack Rabbit, but to each their own.

Any wood coaster that isn't top 15 but is "good" usually gets thrown in this distinction. When people actually sit down and do their lists (if they bother), they usually find out that, hey Viper at Great America isn't really a top ten ride after all. So I'm ignoring wood for this. Among steel: Vilda Musen at Grona Lund is *outstanding* and is easily overlooked in favor of the frankly inferior Jetline at the same park due to the vintage and designer name attached. Adventureland's Hurricane with the T-Bars, now in Panama City, FL, is another one. The layout of those rides is tremendous, but was hampered by poor restraint design. Those trains got it right.

Floodgate Falls and Cuda Falls water slides from Darien Lake. Ever since Floodgate Falls closed in 2008 and the water park expansion in 2010 almost everyone has forgotten about the old Barracuda Bay area in Darien Lake's water park and now Cuda Falls is gone, but Floodgate Falls still rots in pieces with mosquitoes making the former end pool for FF their home.

Superman at SFFT.

It was my first ever visit to SFFT earlier this year and I loved the entire place, but Superman came out of left field and surprised the hell out of me! Don't get me wrong, iRat is still the king of the park, but Supes was a 100% solid ride from start to finish and is easily the best B&M sit-down I've been on. Yeah, even better than Hulk, you weirdos. Hulk has a great first half and a snoozefest second half. Supes just keeps asking you "who's your daddy?" the entire time!

Agreed. Best floorless I've been on, period. Last time I was at Fiesta Texas was before the Iron Rattler conversion, and at the time Superman was the best ride in the park.

I got to say prowler at worlds of fun. No one gives it the proper credit it deserves. It is truly one of the best wooden coasters in most of the united states, and is arguably the best GCI. I mean seriously it has 14 moments of actual airtime. Not to mention a relentless pace and astonishing night rides.

Oh one more. Powder Keg at Silver Dollar City!

^ I'll second both of those two. Excellent rides!

To add my own suggestion as well, Whizzer at Six Flags Great America. Not nearly the tallest or fastest, but I thought it was very fun. It really gets close to the trees, which makes it seem much faster than it really is.

Superman at SFFT.

StormRunner at Hershey Park deserves way more recognition than it gets.

Those two are both excellent examples of coasters that I think are Top 20 for me, but I may not even realize they are Top 20 when compiling my list!

For me, personally, I find Wicked Twister at CP to be a ride I never think about much, until after I've ridden it, and rememberd how awesome it is!