TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Credit

Back in August, I met a guy at Lagoon who stopped by solely to grab credits, then move on to Silverwood. He left after riding the best coasters only once, and I was just thinking in my mind... "why?"

Because he has a VERY small penis and needs to overcompensate for that by showing the world he's been on lots of roller coasters.

That’s the vibe I was getting.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what frustrates me about this whole stupid debate. This thing you just "left here." Who really cares if someone counts it as a "credit" or not? Will someone adding ONE MORE stupid number to their overall count impact you in any way at all?

No.

Which is why the only "counting" thing is IMO stupid and pointless.

And yes I know I used to do it, and yes I realize my mistake.

Now granted, IMO there is a difference to those who keep a list to keep track and those who are obsessive about "counting."

Example: If you have ever taken a photo holding up a number with the purpose of bragging about your count on your Facebook page, that IMO is stupid and pointless.

If you are keeping track for your own personal records, and yes, maybe even keeping track of how many you've ridden, but your goal is for recording keeping not for bragging rights, then you have my partial respect.

And for the record, I don't do either anymore. I haven't kept a list or counted since 2012 when I realized that in the grand scheme of things, it really didn't matter. I like visiting theme parks for fun, not for doing math.

^ Sorry Robb, I only meant that as a joke, wasn't meant to be taken seriously. For the record, I do count my credits, but just as a personal hobby and a hobby only, not to brag about it in public places. I've encountered those kinds of people at my home park, and yeah... not a pleasant experience.

Edit: 300th post yahoo

^ Sorry Robb, I only meant that as a joke, wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

No, I get it. But let's be honest, there are quite a few people who DO take that kind of thing seriously. If there wasn't, you wouldn't have been able to make that joke!

I posted this on the IAAPA thread when the debate came up over counting that. This is one of the reasons I've never kept a coaster count. I don't want to debate what counts/doesn't and just have fun. I'd probably pick a new flat to try or a re-ride on a coaster I like over a credit anyday. I always feel that if it's what the manufacturers want to sell it as or the people who paid for the ride want to use to market it as, then just to respect that and disagree among friends or online vs actually at the parks where kids are sxcited for a "coaster" (Personally I wouldn't call disko coasters and this roller-coasters but I'm not going to belittle people who do). Although I think if anyone started really caring enough to debate it for hours instead of just riding the ride and having fun my friend list would quickly get much smaller.

That and the day my son is big enough to ride bigger rides and gets off his first coaster and run off excitedly to tell his school friends, would follow the day I sit him down and tell him that he's old enough to know he can't count that dragon coaster as his first anymore because it didn't coast enough or had too many tyres on the track (I've heard people debate Lotte World's Comet Express once when I was in line by some visiting enthusiasts) is the day I should stop with this hobby... Yea, I'm going to let him ride a skyloop or RC Racer and just have fun

When I'm bored I'll add some new coasters into Coaster Grotto (which apparently nobody else uses) and just go with whatever they say as my "count". I count, but I don't do things like ride pathetic kiddy coasters or ride a mirror image double track coaster twice to make sure I get "both credits".

I'm not above "whoring" adult coasters occasionally. We totally went to Keansburg to ride that stupid Looping Star one day since we were in the area and I was hoping they had a functional Chaos and I'm eyeing that wild mouse at Funplex since we drive within 1/4 mile of it all the time and never knew it was there but I'll never go out of my way too much to ride one and there's no way in hell I'll ever stop at a park with nothing but a kiddy coaster just to get a credit.

I can't act too cool after paying $15 each for Brit and I to ride Manhattan Express a few weeks ago, but I'm a "quality over quantity" person and only whore coasters if they're adult coasters that are nearby and require a very minimal time investment. I guess to sum things up, we usually go to Florida about 3 times a year and we always hit some parks when we're there but it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever pass on a return visit to Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Universal or Disney to whore Legoland for $80 per person (as nice of a park as I'm sure it is). That said, if Old Town put in some sh*tty Pinfari and we were driving by it anyway, I'd probably pop in for ten minutes and ride it.

^ Honestly Legoland is a nice park. Not as nice as all those other parks, but I enjoyed my visit. If you came with the sole intentions of riding the coasters, you'd probably have a cruddy day as they're not the star of the park. The best part is all the Lego exhibits and the dark rides. Honestly I didn't even ride the junior SLC because other non-coaster things took precident.

I keep my personal list just for my own enjoyment. I'm an engineer so I'm into numbers. It's not to brag that I've been on more wacky worms than X or anything like that.

I'll ride any coaster I am allowed on at a park if time allows. If I'm in a crunch, I won't pass up an amazing flat or unique ride over an off-the-shelf and mediocre clone. But riding all the coasters does sometimes lead to pleasant surprises. For example, the kiddie coaster at Knoebels is actually really good.

I honestly have no doubt that Legoland is nice and if I went I would totally check out the gardens, the cool Lego stuff and the cool dark ride so it wouldn't just be a coaster trip but there's no f*cking chance I'll ever go there when I could spend 20 more bucks and go to Disney or Universal or go to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens for free with our season passes.

I'll probably check out Legoland New York though since it's 20 minutes from the house.

And for the record, I don't do either anymore. I haven't kept a list or counted since 2012 when I realized that in the grand scheme of things, it really didn't matter. I like visiting theme parks for fun, not for doing math.

Did Elissa also stop counting? I remember talking to her about counting a little bit on the trip in 2012.

Did Elissa also stop counting? I remember talking to her about counting a little bit on the trip in 2012.

Yes. 2012 was the year we did that big China trip and we had all those horrible credit whores on that trip that kept insisting that we add crappy little parks to ride garbage credits, which we succumbed to (and yet more reasons why we don't do public tours anymore, but that's a whole other thread...)

We probably rode at least 25 garbage kiddie coasters on that trip, maybe more, just so that people could pad their count. We got back from that trip and when we sat down to add them to a list, first of all, we couldn't even remember half of them because they all sucked, and we realized at that point how dumb it was that people would go out of their way to ride total crap just prove to the world that they had a higher coaster count.

Unless you're talking to another sad and pathetic coaster nerd who also meticulously counts coasters like Rain Man, just saying "I went to China to ride roller coasters" is usually enough to impress the masses if that's the kind of thing you are into.

Edited by robbalvey

Yes. 2012 was the year we did that big China trip and we had all those horrible credit whores on that trip that kept insisting that we add crappy little parks to ride garbage credits, which we succumbed to (and yet more reasons why we don't do public tours anymore, but that's a whole other thread...)

We probably rode at least 25 garbage kiddie coasters on that trip, maybe more, just so that people could pad their count. We got back from that trip and when we sat down to add them to a list, first of all, we couldn't even remember half of them because they all sucked, and we realized at that point how dumb it was that people would go out of their way to ride total crap just prove to the world that they had a higher coaster count.

Unless you're talking to another sad and pathetic coaster nerd who also meticulously counts coasters like Rain Man, just saying "I went to China to ride roller coasters" is usually enough to impress the masses if that's the kind of thing you are into.

I feel you, just being in China is stressful enough. I couldn't imagine figuring out all the logistics to go out of the way to multiple lame, boring China credits. I'm sure I would resent this hobby if I were in your position there. I'm down for the Mega-Lites, but why waste your time with monotonous stuff you'll surely forget?

I'm sure I would resent this hobby if I were in your position there.

Why do you think I've become so bitter about it?

I'm down for the Mega-Lites, but why waste your time with monotonous stuff you'll surely forget?

But seriously, THIS! Our more recent and upcoming China trips focus on the major parks: Happy Valley, Disney, Fantawild, Chimelong, etc. No more of this credit whoring crap.

QUALITY > QUANTITY!

I am not as much of a credit whore as I once was. I no longer go out of my way to ride kiddie coasters for credits, for example.

Lately I was trying to come up with a complex flowchart of how I would count coasters as a credit. However I just say that if it feels like a coaster, it's a coaster. To me, water coasters are coasters. Alpine coasters are coasters. Powered coasters are not coasters. Superman at Magic Mountain is a coaster, but Intamin first gen freefalls are not. I was going to come up with some complex answer about how a water coaster needs to have at least two uphill sections with no water in between or how having a launch and an uphill section qualifies. But that is really just for fun. I count some coasters people do not, and I do not count some coasters people do. However anyone else wants to do their count, I do not care. I know what feels like a coaster and does not feel like a coaster to me.

Lately I was trying to come up with a complex flowchart of how I would count coasters as a credit. However I just say that if it feels like a coaster, it's a coaster. To me, water coasters are coasters. Alpine coasters are coasters. Powered coasters are not coasters. Superman at Magic Mountain is a coaster, but Intamin first gen freefalls are not. I was going to come up with some complex answer about how a water coaster needs to have at least two uphill sections with no water in between or how having a launch and an uphill section qualifies. But that is really just for fun. I count some coasters people do not, and I do not count some coasters people do. However anyone else wants to do their count, I do not care. I know what feels like a coaster and does not feel like a coaster to me.

This right here is pretty much why I've never bothered with a count. Because this seems over the top but I guarantee someone with a similar overly complicated set of rules would want to debate for hours on the subject, if I said so much as a number of coasters ridden. I go to the park, choose what I want to ride, decide if I enjoyed that enough to re-ride/go back later or not, rinse and repeat.

Simple questions to figure out if I will ride something:

- Will I have fun riding? (must be "Yes")

- Will I look like a pedophile if I ride? (must be "No!")

If either question isn't answered correctly, I pass.

My Answers

- I won't know if I don't ride it

- Why do I care what strangers that will probably never affect my future think about me?

Simple questions to figure out if I will ride something:

- Will I have fun riding? (must be "Yes")

- Will I look like a pedophile if I ride? (must be "No!")

If either question isn't answered correctly, I pass.

My Answers

- I won't know if I don't ride it

- Why do I care what strangers that will probably never affect my future think about me?

just saying "I went to China to ride roller coasters" is usually enough to impress the masses if that's the kind of thing you are into.

THIS! Saying "I went to the Middle East to ride roller coasters" has raised quite a few eyebrows. It's usually followed by "Why?!" that's easily answered with, "World's fastest roller coaster!"

Sometimes I'll also get "How many coasters you up to now?" and I'll just answer "I have no idea and I don't really care. All I know is I rode the world's fastest coaster a few days before I went up in the world's tallest building. Can't beat a trip like that!"

Quality > Quantity

All I know is I rode the world's fastest coaster a few days before I went up in the world's tallest building. Can't beat a trip like that!"

Quality > Quantity

That's not really quality either. "World's fastest" or "tallest" is the stuff plebs care about so they can brag about it, but it says nothing about the quality of those rides.

That's not really quality either. "World's fastest" or "tallest" is the stuff plebs care about so they can brag about it, but it says nothing about the quality of those rides.

It's much higher quality compared to stuffing a trip full of 50 wacky worms and kiddie coasters, as was previously discussed in this thread...

Question:

Let's say you visit a NEW park, and they - for example - have a Vekoma Boomerang. Your home park also has a Boomerang. So as a result, you decide to skip it at this new park, since you've already been on that same model several times before elsewhere.

Would anyone count this as a "clone" credit?

I really don't care, I'm just curious...

All I know is I rode the world's fastest coaster a few days before I went up in the world's tallest building. Can't beat a trip like that!"

Quality > Quantity

Sorry, but you make absolutely zero sense. You're basically saying that going on Formula Rossa is the same as riding a Wacky Worm which is going to be the dumbest thing I'm going to read today.

The only scenario in which your statement could be true is if you went on the world's tallest Wacky Worm or something stupid like that, and in that case, it would still be considered "quality" because it's so stupid that it's worth riding just to laugh at it.

Edited by robbalvey