TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Credit

^^Whatever you do, though, do not skip Kozmo's Kurves if/when you ever go to Knoebels. That tiny monster seriously holds its own against full size rides, and I legitimately put it on par with something like Ride of Steel. And better yet, adults can ride alone.

I do keep track of all the coasters I've been on. Also, I count Disk'O's, powered coasters, Larson ring of fire/super loops, dark rides with gravity drops, and Intamin 1st Gen Free Falls as credits, but that's because there's no standardized definition of a coaster, so those fit my personal definition of a coaster. But that's really only because I like numbers, and I primarily ride the above because they are fun. If I'm going to a park for the first time and they have kiddie coasters that don't have height restrictions, I will go on it once because I might as well, and I do legitimately have fun because many kiddie coaster actually have pretty good laterals. (I probably won't on re-visits though.) But if there's a height max, it's not even close to worth my time to bribe a random kid.

Now, when it comes to planning trips, I might occasionally add in a small park or FEC that has a smallish coaster I haven't been on, but my primary reason for that is because that small park would break up the otherwise grueling drive between two parks of greater interest, and I treat it as a much better alternative to a traditional rest stop. For example, when I eventually will do a Rocky Mountain/Pacific Northwest trip, I'll stop at Calaway Park (all they have is an Arrow Corkscrew) between Vancouver Playland and Galaxyland because it would break up the otherwise ridiculous 12.5 hour drive.

So, although I certainly do some things that some might consider me a CreHo, but I don't really consider myself one because that's usually at the bottom of my priority list on a trip, and I really do ride for fun.

Edited by Tanks4me05

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep track of which coasters I've been on, and maintain a "count" of the total. But this is more just for my own interest than anything else. Parks are more than just rollercoasters, I mean if you only focused on the credits DisneySea and Epcot would not look appealing at all, and they are both fantastic!

Last year there was an optional add-on to the Scandi trip to a park called Sommerland Sjelland. Some people dismissed it offhand since there were only two credits - a wacky worm and a Pinfari looper. Suffice to say they missed out! This place was brilliant - basically a giant playground including a self-operated Jungle Cruise-type raft ride, some giant ziplines, go karts, a field of trampolines, and we even saw a guy shot out of a cannon! So the credit snobs missed out while the rest of us had fun. And got two credits.

But there is one thing I always make sure that having fun is more important then the number of credits so far.

I felt like I "grew" as an enthusiast last year when I'd rather ride Bizarro one more time than get SFNE's kiddie coaster credit.

yes, you can go to Orlando, New York, or Nashville to have dinner with your friends, but it also is the culture. I am planning a trip next year to a country that has 3-4 nice parks, the rest is crap. However it is a beautiful country and i am excited to see some of the culture with friends while riding 1 or 10 Wacky Worms!

And that's the difference between you and I. We'll also go to countries with 3 or 4 nice parks, and a bunch of crap, but we'll skip the crap. But I get it. It's what you find fun and what I find funny!

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!

"It's ok not to ride every coaster..."

Edited by robbalvey

I felt like I "grew" as an enthusiast last year when I'd rather ride Bizarro one more time than get SFNE's kiddie coaster credit.

I had this revelation the last time we were in China. We were at Dinosaurs park and there was the 429th Golden Horse spinning mouse we encountered. It had a 30 minute line. I chose to go get off-ride footage of Dinoconda over getting another meaningless, pointless, crappy mouse credit.

It was on that trip filled with powered dragon wagons, kiddie coasters, and just total Chinese crap that I finally said to myself "why the hell am I bothering with pureshit rides?" And from that point on, with only a few exceptions based on tours we did to help out the credit whores in the group who would come up to us and say 'hey, there is a kiddie coaster X miles away...why aren't we hitting it?', we've stuck to quality over quantity. And even more so now that we are only doing private invite-only trips.

Edited by robbalvey

I am definitely on the more "Credit Whore" side of what Robb is talking about

You?!?! NEVER!

Ive ridden one or 2 Wacky Worms....

yes, you can go to Orlando, New York, or Nashville to have dinner with your friends, but it also is the culture. I am planning a trip next year to a country that has 3-4 nice parks, the rest is crap. However it is a beautiful country and i am excited to see some of the culture with friends while riding 1 or 10 Wacky Worms!

Celebrate pathetic. You do you kid.

Before this thread I had a slight sense of shame that I skipped kiddie coasters, really the amount of people on this site that ride it for the credits here is in my eyes huge. I'm relieved to hear I'm completely sane as to skip them as a grown up coaster enthusiast makes me happy.

Shame? Oh dear! Definitely don't feel that way! Heck, back in my early enthusiast years, I felt a little shame riding the kiddie coasters, not the other way around! There's certainly no shame in skipping them as an adult! I definitely don't ride them any more, unless I'm riding them with my kids. So no, please don't feel bad about passing them up.

I went to Carowinds earlier this year for the first time, and passed up a few "new credit" coasters that were essentially the same kind of coaster that I had already ridden before. Carowinds has 13 coasters... I rode 7 of them (and 3 of those I wish I hadn't bothered with.) What did I do with that extra time? Got a few more rides in on Fury, my new #1 coaster! I definitely don't regret that decision, even though I didn't pad my "count"!

Out of about 4 visits to Hershey, I have never been on Comet. Twice it was down for the entire visit, and the rest of my visits, the line was too long to bear. Would I have liked to go on it; sure. Was it worth it considering in the same wait time, I could get on Skyrush and Storm Runner a handful of times? Heck no.

I used to worry about hitting all of the coasters at a park once before I left, but I found out that it wasn't worth it because I wasted my money not to have fun. So what if I rode one more coaster in Comet? I would have wasted 1 1/2+ hours to get on one coaster when I could've done Skyrush 5 times by then. That is the better option to me. Do the stuff you want to do, don't waste time on the little things.

I total agree with quality over quantity. The only time I will ride a kiddie coaster is if it's at a park I'm already at, and the line is short. And at my local fair I've never ridden the two kiddie credits they have each year because I would feel embarrassed getting spotted by people I know and I don't want to spend the money on a crappy ride.

I pick trips based on the destination on the whole, not on how many credits it has. The number #1 reason I went to Japan this year was for Tokyo Disney Sea, which only has two credits. I picked Japan for the overall experience: quality parks, great food, amazing culture, technology, beautiful country to see, and lots of fun. On my free days in Japan I could have credit whored and added to my count (which is under 200), but I chose to sightsee instead and add some variety to my trip. The day that getting credits becomes a chore is the day this hobby isn't fun anymore and I don't want that to happen to me.

By the way, I would definitely visit Brasil (especially Rio - which was amazing), but not for coasters lol.

I total agree with quality over quantity. The only time I will ride a kiddie coaster is if it's at a park I'm already at, and the line is short. And at my local fair I've never ridden the two kiddie credits they have each year because I would feel embarrassed getting spotted by people I know and I don't want to spend the money on a crappy ride.

I pick trips based on the destination on the whole, not on how many credits it has. The number #1 reason I went to Japan this year was for Tokyo Disney Sea, which only has two credits. I picked Japan for the overall experience: quality parks, great food, amazing culture, technology, beautiful country to see, and lots of fun. On my free days in Japan I could have credit whored and added to my count (which is under 200), but I chose to sightsee instead and add some variety to my trip. The day that getting credits becomes a chore is the day this hobby isn't fun anymore and I don't want that to happen to me.

By the way, I would definitely visit Brasil (especially Rio - which was amazing), but not for coasters lol.

Even at Thorpe park there is never a queue for Flying Fish - my homepark and I have still not ridden it, same with one of the coasters at Chessington and Adventure Island!

^^Whatever you do, though, do not skip Kozmo's Kurves if/when you ever go to Knoebels. That tiny monster seriously holds its own against full size rides, and I legitimately put it on par with something like Ride of Steel. And better yet, adults can ride alone.

Will keep it in mind, however I will moste likely skip it because it's a kiddie coaster. I can be stubborn when it comes to that.

I love how different we all see credits yet we find common ground in just loving the rides lol

It's also relieving everybody accepts your version of a credit. "If you want to count the truck ride at your local Fair? Yeah sure count it, what ever you enjoy." It's much more satisfying then hearing: "hehe that one over there counts the truck ride as a coaster credit, loser." It makes me happy to be part of such a community.

Shame? Oh dear! Definitely don't feel that way! Heck, back in my early enthusiast years, I felt a little shame riding the kiddie coasters, not the other way around! There's certainly no shame in skipping them as an adult! I definitely don't ride them any more, unless I'm riding them with my kids. So no, please don't feel bad about passing them up.

I know I did right skipping them, but before I always saw so many post of people saying: "This kidde coaster is awesome." Or: "Check this Wacky Worm it's my 400th credit." I started to wonder: "Am I doing it wrong? Should I ride them to be a more real enthusiast?" I know it sounds silly but I got to that point (and thus became slightly ashamed for skipping them), but I thought by myself that I shouldn't give in and that I'm already a real enough enthusiast even without them. When this thread came I was just happy to know I'm indeed no less for skipping them, Because now I'm sure that being a enthusiast isn't about the number or rides you ridden or the amount of knowledge you have, no it's about how much fun you can have in an amusement park you like.

Don't let a that number or rides you've ridden take over your life, try to have some fun, otherwise whats the point?

Same. We will absolutely get to Brazil and visit the couple of parks that look interesting to us, but we just couldn't stomach the idea of going around Brazil and riding a bunch of Wacky Worms, kiddie coasters, and crappy rides. And doing an entire trip surrounded by people who thought that would be a cool thing to do is also something we could no longer tolerate which is why our trips are very different now. One day we'll get out to Hopi Hari or do that park with the messed up looking shuttle coaster, but it's not high on our priority list, and if ends up closing before we get there... Oh, well, I'm sure we'll find other places to visit, too!

I count credits mainly for fun. I have fun in counting credits and credit whoring, so I do it as like everyone else has said, this is all about having fun. My count is fairly high, but there is still a lot of cool stuff for me to ride before I hit that credit wall and have to resort to traveling to 3rd world countries to ride Wacky Worms. How much I whore fluctuates. Sometimes, I'm in a whorish mood and will wait out the kiddy coaster and be sad and pathetic. Other times, I'd rather do something else. Either way, I had fun and don't regret either decision. As long as I'm having a good time, I will credit whore and when I'm not having fun doing it anymore, I'll stop.

I'll get the kiddie coaster credits in while I have small kids. I can't picture myself riding one of them by myself without my son or daughter with me. That being said, I'm not sure how much longer the son is going to enjoy Wacky Worms etc, not after hitting actual adult-size coasters!

I'll get the kiddie coaster credits in while I have small kids. I can't picture myself riding one of them by myself without my son or daughter with me. That being said, I'm not sure how much longer the son is going to enjoy Wacky Worms etc, not after hitting actual adult-size coasters!

What's sort of funny about that is people on our tours used to look forward to Kristen being there too since they would use her to ride the kiddie coasters that you needed a kid. Now that she's older and can ride most big rides, she has zero interest in riding the kiddie coasters let alone multiple times with random people, even if they bought her a plush animal!

I sort of like that kid!

Edited by robbalvey

The only healthy way to "count" is just to record things you do so that you can recall what you've done. I can't remember every single ride I've ever been on in my life, and unless I wrote about 'em, I'm generally guessing if I had been on something 15-20 years ago or not. Unless you're Rainman, I don't believe anyone can instantly go back and say any of that stuff with confidence. But to go ride garbage just to write it on a list and brag to people?

Though i am not even to 100 yet I made an excel sheet to keep track. It is mostly for keeping track of where I have been and what i have done. I wouldn't consider myself a credit whore though as i decided to ride I305 on my only visit 6 times vs finishing up all of the coasters. I left Kings Dominion without about half of the credits.

The only healthy way to "count" is just to record things you do so that you can recall what you've done. I can't remember every single ride I've ever been on in my life, and unless I wrote about 'em, I'm generally guessing if I had been on something 15-20 years ago or not. Unless you're Rainman, I don't believe anyone can instantly go back and say any of that stuff with confidence. But to go ride garbage just to write it on a list and brag to people?

I'm even past that point of caring. Like I can easily remember the "big stuff" I rode, like I'm obviously going to remember I rode stuff like Talon, Kraken, Superman, Mamba, Mr. Freeze, Wodan, Nemesis Inferno, Fujiyama, whatever....

But sometimes Elissa will be "did we ride this on our last visit?" And if I have to say "you know, I don't even remember..." that means it's not even worthy enough for me to put it on paper! lol

And then the other nice thing about not keeping a count is that if I accidentally ride it again on a future trip, it doesn't matter!

Edited by robbalvey

Going off what I was saying above, at one point, we were considering a Brazil trip. We looked at all the parks we could possibly hit and this is what we came up with...

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 17.50.54.png[/attachment]

Other than one or two somewhat interesting parks, it was pretty much all crap. And that doesn't even include about another 20-30 small indoor kiddie coasters at family pizza places that we instantly excluded. That trip would have been anywhere between 35-50 "credits" maybe even more if we opted to do some of those kiddie coasters. This was the point a few years ago in which we said "Why would we go out of our way and spend a lot of money to ride total crap when we could go back to really nice parks and re-ride some of the best coasters in the world?"

And that's pretty much what we've done ever since!

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

As a Brazilian, this list makes me really sad... That's why I stopped spending my money here and started traveling the world in 2012 to ride REAL coasters! In fact, one park of this list is closed (Tivoli Park) and another one hasn't even open yet (Aventura Selvagem). We're losing parks and rides instead of getting new ones. It would be great to have you guys here to know our country, culture etc. But our coasters, meh... what a shame Brazil!

Well, I've just read this entire thread and I must say that I agree with everything Robb said... I realized that a couple of years ago when I was in Germany and decided to ride some kiddie coasters, while having Colossos, Krake etc with a 0min-wait by my side. Anyway, I did that again last year in Florida, and I was planning to do that next month in California (including at WCB). Now I see that I was "enjoying" theme parks only AFTER riding all of their coasters, instead of having fun from the beginning until the end. I was desperately planning what to do to ride all the coasters (including the kiddie ones) that SFMM and KBF have to offer between the two ERT sessions, instead of enjoying everything and hanging out with all the TPR members. See? It was something more stressful than enjoyable.

I have a photo album on my Fb page showing all the coasters I've ridden so far, and it gives me nothing but "wow comments" and "Nina Kleppe's likes". I'm not saying that I'm gonna stop counting coasters... I like having this data base, but now only for personal use, not to show off or to have an extra BJ.

Thanks for clearing up my mind.

• 2 years later...

I do count. But I do not ride kiddie coasters, or Boomerangs. I have ridden exactly two Boomerangs but have encountered several! For instance, when I went to SFFT I rode Road Runner several times, and the Boomerang zero.

Looks like we're bumping a thread.

I have ridden few enough coasters where I can keep a count, but I'm sure once I get above 500 or so, I'll just lose track. It's not worth it at that point. I also never go out of my way to ride kiddie coasters for the sole purpose of adding to my count.

Back in August, I met a guy at Lagoon who stopped by solely to grab credits, then move on to Silverwood. Lagoon is a great park that has so much more than its coaster count (especially its awesome flat collection). He left after riding the best coasters only once, and I was just thinking in my mind... "why?" To each his own, but for me, quality over quantity for sure.

As for what constitutes a credit, I just go off of RCDB. That's easiest for me.

As for what constitutes a credit, I just go off of RCDB. That's easiest for me.

Same. Although, I count Mountain Coasters. I don't know if those are counted on RCDB or not, as I've never checked.

Duane decided to add them all fairly recently, like definitely last 6 months.

Back in August, I met a guy at Lagoon who stopped by solely to grab credits, then move on to Silverwood. He left after riding the best coasters only once, and I was just thinking in my mind... "why?"

Because he has a VERY small penis and needs to overcompensate for that by showing the world he's been on lots of roller coasters.