TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Playland's Castaway Cove Discussion Thread

Seriously, I think Whirlwind is going to surprise a lot of people. Just watch Robb's video from IAAPA when this model premiered -

Tiny ride but spins like crazy!

^Depends in the program (at least I think they can be programmed to run different cycles) and how the cars are loaded. I rode this model at 4 or 5 parks last summer and every time I was in an unbalanced car. At each park I got somewhere between 8-10 cycles and on all but one ride was the spinning was constant after the 2nd or 3rd lap. They are fun little coasters.

• 4 weeks later...
^^I've been on the one at Trimper's Rides & Amusements, and it's surprisingly fun! It's like an extended Tilt-A-Whirl in roller coaster form.

A new credit at Trimpers? I didn't know about this, I need to get back there and ride it (I'll take any excuse to go to Trimpers because of the Zipper lol).

Any updates on this? Thread has been silent for almost a month and I know they were aiming for Memorial Day for the grand opening.

With so many rides opening I had completely forgotten about this one. I'm very curious to see it in action, and also to hear some reviews when it opens. With it's small footprint I can imagine this model being attractive to other small parks.

Any updates on this? Thread has been silent for almost a month and I know they were aiming for Memorial Day for the grand opening.

Actually they more recently said the three coasters will be ready by mid-June (posted that a while back). I've still been keeping an eye on the webcam and there is lots of action on the ground - lots of men running around so maybe they are getting ready for testing? Messing with electrical work? Setting up queues? The Miler is still not done, so they are likely waiting until that is done so they can test clearance envelopes and prob do a pull through before testing Gale. It doesn't look the train has moved on Gale in quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I've let this thread become a little quiet so the park can do their thing but I've been checking their website and FB page frequently for any info on Gale Forces opening. No I haven't been calling/emailing the park about it, as I know it'll open when its ready.

That said, I finally found something worth bumping this thread for, screenshotted from their FB page.

playland.jpg.b0089f805d5f0f064470f2302100d531.jpg

edit: Also, looks like the Whirlwind kiddie coaster is operating, credit whores.

playland2.jpg.ee85a9d173fa5e40db9b29fe36a7d46e.jpg

IT'S GLORIOUS.

And rather squeaky. edit: Seriously that snap into the top hat and then the beyond vertical drop is just gonna be nutso.

Edited by boldikus

Last night I had a dream where Gale Force had a soft opening, but the trains weren't completely finished, so instead of using restraints they just used duct tape to stick you to the seat, and the coaster was a lot smaller in my dream, probably only about 70 feet tall.

You need to lay off all the candy before bed. That stuff's not good for you.

^^ Thanks for that, looks great! Much better footage than what the park posted.

I don't know if its just me and I'm sure the neighbors freaking hate it but I kinda love that screeching noise and wish it would stay LOL.

Holy hell, I'm actually kind of scared of that thing, it looks very very very punchy over those twists. Could be totally awesome or could be insane-premier spaghetti bowl OTSRs-vekoma hang and bang-levels of rough.

The restraints are more like vest restraints, and they're almost identical to the ones on the free fly coasters. And those are pretty comfortable restraints in my opinion. So if it is rough, it isn't much of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Whirlwind is operating and while Gale Force is only a week or two from opening (according to recent Facebook posts from the park), the third coaster probably won't open til early August.

For those that can wait until August 10th, the park posted on Facebook that Wednesday, August 10th will have $15 wristbands from 1-5. Probably a good idea since the park has a very good flat ride package including one crazy ride, Tropical Storm