TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Subreddit - Thoughts on this?

Should Theme Park Review have it's own subreddit?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should Theme Park Review have it's own subreddit?

• Yes
    • No

So I've been going back and forth on this for quite some time now. TPR is on just about every popular social media platform where it makes sense for us to be, and Reddit is one of those platforms that keeps coming up...should we or shouldn't we? And especially with Reddit being in the news quite a bit lately, there's been a lot of activity around it.

I find the current theme park/roller coaster subreddit offerings to be filled with fairly obnoxious people and very poorly managed. In short, if we did it, I think we could easily do a much better job!

My only negative thought would be is that would it detract from our current TPR forum and take traffic away from here, or would we actually been increasing our overall exposure being on this forum-like platform?

Your input is greatly appreciate!

Thank you!

--Robb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a tough call honestly. At first I love the idea, as I browse reddit daily. But, I also come to TPR for my coaster/park fix after that. Like you mentioned, I would be worried that it would take too much conversation away from the boards. And moderation there would be a full time job. There is some insane redditors on there that enjoy trolling the crap out of subreddits. The Disney related subreddits are pretty tame however, and moderated pretty well. I just know those few loonies who have an issue with Robb will be trolling constantly, and not actually contributing anything useful.

But it could also open some doors for people who are not familiar with TPR, bring some from reddit over to here. Thankfully the good and knowledgeable redditors far out weight the useless ones.

I'm really not a big fan of Reddit, mainly because there are tons of awful people. I don't think it is neccessary to have one because you already have this incredible forum.

With that said, if you made one, I would sign up and support it.

Maybe you could make one and do a public service by banning all the obnoxious people!

I guess I'm sorta indifferent.

I just know those few loonies who have an issue with Robb will be trolling constantly, and not actually contributing anything useful.

Most of the ones who have made themselves known on Reddit would already be pre-banned before the sub ever opened. So we have that going for us. And I think we would cater to a more "casual" theme park fan than the die-hards on the subreddits that already exist.

I just know those few loonies who have an issue with Robb will be trolling constantly, and not actually contributing anything useful.

Most of the ones who have made themselves known on Reddit would already be pre-banned before the sub ever opened. So we have that going for us. And I think we would cater to a more "casual" theme park fan than the die-hards on the subreddits that already exist.

This just made the idea way more appealing.

I personally am not too familiar with Reddit, but recently I have been reading some of the subreddits on there, and I feel like it could bring more people here. Of course, you will get stuck with dealing with the trolls and crazies, but it could be another great way to kind of advertise the site.

I found the I am a topics very interesting. For those not familiar, it's basically a person who starts a topic by saying I am a... For instance there was one with a former Top Thrill Dragster operator who held sort of like a Q&A and answered any questions people had about the ride, park, etc.

I voted no. I think it would take away traffic from the forum and would only increase exposure to people you wouldn't really want on the forum (obnoxious, non-enthusiasts, etc).

I also think most of the people that would subscribe on there already follow TPR on instagram, twitter, facebook, and/or youtube, and many would already be members to this site.

I also think most of the people that would subscribe on there already follow TPR on instagram, twitter, facebook, and/or youtube, and many would already be members to this site.

This is why I ask the questions above. It's no secret that forums are a dying platform and we are fortunate to have the most popular one in the subject matter. It's pretty obvious to me that the majority of people who follow our socials on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter basically don't know the forum exists, and it's a pretty hard sell to someone now to register for a forum. But I wonder if Reddit is more commonplace between those socials.

This will obviously take some research as if we did something on Reddit, I'd want it to be better than anything that is currently available. But like I said, the current subreddits on the subject matter are pretty awful, so it wouldn't take much to be better.

There are theme park & roller coaster related subreddits already available. They don't get much discussion honestly. This IS the best place to discuss those topics. There's no sense in splitting your audience across 2 different sites

There are theme park & roller coaster related subreddits already available. They don't get much discussion honestly. This IS the best place to discuss those topics. There's no sense in splitting your audience across 2 different sites
I voted no, let's try to keep the TPR forums alive!

This is all very good feedback. What was unexpected from the feedback is that it seems like our forum members are worried that creating a subreddit would kill the TPR forum, which is amazing to see your support.

My reasoning for doing it is I wonder if we would be instead of splitting your audience, but to capture two very different audiences. I'm not convinced that anyone who is on the TPR forum might actually be an active TPR redditor and vice versa.

But that being said, this feedback is really making me look at things a bit differently, so thank you for that!

Let me put this into another perspective....

There are literally millions of people that visit theme parks every single day. (especially during summer months.)

A very, very, VERY small fraction of them are here on our forum. A larger fraction, but still very small, frequent our social media channels. I'm wondering if Reddit is another way to capture another small audience, different from the forum or our socials, to extend our reach.

Again, I'm not personally 100% sold on this idea. The attitude & vibe I've seen on Reddit, to be honest, is not good. A very trollish and obnoxious mean-spirited environment, but that's really only based on a handful of subreddits that I've encountered with very poor moderating teams that have zero control of their subreddits. I've had very conflicting thoughts in the past on getting involved with Reddit, but maybe it's time to give it a chance?

That being said, if we had a decent base of good people following a TPR subreddit, no haters, no terrible obnoxious people, could we make it a fun, positive place for people to be?

That would be our goal. Not sure if that's a realistic one for Reddit or not though.

Edited by robbalvey

That's a tough call being that I am a 100% devotee to the TPR forums and hardly frequent social media at all (no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc). Call me a fossil, but I simply don't have the time to devote to such things. I work through computers and phones all day, so TPR is about the only computer outlet that I have other than E-mail when I am not at work.

I voted no on my behalf, but understand reaching out to a broader audience and wanting to bring decent forum folks to this platform could be a plus for TPR in general. If it's a go, I certainly wish you luck!

That's a tough call being that I am a 100% devotee to the TPR forums and hardly frequent social media at all (no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc). Call me a fossil, but I simply don't have the time to devote to such things.

See, and this is what's interesting. You only really know TPR via the forum then, even though our social pages have taken off leaps and bounds over the forum. We probably have about 100x the interaction on our socials every day compared to the forum, but none of that affects you at all, which is a good thing.

Everyone has their own outlets that tend to read and stick with and every audience is a little different.

Part of me thinks "Hell, maybe we should just go for it!" and see what happens, but as I said before, Reddit is a platform I've had conflicting feelings about for a while. I'm very torn...

My only question is, what would a TPR subreddit offer that the current TPR forum or /r/rollercoasters subreddit wouldn't? Is it just about expanding the reach?

Well, for starters /r/rollercoasters is complete garbage run by completely incompetent assholes and I'm SURE we could do a better job than they do without even trying. We would weed out all the horrible people that want to do nothing but hate on TPR anyway and actually have legit drama-free discussions about theme parks and roller coasters.

And that's really it, too, /r/rollercoasters is only about roller coasters. We would be a much larger blanket segment and cover roller coasters, theme parks, Disney, etc.

As for what would make it different from the TPR forum, it's really just that the TPR forum has it's audience, and I believe Reddit would have a completely different group of people. Quite possibly more people that frequent our social media would be more likely to join into discussion on Reddit than would be likely to join in on the forum.

Edited by robbalvey

I would call myself pretty tech savvy, but I'm not much into the social media stuff either. I prefer the forum based news and discussion, as here I don't have to deal with a lot of the GP's nonsense, and it is an open place to ask questions and give feedback on stuff. I'm very robotic while using the web, besides Screamscape, TPR is one of the only sites that I visit on a daily basis. It's usually opened in a separate tab while I have downtime at work.

Other than the forums, the only other place that I follow TPR is Youtube, but even there I don't have an account or subscribe to channels, so I would be open to another forum-like site like Reddit. I would say that it's at least worth a trial run.

Part of me thinks "Hell, maybe we should just go for it!" and see what happens, but as I said before, Reddit is a platform I've had conflicting feelings about for a while. I'm very torn...

Maybe this is the way to go? Just give it a couple months and see what happens. Maybe?

I am torn, as well, because I've seen some of the terrible people on that site, and I don't want those terrible people to spread to other platforms. But I guess that if that happened you could just remove them from the platforms they decide to join.

I voted no, but if it's free, might as well see what happens, right?

I voted yes. As Robb said before, a small fraction of people who go to themeparks are on forums, but most if not all people use social media. A subreddit would help capture a different and larger audience, and would be a huge success....if done right, which I think is theoretically do-able.