TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Finally did it

A while ago I posted this thread http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70540 because I was nervous about how to get into the coasterverse. Well, I believe I have entered! I went to Knott's and bought a fastpass, so I got to ride all the big coasters. Here's how I found them:

Silver Bullet: This one wowed me. It wasn't so intense that I felt like it pushed me that much, but I have little coaster experience, so it was one of the more intense ones I've been on. Went twice.

Xcelerator: This is definitely the scariest coaster I've been on, and the drop looked frightning, but I did it, and it was so fast I barely felt it. I only rode it once, but it was a great once.

GhostRider: If you read my old thread, you know I love this thing. Riding it in the dark is the best.

Boomerang: I rode this beastie twice. It wasn't as intense as I expected, and I didn't get the headache I hear many Boomerang riders complain of.

Montezooma's revenge: This was my first ever loop, as I rode it first thing in the morning, wanting to start my day off with a less frightening one, and it seemed to be the least intense. I LOVED it. I rode it five times. 11/10 would loop again

Jaguar: Meh. Don't know why I bothered.

So I am planning to go to Six Flags MM this winter. Any coasters you guys would recommend? Any I should avoid based on my reactions? (X2 looks absolutely terrifying...)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am planning to go to Six Flags MM this winter. Any coasters you guys would recommend? Any I should avoid based on my reactions? (X2 looks absolutely terrifying...)

Congrats on your ascension to the ranks of a coaster-lover!

Honestly, based on what you wrote about the other coasters, I would just try to get on as many coasters as possible there at SFMM. X2 is pretty intense, but I suspect that you'll regret passing it up if you do. Maybe do a few of the other coasters first, to build up courage to ride it, and then give it a whirl. Here's a few other thoughts...

Tatsu - I love B&M Flying coasters - or I should say I love THIS B&M Flying Coaster, as well as Manta at Sea World Orlando! If you aren't freaked out by the concept, I'd definitely give this one a try!

Viper, Green Lantern: First Flight - These coasters are pretty rough/jarring. If you're not into coasters that shake you up a bit, I'd skip these. The park's lone wooden coaster, Apocalypse, was awesome when I rode it a couple of years ago, but I've heard it's gotten rough now too. So, you'll have to decide what to do with that information.

Gold Rusher - If you didn't like Jaguar, it's possible this ride will bore you too. Or not. It's just an old Arrow Mine Train coaster, so it's not going to be high on thrills. You can put the four kiddie coasters in this category too.

Riddler's Revenge - Have you been on a Stand-up coaster before? If not, this could be a little freaky for you, as it's definitely a different experience. Many people do not care for stand-up coasters, and I wouldn't make it a priority if you're short on time. But I would still try to ride it if you can, as it's not a bad coaster - probably the best of the stand-ups (that I have ridden.)

Superman: Escape from Krypton - This is a launched coaster, similar to Xcelerator (thoguh I like Xcelerator a lot better.) You'll probably get that same freaked out feeling, but still enjoy it in the end.

Scream, Revolution, Goliath - These should be right in your wheelhouse. Not too wild, not too tame, and relatively smooth.

Batman: The Ride, Ninja - These are both coasters that hang under the track, but they are very different. While Batman is one of the more intense coaster experiences you can get (outside of launched coasters), Ninja is more like a leisurely stroll through the park - or in this case, the trees. I'd ride both, but skip Ninja if you get short on time. If high intensity rides bother you, or if you just ate recently and don't feel like riding something intense, I'd wait on Batman. If you thought Silver Bullet, which is the same type of coaster, was intense, this is much more so! Catch it later if you feel up to it though.

F U L L Throttle (also known as Full Throttle here on TPR), Twisted Cyclone - I haven't ridden either of these new coasters since I was there back in 2012 last. Both look pretty cool to me, though you should be aware that FT is another launched coaster, probably even more similar to Xcelerator than Superman is. So bear that in mind. I'm sure you'll love it. As for Twisted Cyclone, it looks amazing, and I suspect when all is said and done it will end up being your favorite one there! Enjoy it!

I hope this helps, at least somewhat!

just buy your ticket to west coast bash and go for it all!

Seriously! If you're going to be going anyway, and you live in the area, West Coast Bash is a can't-miss steal! All that ERT, and plenty of enthusiasts to help you through everything!

F U L L Throttle (also known as YOLOcoaster here on TPR), Twisted Cyclone - I haven't ridden either of these new coasters since I was there back in 2012 last. Both look pretty cool to me, though you should be aware that FT is another launched coaster, probably even more similar to Xcelerator than Superman is. So bear that in mind. I'm sure you'll love it. As for Twisted Cyclone, it looks amazing, and I suspect when all is said and done it will end up being your favorite one there! Enjoy it!

Full Throttle's launch is pretty weak compared to xcelerator. As for the backwards launch, you barely feel it, so don't worry about that. The Loop and the drop over the loop (top hat) can be quite intimidating, but closing your eyes helps.

Twisted Colossus, even though it's not that fast or high, is quite intense as you are forced at out of your seat a lot. However most coaster enthusiasts who have ridden this claim it's one of (if not the) best ride(s) in the park, so if you think you can handle it make sure you ride it.

hope this helps.

YOLOcoaster's launch is pretty weak compared to xcelerator. As for the backwards launch, you barely feel it, so don't worry about that. The Loop and the drop over the loop (top hat) can be quite intimidating, but closing your eyes helps.

Twisted Colossus, even though it's not that fast or high, is quite intense as you are forced at out of your seat a lot. However most coaster enthusiasts who have ridden this claim it's one of (if not the) best ride(s) in the park, so if you think you can handle it make sure you ride it.

hope this helps.

This does help, thank you. I try not to close my eyes because if I do, I get extremely nauseous. I was a big fan of GhostRider so I think I can handle TC. The two coasters that really scare me are Goliath and X2.

^ X2 is awesome, it looks intimidating but your ride it once and then your great straight back inline to go again. Twisted Colossus is in a different league completely to GhostRider....It's totally twisted and just awesome and 100 times smoother than GhostRider , You will also want to get straight back inline to ride that again too. Tatsu & Superman were another two favourites of mine at the park which I think you would also really enjoy but may be slightly intimidated to ride. Defo buy a West Coaster Bash Ticket and ride everything

Trust me, Goliath is actually pretty boring. The drop isn't that steep, and basically the whole ride is positive g-forces. It's worth a ride but still not really the most interesting thing (I haven't been on it but Titan is basically the same thing)

As for X2, I've only been on Batman @ SFFT but yeah 4D coasters are sorta messed up (in a good way!)

When I first rode X (as it was back then) it was the most incredible thing I had ever done in my life. The moment when you drop on the first hill is one of pure exhilaration and elation that you simply won't experience anywhere else. You may be terrified before you ride, even ascending the first hill, but once the ride starts moving that first drop is just so darn incredibly awesome and fun that you won't even register being afraid.

I've ridden some incredible coasters, but whatever vertical drop, crazy inversion element you come up with, it still won't hold a candle to that moment on X. It's so much more amazing than everything else I've ridden that I'm amazed anyone who has ridden it could rank anything else above it. It really is a 4th dimension that takes you to another plane of coaster riding.

I implore anyone with a chance to ride this to to not miss out on their chance.

X2 was actually my first really crazy coaster (When it was just X). I got dragged onto it but immediately (mid-ride) loved it and since then I have to be dragged off of coasters rather than on them. sirspud described the feeling pretty well. Based on your accounts, you sound to be in a very similar place as I was when I went on it first, so I say jump right in and do it first thing in the morning like I did! Knock that one out and nothing will intimidate you.

Except maybe Green Lantern. That's the only one I would recommend avoiding. It's possible you might love it, but it's possible it might try to injure you and turn you off of coasting. It's a very polarizing coaster. In my experience people come off of that coaster saying one of two things - either "I love it lets get back in line and re-ride" or "I'm never again setting foot on that piece of ****."

What do you think of Tatsu? I remember when I was where you are that in videos and photos it didn't look too bad but when I saw it in person it seemed so much bigger. That lift hill seemed like the worst part. If you find yourself hesitating, rip that one off like a band aid too, you'll love it. A flying coaster is a unique coaster experience, and a very fun one. Some people complain about hanging in the cars on the brakes after the run, but I find the entire thing comfortable than most coasters.

X2 was actually my first really crazy coaster (When it was just X). I got dragged onto it but immediately (mid-ride) loved it and since then I have to be dragged off of coasters rather than on them. sirspud described the feeling pretty well. Based on your accounts, you sound to be in a very similar place as I was when I went on it first, so I say jump right in and do it first thing in the morning like I did! Knock that one out and nothing will intimidate you.

Except maybe Green Lantern. That's the only one I would recommend avoiding. It's possible you might love it, but it's possible it might try to injure you and turn you off of coasting. It's a very polarizing coaster. In my experience people come off of that coaster saying one of two things - either "I love it lets get back in line and re-ride" or "I'm never again setting foot on that piece of ****."

What do you think of Tatsu? I remember when I was where you are that in videos and photos it didn't look too bad but when I saw it in person it seemed so much bigger. That lift hill seemed like the worst part. If you find yourself hesitating, rip that one off like a band aid too, you'll love it. A flying coaster is a unique coaster experience, and a very fun one. Some people complain about hanging in the cars on the brakes after the run, but I find the entire thing comfortable than most coasters.

Tatsu's restraints are surprisingly comfortable. Just remember to breathe during the pretzel loop.

I was looking forward to riding a flying coaster right until the moment when I got on one. It's not that the restraints are uncomfortable, but the experience of riding in that position is far different from what we would imagine. Instead of being able to take in the terrain underneath, it's all a nauseating blur as facing down instead of forward means you are focused on small spots underneath as they whiz by very quickly. The g forces all concentrate right on your head, which is very uncomfortable, and far different from how we imagine flying.

They are a unique experience, and pretzel loops really rock, but I could ride a flying coaster a single time just to experience it and not really want to ride it again.

I was looking forward to riding a flying coaster right until the moment when I got on one. It's not that the restraints are uncomfortable, but the experience of riding in that position is far different from what we would imagine. Instead of being able to take in the terrain underneath, it's all a nauseating blur as facing down instead of forward means you are focused on small spots underneath as they whiz by very quickly. The g forces all concentrate right on your head, which is very uncomfortable, and far different from how we imagine flying.

They are a unique experience, and pretzel loops really rock, but I could ride a flying coaster a single time just to experience it and not really want to ride it again.

Yeah I dont really look straight down either except on the lift hill, but I love to look out in the distance towards the horizon or away from the coaster as it's making turns and doing rolls. (Awesome sunset ride btw)

When I first rode X (as it was back then) it was the most incredible thing I had ever done in my life. The moment when you drop on the first hill is one of pure exhilaration and elation that you simply won't experience anywhere else. You may be terrified before you ride, even ascending the first hill, but once the ride starts moving that first drop is just so darn incredibly awesome and fun that you won't even register being afraid.

I've ridden some incredible coasters, but whatever vertical drop, crazy inversion element you come up with, it still won't hold a candle to that moment on X. It's so much more amazing than everything else I've ridden that I'm amazed anyone who has ridden it could rank anything else above it. It really is a 4th dimension that takes you to another plane of coaster riding.

X2 is indeed an experience not to miss. My favorite part was the twist in the middle of the ride. It just felt like you could take off and soar through the sky. It's roughness however keeps me from having re-rides, that and its massive line. Which is btw always a lot shorter around 4 pm.

X2 is indeed an experience not to miss. My favorite part was the twist in the middle of the ride. It just felt like you could take off and soar through the sky. It's roughness however keeps me from having re-rides, that and its massive line. Which is btw always a lot shorter around 4 pm.

I was most excited for Tatsu, but it seems like I need to change my priorities!