TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Elissa's first visit to Lagoon!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Cannibal coming to the forefront of coaster-consciousness, it has really shed light on this entire park for me! It looks like a FANTASTIC little family-run park, and I really, really want to make it out someday! Unfortunately, it's very remote, and nowhere near any place I see myself being in the next couple of years... Still, if flights into Salt Lake City get real cheap at some point...

With Cannibal coming to the forefront of coaster-consciousness, it has really shed light on this entire park for me! It looks like a FANTASTIC little family-run park, and I really, really want to make it out someday! Unfortunately, it's very remote, and nowhere near any place I see myself being in the next couple of years... Still, if flights into Salt Lake City get real cheap at some point...

I recommend including it in a multiple destination road trip. Fly out the SW. Pick 3-4 stops over a week and include Lagoon. End up on the California beach! There are too many things to see and experience in the desert just to fly out for one amusement park, IMO.

What I don't like about Wicked is the constant stopping of it to go retrieve guest items that have fallen off. Lagoon really needs to be better about stopping this kind of behavior. Last few times I've been there, about 5 trains run and then they stop to go get something. They did the same thing on Roller Coaster a few times. They have free lockers for a reason people. Also, I wish the ride ops were better at advertising Wicked's single rider line. I think the wait times would be better.

I like Rapids/flume rides and while I do like Lagoon's I don't think it is worth the usually incredibly long line to get there and the log flume is kind of meh (it's also super old so it's forgivable.) I do wish the "Rattlesnakes Rapids" area was a little bit larger in general though, It has some cool theming but it is hard to admire because the line is always way outside the entrance to the area.

My favorite coaster at Lagoon (without having experienced Cannibal) is The Spider.

Also, if you are flying into SLC just to go to Lagoon, you can take the light rail from the airport to Lagoon with 1 transfer over to "Frontrunner." SLC (and Wasatch Front in general) has a really nice public transportation system.

What I don't like about Wicked is the constant stopping of it to go retrieve guest items that have fallen off. Lagoon really needs to be better about stopping this kind of behavior. Last few times I've been there, about 5 trains run and then they stop to go get something. They did the same thing on Roller Coaster a few times. They have free fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for a reason people. Also, I wish the ride ops were better at advertising Wicked's single rider line. I think the wait times would be better.

Sounds like you probably had some bad luck with Wicked. I think it has only stopped once while I've been in line this year to retrieve something. It seems to happen at least half the time when I'm in line for Roller Coaster though. Also, Wicked's single rider line always has at least a few people in it and I almost never see an empty seat anywhere. The ride ops are very good at filling empty seats with the single rider line.

Thanks for the photos! Lagoon really is a great little park.

I managed to visit this summer (late June) and I really had a good time. I was a bit bummed to miss Cannibal's opening by a week, but Wicked, Colossus, and Samurai made up for it. It is definitely an overlooked park and I recommend it to anyone willing to take a trip up there. And with Cannibal open now, I'm sure it's even better!

I recommend including it in a multiple destination road trip. Fly out the SW. Pick 3-4 stops over a week and include Lagoon. End up on the California beach! There are too many things to see and experience in the desert just to fly out for one amusement park, IMO.

Sounds good! I have family in Ft. Collins, so I could fly out to visit them, drive to Lagoon afterward, then drive to Vegas, before ending up in LA, where I can visit my brother before flying back. Definitely has potential!

Reminds me of Sky Rocket a little bit...and I loved that little coaster!

Kennywood came to Lagoon and took a gander at Wicked in 2007 that Dal Freeman Designed, so that would be why Kennywood's Sky Rocket ended up with similar characteristics. Premier also may have gotten the job due to the problems with the Track and Column Fabrication by Stakotra S.r.o. This is one of the many reasons Lagoon wanted Intermountain Lift, Inc. to Fabricate the Columns and Track Segments for Bat and Wicked, but it didn't happen.

What I don't like about Wicked is the constant stopping of it to go retrieve guest items that have fallen off. Lagoon really needs to be better about stopping this kind of behavior. Last few times I've been there, about 5 trains run and then they stop to go get something. They did the same thing on Roller Coaster a few times. They have free fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for a reason people. Also, I wish the ride ops were better at advertising Wicked's single rider line. I think the wait times would be better.

I like Rapids/flume rides and while I do like Lagoon's I don't think it is worth the usually incredibly long line to get there and the log flume is kind of meh (it's also super old so it's forgivable.) I do wish the "Rattlesnakes Rapids" area was a little bit larger in general though, It has some cool theming but it is hard to admire because the line is always way outside the entrance to the area.

My favorite coaster at Lagoon (without having experienced Cannibal) is The Spider.

Also, if you are flying into SLC just to go to Lagoon, you can take the light rail from the airport to Lagoon with 1 transfer over to "Frontrunner." SLC (and Wasatch Front in general) has a really nice public transportation system.

Your Wicked comment Confuses me greatly, especially since the coasters, other than Cannibal, have a designated "Hat Run" Time in the Afternoon, which suspends operation for no more than 10 minutes, and it's been that way for several years now. I don't see how the multiple signs advertising the Single Rider Line at Wicked doesn't help with Capacity. Lagoon's Operations Team is Very Good. So much in fact, that after the first evening of Wicked's Opening, the Height Requirement was raised 4" overnight, from 46" to 50", because of the Booster Seat Fiasco. Once the Single Rider and Designated Seating Staircases were built, the Height Requirement was lowered back to 46". I also don't find an issue with a usual less than 45 minute wait on weekdays (Sun-Thurs) that are more like Under 30 Minutes Mostly. Of course, crap happens, and the wait could be longer, but not usually.

With Trax Light Rail and Frontrunner Commuter Rail, you specifically board a Southbound Green Line (Route 704) Trax Train at Airport Station, outside Terminal 1 at Salt Lake International Airport, Transfer to a Northbound Frontrunner (Route 750) Train at North Temple Bridge Station, and Transfer at Farmington Station to the Free Lagoon Shuttle (Route 667). I believe Lagoon is still the only Amusement Park where you can go Directly from Airport to Park in 3 Transfers or Less, no to mention Lagoon's contribution to the Frontrunner Farmington Station.

^ Last few times I've been they were stopping Wicked to go on flip flop and hat runs at least a few times while I was waiting in line. It might not be all the time. But it has happened a few times that I've gone to Lagoon that someone loses their flip flops and they stop the ride to go get them. Happened 4 times in a row one visit to Wicked (they started, ran 2 trains stopped to get hats, started up again ran 2 or 3 trains, stopped to get flip flops, etc.) I also lost a hat on the ride and the ride ops offered to stop the ride to go get my 5 dollar hat, lol. Also happened twice the last time I rode Roller Coaster while I was waiting in line. Twice. It might be inexperienced crews or a lax day, but I don't think this was the designated "stop to go retrieve all items lost on a ride" time, maybe it was, but that wasn't conveyed to the line very well.

They also don't let you utilize the single rider line as easily as it should be on Wicked. Lines wouldn't nearly be as long if park employees actively shifted people into the designated group/single rider line.

^ Last few times I've been they were stopping Wicked to go on flip flop and hat runs at least a few times while I was waiting in line. It might not be all the time. But it has happened a few times that I've gone to Lagoon that someone loses their flip flops and they stop the ride to go get them. Happened 4 times in a row one visit to Wicked (they started, ran 2 trains stopped to get hats, started up again ran 2 or 3 trains, stopped to get flip flops, etc.) I also lost a hat on the ride and the ride ops offered to stop the ride to go get my 5 dollar hat, lol. Also happened twice the last time I rode Roller Coaster while I was waiting in line. Twice. It might be inexperienced crews or a lax day, but I don't think this was the designated "stop to go retrieve all items lost on a ride" time, maybe it was, but that wasn't conveyed to the line very well.

They also don't let you utilize the single rider line as easily as it should be on Wicked. Lines wouldn't nearly be as long if park employees actively shifted people into the designated group/single rider line.

I can say with 99.9999% certainty, the ride was not stopped for repeated hat runs, as you assume. Wicked, like the other Coasters, besides Cannibal, have a Specific Scheduled Time that Hat Runs are Conducted. Even before these scheduled times, it was never SOP to stop the ride and search for a Loose Article every time a guest lost an item. If they indeed Suspended Operations several times, and did enter the ride enclosure to look for something, it was for something important. When you are unfamiliar with Lagoon's SOPs and Operations, it's easy to misinterpret things. With Roller Coaster, I would be willing to bet the Area Lead had the Remote and they didn't send a Train because the Lead was walking along the Track to get over the Walkway and to a safe spot.

Unless the Single Rider Line is Full on Wicked, you can always follow the Posted Single Rider Direction Signs at the Exit. Also, the Designated Seating Line is for those who require a Booster Seat. I can count on one hand the times I have seen a Train be dispatched with an empty seat, when there is a line and the Single Rider Line is Full. It's an extremely rare occurrence. There are many who have come to an LIF Potluck, Met Everyone, and Left with a New Appreciation and Understanding of Lagoon's Operations. Besides, I make better Funnel Cakes than any Park.

^ I really find it interesting how all these other people all have very different stories visiting the park from what you have working there and instead of listening to any of them, you immediately jump down their throats siting "SOPs" claiming that they are wrong.

Elissa said it best a few pages back "sometimes visiting the park as a guest is very different from visiting the park as an employee."

I see this happen a lot with employees that "think they know more than they do" when really I think you need to start listening to people who are visiting the park more than telling people that what they are seeing isn't happening.

The way you corrected Elissa, when I know damn well she was reporting exactly what she saw that day, and now you're correcting this person, too, sorry, not only are you being rude, but I don't believe anything you say. Sounds to me like you're just trying to be a shill for the park and try to make it as though none of these things people are reporting are happening. I don't buy it for second. And it's not like people are saying they are having a bad time, just reporting on operational things. You might work there in operations, but I guarantee you don't know everything, and it makes you look REALLY bad to go around correcting someone and telling them what they saw didn't happen.

Edited by robbalvey

Unless the Single Rider Line is Full on Wicked, you can always follow the Posted Single Rider Direction Signs at the Exit. Also, the Designated Seating Line is for those who require a Booster Seat. I can count on one hand the times I have seen a Train be dispatched with an empty seat, when there is a line and the Single Rider Line is Full. It's an extremely rare occurrence.

I've often gone to Lagoon with an odd number of people and we've had empty seats on Wicked, even with people in the single rider queue. I think it happens more times than you imagine it does.

Unless the Single Rider Line is Full on Wicked, you can always follow the Posted Single Rider Direction Signs at the Exit. Also, the Designated Seating Line is for those who require a Booster Seat. I can count on one hand the times I have seen a Train be dispatched with an empty seat, when there is a line and the Single Rider Line is Full. It's an extremely rare occurrence.

I've often gone to Lagoon with an odd number of people and we've had empty seats on Wicked, even with people in the single rider queue. I think it happens more times than you imagine it does.

Again, another person with a different story from what he claims. Interesting...

Edited by robbalvey

Rob you are my hero!

linearinduction is a troll who has been ruining the lagoonisfun.com forum for years. when i first saw him posting on here i thought; "oh no, here we go..." *eye roll*

but i am so happy to see you such him down so completely.

BRAVO!!!

I believe Lagoon is still the only Amusement Park where you can go Directly from Airport to Park in 3 Transfers or Less, no to mention Lagoon's contribution to the Frontrunner Farmington Station.

A bit off topic, but there are plenty of parks where you can do this. Of course lots all over Europe and Asia, but even here in the US (Six Flags over Georgia, California's Great America, Elitch Gardens, Oaks Park, Carowinds, Universal Orlando, Sea World Orlando, Santa Monica Pier, and Coney Island just off the top of my head).

I believe Lagoon is still the only Amusement Park where you can go Directly from Airport to Park in 3 Transfers or Less, no to mention Lagoon's contribution to the Frontrunner Farmington Station.

A bit off topic, but there are plenty of parks where you can do this. Of course lots all over Europe and Asia, but even here in the US (Six Flags over Georgia, California's Great America, Elitch Gardens, Oaks Park, Carowinds, Universal Orlando, Sea World Orlando, Santa Monica Pier, and Coney Island just off the top of my head).

However, Lagoon is still the Only Amusement Park with a Branded Commuter Rail Station.

^ But that's not what you said. Again, you're just twisting words around to make it sound like whatever someone else is saying is less correct than what you're saying. Seriously, you need to stop this or you won't be welcome on these forums anymore.