TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Next to the hyper market

Gerstlauer just finished up there new hyper coaster. Will they become a player in that market? Intamin and B&M build most of the hypers and all of the gigas. Who will be the next manufacturer to join the mega coaster market? Will Gerstlauer or mack start making them? Will Vekoma join in? Will chance rejoin the race? Some different company? Share your thoughts and opinions

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Chance has another chance this time around.

If Lightning run is any indication of Chance's powerful design, I could see a larger park going with a blown up version of this. Similar to mega lite -->I305. Since Morgan merged with Chance, they should have all the tools they need to get back on the market with hyper coasters.

Hebei Zhongye Metallurgical Equipment Manufacturing Co., Ltd, baby!

In seriousness, what I've gleaned from watching many interviews that Robb has conducted at IAAPA is that chief designers and engineers often have a stance of, "Sure, if someone approaches us and wants to do something new, we could do it." The only time I can think of a manufacturer's stance being "no way, Jose" was Sandor Kernacs being asked if the prefab woodies would go upside-down. It seems like a lot of firsts come from desire-fulfilling conversations between manufacturers and parks, and then a proven reputation over time will cause other parks to come knocking on the manufacturers' doors. In other instances, the manufacturers develop new types of coasters and push them (like S&S's recent 4-D spinner vs. the ZacSpin, B&M flyers vs. Vekoma Dutchmen, etc.).

- I think it's refreshing to see Mack's "we can do just about anything" attitude. I'd love to see them, along with Chance, pumping out full-fledged hypers.

- Many of those Gerstlauer layouts show ambition and a willingness to compete with unconventional designs. I like some of the funk in Gerstlauer layouts (some Stengel collaborations there), but I don't know that they mesh well with the graceful thrills expected from a traditional hyper. With Karnan and Cannibal, I can see a small market for a few more short, funky hypers, though. I think the reported jerkiness of some models, Smiler's issues, and the small trains/lower capacity will need to be overcome if high attendance parks are going to take a bite on a massive investment from them.

- I don't see any evidence that Vekoma is offering hyper coasters...they have a comprehensive online portfolio, & it looks like they're still going the boomerang/loopy/someone-take-a-flyer-on-our-flyer route. Still, ride quality has improved immensely with Vekoma's newer stuff, and I'd definitely be intrigued by what they could do.

- I'm sure we're all salivating at the thought of RMC going 200+ ft. with original designs.

Edited by Samuel

I've always wanted to see Vekoma build a non-looping 200+ ft. design. I'd be much more excited to see what they could come up with than for some of the extra-tall Eurofighter-esque coasters beginning to pop up. A tall Eurofighter is still a Eurofighter.

That's a decent layout coming from Vekoma. Gravity Max looks like a decent coaster, experience wise at least. If only they had proposed a 61m model...

I've always wanted to see Vekoma build a non-looping 200+ ft. design. I'd be much more excited to see what they could come up with than for some of the extra-tall Eurofighter-esque coasters beginning to pop up. A tall Eurofighter is still a Eurofighter.

I know what you mean. They're nothing more than just a faster & taller Euro. Although those high-speed turns do make a difference in ride experience somewhat.

I think that Mack is going to make a full circuit Intamin-esque hyper soon.

Funny, back in the day, Mack was analogous with Wild Mouse roller coasters, now they've really proven themselves since Blue Fire. They could potentially be the next Intamin.

I'd like to see Vekoma try to make a hyper but would love to see them bring back the Tilt coaster.

I'd think Mack would be the next hyper builder. Since they built their own version of the Intamin Mega-Lite (Alpina Blitz at Nigloland) I can see them go the next step and build much higher in the near future.

"The only time I can think of a manufacturer's stance being "no way, Jose" was Sandor Kernacs being asked if the prefab woodies would go upside-down.

Off topic, but Sander never said no, he was simply expressing their opinion on it, and that they believed it took away from the traditional feel of a wooden coaster. If someone approached them and wanted it they would deliver it like they always do!

A tall Eurofighter is still a Eurofighter.

And a tall Vekoma is still a Vekoma.

I would be interested too see it happen though!

I would have to think that RMC is knocking on this door if they are doing an original design ala Goliath... I don't think them going into the 200-225 ft. range is a stretch at all... But then again, it seems like they are doing more refurbishes for the next few seasons...

I think RMC, Chance Morgan and Mack are all ready to build a hyper if requested.

Vekoma could certainly do it as well, the thing is that would have to have a request for one....An who the hell out there is looking for a Vekoma hyper?

Vekoma could certainly do it as well, the thing is that would have to have a request for one....And who the hell out there is looking for a Vekoma hyper?

Once you get past all the enthusiast generated noise about Boomerangs and SLCs, which I would imagine just about all parks do, I don't see why one wouldn't. I doubt a relatively straightforward sit-down design would come with the issues that affected their GIBs or (early on) their Dutchman.

"The only time I can think of a manufacturer's stance being "no way, Jose" was Sandor Kernacs being asked if the prefab woodies would go upside-down.

Off topic, but Sander never said no, he was simply expressing their opinion on it, and that they believed it took away from the traditional feel of a wooden coaster. If someone approached them and wanted it they would deliver it like they always do!

I should have clarified that it wasn't a hard no in regard to capability, but a decline to the question from the standpoint of then-2012 personal philosophy. Thanks for cleaning up my post there .

I am surprised that no one has attempted a hyper woodie in recent years. There's been lots of flirtation with impressive heights, but 200 ft. has remained taboo -- fear of a SOB curse? With improved technology and Sonny gone, it seems like exclusive status and an easy world record are just there for the taking. With the defense of categorical rigidity going out-of-style, a likely candidate would be a RMC hybrid. A 185 ft. height + a tunnel could do it, not too far off in scope from Goliath. Although a long-shot for sure, I'd be interested to see GCI or Gravity Group swing for the fences with a big terrain drop.

Vekoma could certainly do it as well, the thing is that would have to have a request for one....And who the hell out there is looking for a Vekoma hyper?

Once you get past all the enthusiast generated noise about Boomerangs and SLCs, which I would imagine just about all parks do, I don't see why one wouldn't. I doubt a relatively straightforward sit-down design would come with the issues that affected their GIBs or (early on) their Dutchman.

Trust me I have no problem with Vekoma (I am actually a fan of their coasters as they are some of the only ones that still sort of scare me). I'm just going off the notion that parks would go with proven designs such as Intamin and B&M than risk it on a company who is venturing into the design for the first time.

I think that Vekoma would overthink the concept. Instead of airtime hills and overbanked curves, they would probably try to incorporate as many inversions as possible, and that would be unpleasant. If they chose to do things the former way, they could offer a potentially cheaper option for parks who cannot afford the big names.

I would have to think that RMC is knocking on this door if they are doing an original design ala Goliath... I don't think them going into the 200-225 ft. range is a stretch at all... But then again, it seems like they are doing more refurbishes for the next few seasons...

I agree. When I first read the title of this thread RMC was the first company to come to mind, and Goliath was the first coaster I thought of that made me think RMC would be the next ones to enter the hyper coaster category.

Yes, RMC is doing a lot of refurbishments right now, but they also seem to be the hottest coaster company out there right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not already planning, and working on a 200+ft coaster for one of the next up coming seasons, and we just don't know it yet.

• 2 weeks later...