TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your longest coaster road trip

As I see so many people asking road trip questions and I've just planned my big coaster road trip, I'm curious what your longest coaster road trip was. Now to be an official road trip, you have to drive. So what's your longest coaster road trip.

I just planned a 2,650 mile trip through the Southwest, which surpassed my previous long trip of 2,638 miles. This trip starts in SFoT and continues with Frontier City, Silver Dollar City, Joyland, Wonderland, Cliffs, Western Playland, SFFT. I just need to ride more RMC coasters.

I know many TPR have planned and executed most longer road trips, let's hear about them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for us, our longest thus far was Pennsylvania. . from Pittsburgh, driving to Philly, with stops along the way for: Kennywood, HersheyPark, Knoebel's, and Dorney.

we don't like to do a lot of driving, and tend to stay central on most trips, and then just go out for day trips from the hotel.

Ours was a combo of flying and road trip

June 3: Fly to Cleveland

June 4: Coastermania at Cedar Point

June 5: King's Island

June 6: Holiday World

June 7: Fly to Charlotte

June 8: Carowinds

June 9: Fly to Hartford/ Lake Compounce

June 10: Six Flags New England

June 11: Six Flags Great Adventure

June 12 Six Flags Great Adventure

June 13: Fly Home

My longest was my California trip in 2001 - two weeks - one week in the LA area (SFMM, Knotts, Disneyland) and then driving up to the Bay Area for a week (SCBB, at the time PGA and SFMW).

Second longest was a week in eastern PA in 2005 - Hershey, Dorney, Knoebel's, and SFGAdv.

As I've gotten older long trips don't really appeal to me anymore and I just plan shorter trips that may involve one or two parks.

Doing a round trip beginning and ending at JFK airport in a couple of weeks.

SF Great Adventure

Washington DC

Kings Dominion

Busch Gardens

Carowinds

Dollywood

Kings Island

Cedar Point

Knoebels

Hersheypark

Dorney Park

Can't wait!

Long road trip? Does a holiday of 3,5 weeks coasters and culture count?

It was Italy in 2014, from Holland we drove to Milaan and there started our family holiday with coasters! Total is was about 10.000km and the most southern part was the island of Sicily(Etnaland/vulcano Etna). And from there we drove back up the east coast and made a stop to visit some family.

This included:

- Zoomarine

- Cinecitta World(opening day!)

- Rainbow Magicland

- Zoosafari Fasanolandia

- Miragica

- Mirabilandia

- Movieland Studios

- Gardaland

- Europa Park(on the way back)

Now i'm always planning new roadtrips, and i'm working on a 4 week trip for June 2016 in the USA. This will take me/us, from northern Chicago/Minneapolis, to San Antonio.New Orleans back up to Dollywood, Busch Gardens Williamsburg to Six Flags New England. Then trough PA to Kennywood and Cedar Point.

It's going to be massive!

Here are a few of my bigger trips from 2014/2015

Last year I did a trip from Florida up through Ocean City, MD to Hershey, Dorney, Knoebels, DelGrosso, Idlewild, Lakemont, and Kennywood. Then headed back down through WV hitting Camden Park and down through Atlanta to central Florida. With a few other stops along the way it made the trip around 2800 miles in 10 days.

Last month I did a trip that included Texas, Arkansas, Southern Missouri, and Oklahoma. I visited SFFT, SWSA, SFOT, Magic Springs, Silver Dollar City, and Frontier City in a week. Not sure, but I think the total mileage was around 1900 miles in the 8 days.

I'm also doing a round trip in August starting and finishing at the Cincinnati/Kentucky airport. I'll be hitting Kings Island, Strickers Grove, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point, and Colombus Zoo. I think the total miles with parks, hotels, and other stops along the way will be around 1800-1900 miles or so. This is also a 8 day trip.

As a gift for getting my degree in Mechanical Engineering next year, next July I'm doing an insane 22 day trip, starting and ending at my home in the Syracuse, NY area. I will be covering the following:

-Canada's Wonderland

-Cedar Point

-Indiana Beach

-Six Flags Great America

-Six Flags St. Louis

-Silver Dollar City

-Frontier City

-Zero Gravity (Dallas)

-Six Flags Over Texas

-Schlitterbahn New Braunfels

-ZDT's Amusement Park

-Sea World San Antonio (might visit the Riverwalk in the evening if I get bored.)

-Six Flags Fiesta Texas

-Schlitterbahn Galveston Island

-Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier

-Kemah Boardwalk

-Magic Springs & Crystal Falls

-Beech Bend

-Holiday World

-Kentucky Kingdom

-Kings Island

-Waldameer

Of these, I've only visited CW, CP and Waldameer so far, and I haven't visited those since 2008/2009.

Hotwire only books hotels 10 months in advance, so I won't know the exact distances until early September. But when I "pretended" to book hotels earlier to get a good estimate on how much driving and lodging prices, it ended up being around 4,900 miles, and that will probably be within 5% of the actual trip values as the hotels usually aren't very far off the general route.

July 2013:

Home -> Hersheypark -> Kennywood -> Kings Island -> Holiday World -> Six Flags St Louis -> Six Flags Great America -> Cedar Point -> Dorney Park (impromptu 2hr stop on way home) -> Home.

Factor in stopping in Cleveland (Melt Bar and Grilled - yum!) and some side-street driving for food and whatnot and that trip clocked in at (conservatively) 2,300 miles.

May/June 2013, did six weeks around California, then the Northeast. Included plenty of non-theme park activities as well, but was planned around park visits. The northeast segment alone was about 3000 miles, New York to Cedar Point, down to Busch Gardens, and back to New York.

In 2003 I drove from Missouri to Florida. Parks I visited were BGT, Magic Kingdom, Old Town, and SFOG.

In 2004 I drove from Missouri to Texas. Parks I visited were Astroworld, Kemah Boardwalk (pre coaster), SFOT, SFFT, Sea World San Antonio, and Schliterbahn San Antonio.

Mine started 05/14/2015. Started off from home in Pensacola Florida. Drove to Charlotte NC. May 15th I was at Carowinds when the park opened. Spent the day riding all the coasters then drove to Richmond VA. May 16th, opened Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Then back to the hotel in Richmond. May 17th, opened Kings Dominion. Rode all the coasters then headed north to Six Flags America. Rode all their coasters then off to Philly. May 18 thru 21 spent time with my Marine son and family. May 22 took my 10 yr old grandson to Dorney Park for his birthday. We rode all the coasters. May 23 took the grandson, granddaughter and daughter in law to Six Flags Great Adventure. We had a great time. Now back to my rode trip. May 24 opened Hershey Park, first ride was Skylift, what a way to start a great day. May 25 opened Kennywood, my first time at this park. May 26 opened Kings Island. Long day with lots of rides. May 28th opened Kentucky Kingdom. No crowds no waiting in line so a short day with lots of rides. May 29 arrived at Holiday World for the start of Holiwood Nights. Had some great rides, good food, unsurpassed hospitality by the park staff. Then some fantastic rides on every seat on Thunderbird. Event ended at midnight and then back on the rode to Pensacola. Put just under 4000 miles on my brand new ride. 16 days, 11 parks.

My longest coaster road trip is a little convoluted, as it had a fairly massive transcontinental detour in the middle of it.

During Christmas season in 2011 (coinciding with the recent openings of Buzzsaw and Green Lantern) we flew from Toronto to Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia; spent 36 hours sleeping then flew from Sydney to Adelaide (South Australia).

In Adelaide we rented a car and drove 4,558 km (2,832 miles) to Gold Coast via Alice Springs in the centre of the continent; in order to hit our intended destinations of Dreamworld, Warner Bros. Movie World and Aussie World.

A little over 50 hours of driving (and 47.5 hours of flights).

Yes, we intentionally took the long way.

drive.JPG.56b4faa85929737b6baba41e0599be05.JPG

The Driving Portion

To date, me and my mother's biggest coaster trip was this year.

Day 1: Drive from New York all the way down to Virginia and spend half the day in Busch Gardens

Day 2: Drive from Williamsburg all the way down to Charlotte and spend the evening at Carowinds

Day 3: Whole day at Carowinds

Day 4: Whole day at Carowinds

Day 5: Drive back to Williamsburg and spend most of the day in Busch Gardens

Day 6: Drive back home.

The drive from NY to Charlotte clocked in around 11 hours, but we split the trip into two 5 1/2 hour legs by going to Busch Gardens and staying in a hotel there. Next year, we could very well be doing the same exact thing, except instead of Busch Gardens, we might purchase Platinum Passes so we can make this trip a joint Kings Dominion/Carowinds trip.

Hey Larry. I'm in the process of creating a text file of a trip my friend and I did back in 2001. I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of characters you can enter in this box. The reason is simply that this trip is a MONSTER (44 parks in almost 7 weeks) and will require a lot of text to do it justice. In any case, it won't be ready for another week or two.

mine is not impressive in distance. maybe if you combine distance and time.

1400 miles 20 hours of driving and 2 parks in 42.5 hours of time. Cincinnati to Louisville where we hit Kentucky Kingdom, Louisville to Doswell Virginia for Kings Dominion. Doswell to Louisville to drop my friend off, Louisville to Cincinnati.

Hey Larry. I'm in the process of creating a text file of a trip my friend and I did back in 2001. I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of characters you can enter in this box. The reason is simply that this trip is a MONSTER (44 parks in almost 7 weeks) and will require a lot of text to do it justice. In any case, it won't be ready for another week or two.

Bob - There is not a limit, as far as I know.

I think mine was Europe last year with great TPR company in a turbo diesel 9 seat van that could "almost" hold its own on the autobahn lol. It was a pretty epic four country trip.

Walibi Belgium

Bobbejaanland

Walibi Holland

Phantasialand

Holiday Park

Heide Park

Europa Park

Park Asterix

Walygator Parc

Plopsaland De Panne

We have a 2149.94 mile, 34 hour (round trip) trip coming up soon... Sadly only we only have time to visit two parks! All of this is being done in 4 days.

1st day driving to hotel outside Kings Island.

2nd day at Kings Island, then after leaving Kings Island at 10pm, driving to our hotel outside Sandusky.

3rd day at Cedar Point. Leaving Cedar Point at midnight, then driving back to hotel.

4th day driving all the way back home... To be back at work the next day.