TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drop Towers On Buildings?

Most of us have heard of the big shot tower on the stratosphere, and those who were on the Japan tour would've seen the Intamin tower at the Tokyo Dome; however, after reading this article on Intamin's site, it seems they can build (and in some cases already have built) these towers pretty much anywhere.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/Towers/Giant+Drop+on+Building/tabid/142/ProductNumber/Giant+Drop+on+Building/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

This got me thinking of places that might consider taking advantage of this. Obviously we've seen parks do it (Lex Luther & Zoomanjaro), but aside from one or two buildings similar to the stratosphere, I haven't seen it done anywhere else.

Personally the first place that comes to mind for me is a place like the CN tower, or one of these soon to be built skyscrapers http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/upcoming-amazing-skyscrapers/

Would be amazing to see something that could go up nearly the entire side of the building. If installed on one of the buildings mentioned above, or even the Stratosphere (Big Shot 2.0), it would almost definetly shatter the height record for any drop towers currently out there.

So, what are your thoughts? Any places you think might be a good fit for a tower?

Edited by canadianparkfan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Never heard of that one, but I remember seeing somewhere the Skyplex that's getting the Polar coaster in Orlando has plans for a drop tower.

I always just keep thinking whenever I visit big cities that a lot of the current drop towers in parks would be dwarfed by most buildings. Really surprised more urban ones haven't been built. I'm no expert, but it almost seems easier than something like Zumanjaro with no coaster trains and whatnot to worry about. If done right, with the appropriate building, it could be a major success.

Weren't there plans to build a 600-800 foot drop tower on a new building going up in Miami? I haven't heard anything about it recently, but it definitely seems possible.

I remember the project you're talking about. I wonder what ever happen to it??

LaQua's drop no longer exists, unfortunately.

Anyways, after having been on Lex Luthor, I gotta say, anything above 400 feet loses its thrill. I'm not sure if it's the height or the construction, but Lex Luthor really didn't wow me like others did. Blue Fall, as 350 feet and as a standalone tower, was WAY scarier and a better ride experience. Being connected to a building would, I feel, eliminate the sense of falling over.

Edit - To clarify -

Blue Fall - False drop or no, once you fell, you FELL! Straight down, zero-G, free fall like you're gonna die.

Lex Luthor - The brakes release, you fall, but there's laterals left and right because the tower isn't perfectly vertical, also it's always swaying due to size.

The laterals ruin the thrill. They let you know you're still being controlled.

^ Have to say I agree with you. Anything over 400ft looses its thrill, but the height is still pretty scary. I love drop towers i'v ridden both Zumanjaro and Lex Luthor. But I came to the conclusion that the restraints are to tight on your legs so you get no floaty airtime on the initial release at the top of the tower. But still very enjoyable. My favourite towers are Hurakan Condor, and Scream at Heide park. But maybe a 600ft+ would be great just because of the height, but the actual free fall itself wouldn't be any different from any other tower.

After thinking it over, seems like the problem with the super high towers losing their thrill has more to do with the cars than the tower itself. If I remember correctly, someone told me the aerodynamics of the "3rd gen" cars (ie. Zoomanjaro, SFMM drop of doom), combined with the new restraints means you lose that pop of air at the top/long sustained float down the tower.

If traditional/second gen cars (standard 4 across seats) were used, I believe a massive tower could be just as good if not better than most drop rides out there. For proof, just look at blue fall (tower in Japan recently filmed on TPR's YouTube channel).

I think a drop tower would be nice on the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai, the towers could go on the tree straight tubs connecting the 2 big domes (there is a roller coaster inside already so why not a drop tower?)

20090427_5361_Shanghai_Oriental_Pearl_Tower.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
After thinking it over, seems like the problem with the super high towers losing their thrill has more to do with the cars than the tower itself. If I remember correctly, someone told me the aerodynamics of the "3rd gen" cars (ie. Zoomanjaro, SFMM drop of doom), combined with the new restraints means you lose that pop of air at the top/long sustained float down the tower.

If traditional/second gen cars (standard 4 across seats) were used, I believe a massive tower could be just as good if not better than most drop rides out there. For proof, just look at blue fall (tower in Japan recently filmed on TPR's YouTube channel).

I always figured the same thing. To me, a gyro drop tower always felt less intense compared to a Intmain 2nd gen 4-seater (or any Larson/ARM tower). The only downside is that a 4-seater would not be suitable for a park that would need something with much higher capacity (hence Zumanjaro being three parallel towers seating 8 each).