TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

i360 - the World's tallest moving observation tower

Although this isn't a coaster or theme park, I thought some of you might be interested to know that they are currently building a huge observation tower ride in Brighton, which is a small city on the south coast of the UK.

The tower is going to be 531ft tall, and the gigantic mirrored glass gondola will go 450ft up into the air. Although it's 'just' an observation tower it looks like bit of a reinvention of the idea just like the London Eye was of the ferris wheel. I also think it looks really nicely designed with the mirrored glass gondola, the really slender minimalist tower and the location which is in contrast to the victorian buildings around it.

Artists impressions:

• It is being designed by Marks Barfield architects who designed the London Eye

• Manufacturers include Hollandia (steel), Poma (gondola), and Jacobs (engineers)

• 531 feet tall with the glass gondola climbing to 450 feet

• The gondola can hold 200 people and people can either sit or stand

• At night the gondola becomes the Sky Bar with drinks and entertainment

• From the top you will be able to see around 26 miles in every direction

• Views include Brighton, the countryside and the biggest off-shore wind farm in the world

• At the bottom will be a bistro, cafe, shop, exhibition and function rooms

• Built on the site of an old Victorian pier which was virtually destroyed by storms and fire

Construction photos:

The tubular steel sections came directly from Holland by boat and were delivered by barge onto Brighton Beach. The tower is being built from the bottom up using a tower they have constructed where they push each section of the tower up and put each new section in underneath which is how they build tower cranes. This means they won't have to use so many cranes or have people working at height.

More on Brighton i360:

• Official website: http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/

• Construction webcam: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/i360_brighton/

• Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360

Edited by KarlaKoaster

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did anyone see i305 in the title like I did?

I did. Then I realized . . . i360?! WTF?! I must click and learn.

I bet the views from this are going to be amazing. Looks amazing! Also, the way they are constructing the tower is pretty fascinating.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few recent images. The tower is now at the full height which didn't seem to take long. I saw it for the first time in real life yesterday. It is huge!! It is minimalist enough not to be too intrusive though, and I think it will look even better once the gondola is going up and down because it looks like it will be really beautifully designed.

The pictures are of the jacking tower which is where they slide tower pieces into before raising the tower. It also shows the tower on the seafront and also the gondola under construction at the Poma factory.

Apologies for anyone expecting an i305 update

final-jacking-image.thumb.jpg.e379302de3b6c75e9853864ca569fe6a.jpg

Brighton-i360-tower-reaches-full-height-Credit-Brightoni360-Kevin-Meredith.thumb.jpg.e1372a531c5754db5d3994b4f808b8d3.jpg

aa8a6ae9-d5a4-4aaa-802d-74f993d327c6-original.thumb.jpeg.0b613712f61f353730292f7b53d90888.jpeg