TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Los Angeles Parks Advice

tngdiablo

Going to be spending about 3.5 days in LA later this month. I'd like to definitely hit up SFMM, but am torn about other parks such as Knott's, Disneyland, DCA. I'm not sure if it's worth my time at those parks versus doing more touristy things in the area. I'm assuming that if I want any chance of getting everything done at SFMM in one day, I'll need the Platinum Flash Pass?

FWIW, I'm going to be doing this solo. Is it worth going to either of the other parks in the area, other than for credits?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the touristy stuff in LA is way overrated so if you're into coasters you should absolutely hit up SFMM and Knott's. Disney is Disney. Don't go just for credits, go if you actually like Disney. If you want to get a 'taste' of touristy stuff along with a park you could do Universal Studios.

And yes...July at SFMM, get whatever best Flashpass you can.

I was just in L.A and I did Magic Mountain, didn't need a flash pass I was just clever with what I rode and when I rode it. If your alone your can single rider twisted Colossus, green lantern and a couple others. I did every coaster in one evening from 6pm-9pm and then one full day, over July 4th weekend. And then at Knott's I rode every coaster by 2pm and that was on a Sunday July 5th, i'd say its definitely worth a visit.

I was just in L.A and I did Magic Mountain, didn't need a flash pass I was just clever with what I rode and when I rode it. If your alone your can single rider twisted Colossus, green lantern and a couple others. I did every coaster in one evening from 6pm-9pm and then one full day, over July 4th weekend. And then at Knott's I rode every coaster by 2pm and that was on a Sunday July 5th, i'd say its definitely worth a visit.

Hmm. I totally plan on being at Magic Mountain for a whole day, so maybe I don't need the flash pass? Or maybe I can make do with the gold flash pass, instead of the platinum, save $55. I wonder how many rides have a single rider line.

Hmm. I totally plan on being at Magic Mountain for a whole day, so maybe I don't need the flash pass? Or maybe I can make do with the gold flash pass, instead of the platinum, save $55. I wonder how many rides have a single rider line.

Again, you asked our opinion and we gave it to you. IMO, if you are flying from NY to LA and will only be at SFMM for one day, you have to decide how much your time is worth. For me, even if the lines are only 20-30 minutes, and a Flash Pass means I can wait ZERO minutes, IMO those pockets of 20 minutes add up and you can either ride MORE stuff or have a more relaxing day.

It might also mean that you have time for things that perhaps you may otherwise not ride, like a log flume, flat ride, or rapids ride.

I don't like waiting in lines.. AT ALL. If lines are more than 15 minutes, I'm not waiting. I'll get the virtual queue system. Maybe I'm just spoiled but if there is one thing I can't stand doing is waiting in line when I could be riding.

Keep in mind that with most single rider lines, you can't choose where you ride. But again, if this is not a big deal to you, and $55 is not something you have disposable to spend, then you have to make that decision.

We can only give you advice on how we would do the parks, and we would never go to a park as big as Magic Mountain and NOT get the Platinum Flash Pass.

Edited by robbalvey

Just doing some more checking.... 14 of the 19 coasters at SFMM are available on the Platinum Flash Pass:

Twisted Colossus (available for single ride on THE FLASH Pass Platinum only; limited availability).

Full Throttle (available for single ride on THE FLASH Pass Platinum only; limited availability).

SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton (available for single ride on THE FLASH Pass Platinum only; limited availability).

Apocalypse

BATMAN The Ride

Goldrusher

Goliath

GREEN LANTERN: First Flight

Jet Stream

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

Revolution

RIDDLER's Revenge

Roaring Rapids

Scream

Tatsu

Tidal Wave

Viper

X2 (available for an additional fee on THE FLASH Pass Gold & Platinum, limited availability)

This means the only coasters you'd have to wait in line for are the four kiddie coasters (one of which you cannot ride at all) and Ninja. I just don't understand why someone who is coming from out of town wouldn't get this to guarantee their visit is going to be much more hassle free.

Edited by robbalvey

I was just musing. Thanks for the input, Robb. As I thought it over earlier during lunch, I realized the platinum flash pass is the way to go. It's expensive, but will ensure that I get to fit in everything I want to do.

Looks like I'll get to go to Magic Mountain and Knott's. I'll leave Disney for when I have friends or family with me.

Thanks all for your help!

I was just musing. Thanks for the input, Robb. As I thought it over earlier during lunch, I realized the platinum flash pass is the way to go. It's expensive, but will ensure that I get to fit in everything I want to do.

Looks like I'll get to go to Magic Mountain and Knott's. I'll leave Disney for when I have friends or family with me.

Thanks all for your help!

i can't see visiting a park from far away and not getting fast land/flash pass anymore. takes so much stress off, imo.