TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Overrated Parks

Cedar Point, Cedar Point, Cedar Point .. This place is way over priced

Way overpriced? No, I wouldn't say that. Not more than any other theme park. Hell, admission is $41.95 at the gate and they have 17 coasters, SFMM has 15 coasters and SFGADV has 13, yet both their admission prices are $59.99 at the gate.

I think their hotels are a bit overpriced for what you get. Breakers gives you basically a $100 room for $200+ because you can walk into the park. Heck, I think the rack rate for the Wilderness Lodge at WDW during value season is currently $215. And that's a HELL of a lot nicer hotel than Breakers.

The concessions are also overpriced, but no more so than anywhere else.

True. But, whether the Breakers are over priced or not, the hotel's still booked full in July and August.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HersheyPark- Why? Mediochre overrated coasters(in my opinion) Storm runner was good but nowhere near the 'best' roller coasters. Wildcat was fun just nowhere near great. Lightning Racer almost put me to sleep the 2nd time i rode it- nothing special and it gets boring after the first time. And the rest of the coasters aren't anything special xept' for Great Bear's Zero-g roll, that was fun. I got bored after 5 hours in this park and basically just took pictures and got in some boring re-rides on the coasters for the rest of the day. And the park employee told us the boardwalk closed when the parked close, which was 10:00 pm. But in reality, the waterpark closed at 7:00 Pm although all the slides still had huge line and it was 90 degrees and humid outside. I didn't get mad at that part i just got mad that he lied to us. Hopefully their new coaster is good, otherwise their's no reason to make a return trip to Hershey.

CEDAR POINT for me. It has no atomshere at all. It is just a big blob of concrete. The coasters are extremely overrated. It does seem like Maverick will be a reason to go. Millenium is really overrated, etc. It needs some trees

My thoughts exactly.

I'd also like to add Kings Island (really nice park, but i don't like any of their rides besides Faceoff and Dropzone. The rest are very overrated) and Holiday World (yes it's a GREAT park, however I don't think it's the end-all be-all park that people make it out to be. It's an extremely fun place with great rides but not the ultimate park like some people say).

Cedar Point for me.

As some have already said, they have some good rides, but they are really overrated IMO. None of the coasters are bad, but they are just mediocre to me. Maverick and TTD were the only true eye-openers to me when i rode them for the 1st time.

I mean for me, the coasters were so over hyped that my expectations were set SO high and then when I actually rode them, i thought they were good, but not as AMAZING as everyone made them out to be.

I think Thorpe Park is slightly overhyped... Sure it has Colossus, but have you ridden it lately? People come off with bruises on their necks and in one case, I've seen someone come off with a bleeding ear!

X:\WTF? No explaination needed.

Once legendary, now crappy rapids ride that seems to make you drier rather than wetter...

Slammer never seems to change pace. The first time's a real kick, but afterwards, it's not that great...

Nemesis Inferno. Am I the only one to say that it feels like any normal B&M ride? No matter how many times I ride it, it always feels like I've ridden it at another park...

It seems the only real reason to go to Thorpe is for the halloween celebrations and Stealth...

Cedar Point for me.

As some have already said, they have some good rides, but they are really overrated IMO. None of the coasters are bad, but they are just mediocre to me. Maverick and TTD were the only true eye-openers to me when i rode them for the 1st time.

I mean for me, the coasters were so over hyped that my expectations were set SO high and then when I actually rode them, i thought they were good, but not as AMAZING as everyone made them out to be.

It seems the same that way with me, for example, i had high expectations for rides like Nitro and Storm Runner, i though Nitro was very fun but Storm Runner was mediocre. Whereas El Toro i had NO expectations for it whatsoever, and it turned out to be a big surprise as i didn't believe any of the review of el toro as i used to dislike wooden coasters. So that's why El Toro is still my favorite coaster and i don't see any coasters knocking it outta that spot till i visit California that is, or some other place i haven't been to yet.

For me it has to be Alton Towers (Staffordshire, England).

They do have an outstanding coaster in Nemesis, but that's pretty much it. Spinball Whizzer, (spinning coaster) Oblivion (90* drop) and Air (B&M flyer) are OK rides, and Hex (Haunted swing) is nice. But Alton could really do with some more major rides and a few flat rides to cope with the crowds the place attracts.

A few years ago Alton used a tagline in their television advertisements as, "Alton Towers, Where The Magic Never Ends." For me, the magic never started. Well, apart from the magical way they empty your wallet at every turn. Heck, you even have to pay to get out of the place!

Simon Baynham

For me it has to be Alton Towers (Staffordshire, England).

They do have an outstanding coaster in Nemesis, but that's pretty much it. Spinball Whizzer, (spinning coaster) Oblivion (90* drop) and Air (B&M flyer) are OK rides, and Hex (Haunted swing) is nice. But Alton could really do with some more major rides and a few flat rides to cope with the crowds the place attracts.

A few years ago Alton used a tagline in their television advertisements as, "Alton Towers, Where The Magic Never Ends." For me, the magic never started. Well, apart from the magical way they empty your wallet at every turn. Heck, you even have to pay to get out of the place!

Simon Baynham

I know how you feel... Nemesis was (and still is) a rush for me, Oblivion's a one trick pony, but the rest are just mediocre...

They can't do much coaster-wise though because of the *insert explicit language* Ropers...

SFFT

Tony Hawk was fun but come on, what was with the theming?

Superman is just meh at best. It is just a boring cookie cutter BM.

Boomerang-OMG there is one at like...EVERY PARK!

Rattler-Ouch after the first drop you want it to be over already and is a piece of cr*p.

Roadrunner-Fun minetrain but does not have good pacing. It gets fast and then slow and then fast and then BAM breaks!

Poltergeist-fun but very rough now

And then some mediocre flats.

The theming there looks like they started and then ran out of money. You can do everything there minus the shows in about 3 hours on a day with Plain White T's playing there. Trust me, I was there and it was pathetic.

--David

Jeez, not enough people are saying Six Flags Magic Mountain"!

I need to clone myself.

Jeez, You need to realize that your opinion is not the "magical right opinion.

Anyways, My vote also goes to Hersheypark.

Knoebels is one of my favorite parks. I think if you think its overated you havent gone there enough, it was crowded or a mix of both. I've gone there so many times and I'm attached to it. What I love about it is that it is not all rides. There is so much stuff there and the park experience is great. The food is unbelievable, it is in the mountains and the woods, there are many unique rides, the clientele is completely different than almost every park out there, and the rides are great, including the flats. Not many parks can boast about having great flats, Knoebels can.

I'd have to go with Holiday World. I mean Voyage is good and all (though I think El Toro is significantly better), but everything else is just "meh"... I enjoyed Raven and Legend, but they're not top 10 coasters for me by any means (probably not even top 20). It's a nice little park for what it is, but overall, it's WAY overhyped by the coaster community.

Cedar Point and Holiday World.

Both have been put at such a level of worship that neither will ever really live up to their hype.

Now I love both parks, but there are several ahead of them on my list.

Cedar Point probelms:

Except for about 5 coasters, their collection is mediocre at best. Who cares about 17 coasters when 12 of them are blah?

Holiday World is a small little park with 3 great woodies. Not much else to say. And frankly the people at Dollywood are just as friendly in my book.

True, there aint many rides there. But 90% are awesome.

What other park has so many "e-ticket" rides in one park?

I'd say Tokyo DisneySea (not as a disappointment but in answer to the "e-ticket" question).

Holiday World is a small little park with 3 great woodies. Not much else to say. And frankly the people at Dollywood are just as friendly in my book.

I agree. Besides Mrs. Koch and Paula who are both very nice, only 2 ops looked like they were having fun and talked throughout the whole day I was there.

SFKK, Beech Bend, Lake Compounce, Little Amerricka, and Timber Falls are all much friendlier parks in my opinion. Busch Gardens Europe also have some pretty cool ops.

^Agree with the SFKK staff comment!

I've been to SFKK, SFA, and SFOT and of those three, surprisingly, Kentucky's staff was by far the friendliest.

As far as Holiday World, I don't know if I could ask for more than 3 great woodens, all in the top 20 of last year's poll. Knoebels is sufficient for me, and that only has one great wooden and 1 good wooden.

I've only been to 10 parks, and none of them really were "overrated." SFA was bad I guess, but that has a bad reputation.