TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Overrated Parks

What's the park(s) that everybody loves, but you just don't get it?

For me, that park would be Knoebel's. I *love* the Phoenix and Twister, but the rest of the park just didn't quite do it for me. I thought that I didn't like traditional parks until my trip to SCBB which I fell in love with.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most overrated park.. Hmmm..

Busch Gardens Tampa seems to let me down a lot. I just CAN'T have a decent day there for some reason. Montu is great.. Gwazi has the worst operation in the world.. and isn't a great wooden coaster by any means (in my honest.. Northeast Wooden coaster opinion), and Kumba doesn't do it for me. Sheikra will bring a much needed second wind to this park.

As far as the usual.. Six Flags AstroWorld.. Six Flags America.. I really havent had too many parks that have let me down.

Eric

WOW! I feel at home on this site! Everyone on TN bashed me for saying "IOA sucks / is over rated" and for saying that "Hulk really isnt that good..."

So.... Yeah... Islands Of Adventures... they have all of 15 rides..... And havent really done ANYTHING for the last 4 years.....

Also Cedar Point isnt that great.. With all 5 of its rides that Invert you... and all 6 flatrides..... Cedar Point was cool... like... in 1996.

Holiday World...

I mean they have 1 really good woody, 1 good woody...um, yeah, that's it! They have less than Silverwood and Knoebels both of which have a better "1-2 Punch" in their woodies and those parks also have more rides! I'm pretty sure Holiday World got its rating because of SRM, now that it's gone, the two woodies have already gone down in the polls and I heard from very few people who went the last two years!

Also, the reason those woodies were really good was because you could ride them at night, when normally throughout the whole summer they're never open at night. I bet now, those woodies haven't give "SRM caliber" rides in 2 years!

Elissa "oh, and Hershey!!!!" Alvey

The parks I think are overrated are:

1. Efteling. Its big, its gardeny, its so amazing. Um, no. Its big, yes, too big. By the time you end up where you wanted to go, you forget what exactly you were looking for. The food was average, they had no maps on the paths, and even the animals were angry. The coasters are average at best, there's a lot of opened spaces with mud and crap. Oh yeah, and Spookslut, which is not a haunted house!

2. PKI. This park blows big time. The coasters are mediocre, there aren't queues for rides, its always crowded, and it takes about 1 minute after getting out of the car to want to get back into the car and drive somewhere else.

3. Holiday World. It should be renamed "Splashing Safari & 30 minutes worth of rides" If not for the 2 wood coasters, would anyone ever go there? And even after going, you're pretty much done and bored in no time.

IMO, anyone who thinks Knoebel's is overrated is out of thier minds, but I know for some people that kind of park isn't for them. I have been going there since I was 3 years old (I live 20 minutes away), and I have always loved it. Phoenix, Twister, the Flyers, the Skooters, and the food is enough to make you love it.

SFMM

I had seen internet battles over multiple boards for years pitting Cedar Point against SFMM. When I finally got to visit the park ... there was no comparison.

X - I will give SFMM that one

Riddlers - One train, but a good ride

Goliath - One train

Mine Train - One train

Deja - Closed

Superman - Closed

Flashback - Closed

Psyclone - Bad

Colossus - Not as bad as Psyclone, but not too good either

Revolution - Probably the worst restraints ever made

Ninja - Good

Batman - 3rd best ride in the park

Riddlers was probably the suprise of the visit, but what is with that ghetto black round-up in Gotham City

^ Yeah...I totally agree. SFMM to me is the largest collection of "mediocre" rides anywhere. Like our visit today...we took a lap around the park, rode all the major stuff once, and we were like "Do you guys want to ride anything else or anything a second time?" "No."

Yeah...that's what I thought!

There really isn't anything wrong with most of the coasters there, just none of them are really THAT good....

--Robb

The parks I think are overrated are:

1. Efteling. Its big, its gardeny, its so amazing. Um, no. Its big, yes, too big. By the time you end up where you wanted to go, you forget what exactly you were looking for. The food was average, they had no maps on the paths, and even the animals were angry. The coasters are average at best, there's a lot of opened spaces with mud and crap. Oh yeah, and Spookslut, which is not a haunted house!

OMG! I had almost forgotten about the Spookslut!!!! This is a lesson for everyone out there...never give Derek a map and tell him to choose a ride!

Elissa "the best ride there was the bench we all slept on...oh and those things they sold outside the park to eat!!!" Alvey

IMO, anyone who thinks Knoebel's is overrated is out of thier minds, but I know for some people that kind of park isn't for them. I have been going there since I was 3 years old (I live 20 minutes away), and I have always loved it. Phoenix, Twister, the Flyers, the Skooters, and the food is enough to make you love it.

How do you think the PoP is going to affect this? Is the park still free to enter.. just cant pay for indivdiual tickets? It would really be awful if they ever close the park off and shut out the locals. I always love walking around there and seeing dogs just hanging out..

Eric

Busch Gardens Williamsburg, okay, this has equal theming to Busch Gardens Tampa. All of the coasters are meh, except for the B&M's and Big Bad Wolf.

Not trying to criticize or argue, but you do realize that only leaves one coaster right? I personally enjoyed the coasters and the park, but felt a severe lack in flat rides.

As for my most overrated park, I'm gonna have to agree with Elissa on this one and go with Holiday World. Yeah, the park is fun and nice, but I don't think it is anywhere near what some people make it out to be. The coasters are nice, especially the Legend, but there isn't really anything unique about the rest of the rides in the park. They are all fairly generic. I think the park is also becoming a victim of its own success. It has become very successful and is now a small park with large crowds. It's becoming hard for me to enjoy the park now.

Indiana Beach.

I LIKE the park for what it is, but it's not a park that I wanna go to every year, or even every other year. I went this past year and the day after that chick faded at SRM, and I'm done.

I guess since I like Hoosier Hurricane more than Cornball Express, you can see where I might feel this way, but still. Even after that, the park just feels too cramped and old, and not in a good way.

Brian, who says if you're wondering where I am, don't look in Monticello, IN.

Great Escape and SFNE both are completely overrated. The Comet is a fun coaster but nowhere near as good as my other woodies have ridden(Boulderdash, Wildcat@HP, Lightining Racer, Skyliner). SFNE has Superman but what else??? And don't tell me Batman:Knight Flight is a great floorless I have Medusa here in GAdv(and possibly MW as well) which are better. And their woodies bore me. It insults New England's great wooden coasters both active and defunct.

3. Holiday World. It should be renamed "Splashing Safari & 30 minutes worth of rides" If not for the 2 wood coasters, would anyone ever go there? And even after going, you're pretty much done and bored in no time.

Now I know why I don't do message boards, it's too tough and incoherent to quote older posts.

Anyway, I totally agree. I've been mobbed many times on RRC for this, but Holiday World got it's enthusiast popularity from holding the largest gay event in the Midwest every year. And, by blaming enthusiasts for thier own operational issues, they ended up pissing off plenty of us, gay or straight.

Growing up only an hour from there, I still am amazed at their crowds now. Nobody went there when I was in High School, especially with Blitzen as their only coaster. Yes, Raven is phenomenal, but they can only rest on its laurels for so many years. And Legend is about as over-rated as they come. I'll ride a scrambler if I want those kinds of laterals for a minute or so, which I don't.

They need a good steel and a dark ride BAD.

Rastus

• 2 years later...

Knott's (formerly Paramount's) Great America.

Vortex - short and rough for a B&M

Demon - corkscrew = ouch

Invertigo - Slow moving line and rough

Top Gun - I'll give them credit for that. Fastest moving line on an inverted coaster I have ever seen

Grizzly - pretty good, but not worth re-riding

Psycho Mouse - nothing special. just another "mouse ride"

Stealth (Removed) - Was the best ride there until they removed it.

Greased Lightnin (removed) - No lines and quite a fun ride. but GA made the mistake of removing that too.

The last time I went there, I waited for a combined total of about 4 hours for a major headache.