TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Overrated Parks

Six Flags Magic Mountain.....

I had grown up wanting to go to this park ever since I saw it in Vacation and in a coaster video I had rented from the library. From the videos, Colossus and viper were like the "end all" coasters. And then as I got older, and their coaster count got higher and higher, it hyped it up so much more for me. I remember being amazed at the building of Superman and Goliath.

Then I took my first trip in college. I realized quickly that only a handful of their coasters were very good. A huge list of rides were closed (including X and Deja Vu on my first visit). There were very few flat rides (or shows), and the food was crap. Not that I dislike the park. I still enjoy going to the park. It was just such a let down of what it could have been.

Totally overrated.

My other big overrated park = Hersheypark. Worse than CP in it's landscaping in the back half of the park, and none of the coasters wowed me at all.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Busch Gardens Euroburg is a little overrated. I seriously think the reason why Busch Gardens Tamprica never gets "beautiful park awards" is because parts of it smells like poo poo.

Then again, thats the fanboy speaking in me.

And to piss off Jahan even more, Disneyland is a tiny bit overrated because it has a tiny little castle.

Busch Gardens Africa

It was an alright park, but parts of it seemed to be rundown and not as "kept up" as BGE did, also I didn't really care for the crammed in feeling parts of the park had. (not the serengeti)

It's not a bad park, I just think it is of lower quality compared to Busch Gardens Europe.

Ill agree with everyone else here and say BGA, its a pretty nice park but very overrated. I dont enjoy Montu much at all, Sheikra is awesome, Kumba kicks ass, Gwazi is decent, Scorpion I actually like a lot. In terms of anything else though it lacks, the landscaping and theming is bad compared to BGE and while some rides have good operations, a large chunk of the ops there are under-par for a corporate park (good to see im not the only one who finds Gwazi's load times horrendus).

I enjoy CP a lot but yeah, its overrated. Strange cause some things at CP of course are overrated: MF, Magnum (most overrated coaster ever), Gemeni. But some coasters at CP are extremely underrated now: Mantis (im sure was rated high when it opened, you dont hear much about it now but its awesome), Disaster Transport, Blue Streak, Demon Drop.

Ill agree with everyone else here and say BGA, its a pretty nice park but very overrated. I dont enjoy Montu much at all, Sheikra is awesome, Kumba kicks a$$, Gwazi is decent, Scorpion I actually like a lot. In terms of anything else though it lacks, the landscaping and theming is bad compared to BGE and while some rides have good operations, a large chunk of the ops there are under-par for a corporate park (good to see im not the only one who finds Gwazi's load times horrendus).

You like Gwazi, but not Montu? I put Gwazi into the "please burn it down" category. The only hope for that ride is if they would retrofit it with Millennium Flyer trains. If the Hershey Wildcat retrofit turns out well, this just might happen. Who would have thought they would go through the trouble of modifying Sheikra's trains.

Canobie really doesn't have that many people talking about, and it's all because it is one of the few amusment parks in New England. Also, Yankee Cannonball is awesome. I do agree that the park needs some work though, but it is a nice small park, maybe not as good as Holiday World or Knoebels in that category, but... Oh, nevermind I've ran out of reasons to defend it

But still, Yankee Cannonball is awesome. Just bring the rest of the park up to scratch...

Also, I don't know why people don't like Cedar Point's Blue Streak. It had a ton of crazy airtime when I went there, maybe even more then Magnum does.

Are you serious? It seems everyone from New England is a fanboy and raves about the park. However, park blows as does Yankee Cannonball. It waited 45 minutes on the slow moving line for a very underwhelming ride. VERY UNDERWHELMING!

Hershey Park, it was a great park, but it just didn't live up to my expectations I had.
I agree completely, my experience there was average. StormRunner and Lightning Racer were a huge disapointment after I heard so many grat things about them.

Canobie really doesn't have that many people talking about, and it's all because it is one of the few amusment parks in New England. Also, Yankee Cannonball is awesome. I do agree that the park needs some work though, but it is a nice small park, maybe not as good as Holiday World or Knoebels in that category, but... Oh, nevermind I've ran out of reasons to defend it

But still, Yankee Cannonball is awesome. Just bring the rest of the park up to scratch...

Also, I don't know why people don't like Cedar Point's Blue Streak. It had a ton of crazy airtime when I went there, maybe even more then Magnum does.

Are you serious? It seems everyone from New England is a fanboy and raves about the park. However, park blows as does Yankee Cannonball. It waited 45 minutes on the slow moving line for a very underwhelming ride. VERY UNDERWHELMING!

It's a fun little park, it has the old time park feel to it. But I do have many complaints about it, like the incredibly slow moving queues. (I'm no fanboy, SFNE is way better.)

BGE (pre-Griffon). When I went back in 2004, all they had were 4 coasters and corkscrew hill. After you did them, there's not much else to do and we ended up leaving earlier than we expected because of boredom. DarKastle wasn't open yet, Pompeii is just a fancy Pittsburgh Plunge and it was cold that day so no getting wet, same goes for Roman Rapids, a fancy Raging Rapids, and Battering Ram was just a fancy, boring Pirate Ship.

SFMM

Their rides are very good, very thrilling, and kept us busy all day. It's just the employees are terrible and the layout is very confusing for people who are from the other side of the country and don't know the park at all. My parents and I got lost so many times when we went to SFMM.

Top 5 overrated parks:

1)SFMM- The overall park experience was awful, both times i went. The employees are useless. The park is disgustingly dirty. The rides are always closed. Need I say more? If you are thinking about going, just throw a couple hundred bucks out the window. Save yourself the time.

2)Holiday World- I just don't get it.

3)SFGA- Dirty park with mediocre rides. El Toro is great though.

4)BGA- It's ok.

5)Knoebels- I would rather go to Wyandot Lake

Hersheypark - I have never seen a park that was so anal when it comes to rain, or in some ways, operations. It started off that Great Bear was running only one train, along with other coasters - on a Saturday! I didn't get to ride Storm Runner (yes, I understand the rain thing on this one), nor the Monorail (d'oh!), but did do the GIANT Wheel (in 2004, final season). Yes, it's nice that they have rainchecks, but the fact that I live in Cincinnati didn't really allow me to return. Yes, it might have been my first ever trip there, and had it not been raining everywhere, I would have enjoyed it more.

- Kings Island: It would have been on top if it weren't my home park. However, Paramount did a good job doing this park in, and Cedar Fair has some work to do. Getting rid of the flying eagles didn't help, as well as lax aesthetic maintenance/cleaning.

Cedar Point, as a park, I think is rated rightly. However, Millennium Force is either overrated or too popular. It does have neat floater airtime and is ultra-smooth, but if I'm looking for more "fun," and greater air, it's on another coaster at this park. And I prefer Magnum and Gemini for that negative-g experience- more of it with less wait and hassle. I'll agree with some about Blue Streak and Disaster Transport being underrated. The only thing I really don't like about DT is the capacity, especially when compared to other CP rides.

• 3 weeks later...

Tokyo Disney Sea - I know this is going to be controversial, but I went about a month ago and I don't see what the big deal is. You'd think in a park that they spent a zillion dollars to build or whatever, there would be more than three good rides.

I saw the "Sea of Dreams" video and that is NOT how it is. The park is way too crowded (are there ANY caps on attendence at ALL or do they just want your money?), the guests are rude (seems like that Japanese hospitality applies everywhere BUT theme parks), and there was even a kid running around naked in some fountains and mothers changing diapers on park benches were seen multiple times.

It was hot, humid, rainy and the wind cancelled the only thing I really wanted to see, BraviSEAmo. Well, it wasn't cancelled completely but "altered". Yeah let's build a theme park right on the ocean where the wind is always blowing at 40 mph and you're always sticky and miserable.

I had planned to go to DisneySea for two days but cancelled in favor of a day trip to see more of REAL Japan. Sorry, I had so much fun in Japan, but NOT at the Tokyo Disney Resort.

5)Knoebels- I would rather go to Wyandot Lake

This is a bizarre comparison as Wyandot Lake doesn't really qualify as an amusement park. It's more of a water park with a few really crappy flat rides and a slow kiddie coaster.

Cedar Point, Cedar Point, Cedar Point .. This place is way over priced, average coasters, no atmosphere, and it's just plain ugly. I mean what sort of @$#%@# management company builds a park in such a awesome location, but then focuses all of your attention inside the park .. to gravel and concrete?! The only time you can see the water is on a few of the rides .. lame.

Cedar Point has nothing unique to offer and there's just no reason to go there (except maybe for the Derby Racer!).

Cameron.

Cedar Point, Cedar Point, Cedar Point .. This place is way over priced

Way overpriced? No, I wouldn't say that. Not more than any other theme park. Hell, admission is $41.95 at the gate and they have 17 coasters, SFMM has 15 coasters and SFGADV has 13, yet both their admission prices are $59.99 at the gate.

I'll agree with the mediocre rides, because most of them are "one hit wonders" as I like to call them, where they were "the first of it's kind" at one point in time, but, with age, they will get boring and dull to the point where no one really cares about them anymore (Corkscrew is a good example). That's why I'm finally glad that CP has built a unique coaster that will be "fun" for years and years to come.

Cedar Point, Cedar Point, Cedar Point .. This place is way over priced

Way overpriced? No, I wouldn't say that. Not more than any other theme park. Hell, admission is $41.95 at the gate and they have 17 coasters, SFMM has 15 coasters and SFGADV has 13, yet both their admission prices are $59.99 at the gate.

I think their hotels are a bit overpriced for what you get. Breakers gives you basically a $100 room for $200+ because you can walk into the park. Heck, I think the rack rate for the Wilderness Lodge at WDW during value season is currently $215. And that's a HELL of a lot nicer hotel than Breakers.

The concessions are also overpriced, but no more so than anywhere else.