TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone ridden all the RMCs yet?

I have now ridden 6, I will update after I get to the new-for-2016 RMC's:

1. Outlaw Run - HOLY BALLS, this coaster is perfect. I've never been on a coaster with better pacing, maybe i305? The coaster feels like it's traveling too fast the entire time, it's SOOO fast! Each element occurs in perfect succession. It's my #1 wood coaster now, even over El Toro!

2. Medusa Steel Coaster - Basically "Steel Outlaw Run" - It's got that same style of pacing! Personally, the first drop is pretty weak, I'd much prefer a straight drop. There is more than enough airtime to make up for that! #3 steel overall.

3. New Texas Giant - Too much airtime? How can I even say that?! This coaster's airtime just doesn't stop, it's fantastic! #2 steel!

4. Iron Rattler - Solid coaster, underrated for sure, the airtime is so strong! It's also the smoothest RMC I've ridden, fantastic ride, #4 steel!

5. Twisted Colossus - Amazing ride, best coaster in CA. So many moments of airtime! The blue sequence under the double down through the zero g is perfection. A little slow overall, especially after riding Outlaw Run. #6 steel!

6. Goliath - Very good coaster when you comTpare it to any other wood coaster! .. But as an RMC it isn't the strongest. It just doesn't do enough. The pacing is a little off - Maybe the elements are all too large? Maybe I'm not a huge fan of inversions? I don't know...

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now ridden 6, I will update after I get to the new-for-2016 RMC's:

1. Outlaw Run - HOLY BALLS, this coaster is perfect. I've never been on a coaster with better pacing, maybe i305? The coaster feels like it's traveling too fast the entire time, it's SOOO fast! Each element occurs in perfect succession. It's my #1 wood coaster now, even over El Toro!

2. Medusa Steel Coaster - Basically "Steel Outlaw Run" - It's got that same style of pacing! Personally, the first drop is pretty weak, I'd much prefer a straight drop. There is more than enough airtime to make up for that! #3 steel overall.

3. New Texas Giant - Too much airtime? How can I even say that?! This coaster's airtime just doesn't stop, it's fantastic! #2 steel!

4. Iron Rattler - Solid coaster, underrated for sure, the airtime is so strong! It's also the smoothest RMC I've ridden, fantastic ride, #4 steel!

5. Twisted Colossus - Amazing ride, best coaster in CA. So many moments of airtime! The blue sequence under the double down through the zero g is perfection. A little slow overall, especially after riding Outlaw Run. #6 steel!

6. Goliath - Very good coaster when you comTpare it to any other wood coaster! .. But as an RMC it isn't the strongest. It just doesn't do enough. The pacing is a little off - Maybe the elements are all too large? Maybe I'm not a huge fan of inversions? I don't know...

Having Goliath 15 minutes away at my home park, I found your comment about the elements being a bit too large intriguing, because I have often wondered what it could have been if they had not needed to secure the records of tallest, steepest, and fastest. That drop is huge, maybe too big, for the compact space the coaster is in. It is a great first drop, and still a great coaster that I enjoy immensely every time, but I just wonder if they could have squeezed more elements into it if the drop in particular was smaller. I love the zero G stall near the end though. Very unique element. I find the pacing fine. It never lets up.

As you said, it still beats most wooden coasters, and is the #1 or 2 ride in a good coaster collection at SFGAm. I hope to ride more RMCs some day to compare!

I've only ridden two RMC's so far but I look forward to riding all of them eventually, especially Medusa.

Goliath: Easily my favorite coaster at SFGAM. The height, speed, and interesting elements always have me laughing the whole time. I think I share everyone's normal complaint re: length though... that extra speed could have led to some great airtime hills if they had maybe down and back the structure one more time.

Twisted Colossus: Unfortunately I never got to experience a duel but the ride was great. I didn't mind the break in the middle of the ride on the 2nd lift like some seem to. For me this one felt a little too much like being on a "bucking bronco" when I rode in the back seat... like everything was constantly pulling me with no sustained segments of heavy g's. The sustained undulation had a weird effect on my enjoyment of the ride in comparison to Goliath and what I see from some of the other RMC designs.

• 3 months later...

Going into this year I had never ridden a RMC. This year I rode 4 of them.

1. Iron Rattler-Fantastic first drop, awesome , great inversion, stunning drop off the quarry and great speed throughout. #1 overall coaster.

2. Wicked Cyclone-Good first drop, crazy directional change+ very good with some fun inversions and a sence of speed. #4 steel coaster.

3. Storm Chaser-Cool first drop with insane first ejector hill, cool moments, fun inversion, but a little slow at the end. It is on par with the next coaster on the list. #12 steel coaster.

4. New Texas Giant- Great first drop, cool banked turns, solid , just pure fun. I couldn't decide if I liked it better than Storm Chaser. #14 steel coaster.

-honorary spot for Lightning Rod here-

1. New Texas Giant - This ride is amazing. Great pacing, relentless airtime, and so much fun. No other ride I've been on has this sheer amount of airtime.

2. Outlaw Run - This ride absolutely never lets up, and yet despite its length it feels complete. The elements on the ride seem like they'd feel so unnatural but in reality they feel totally natural. It's amazing. This ride and NTaG are very, very close but I tend to lean towards Outlaw Run being slightly underneath.

3. Iron Rattler - This is an amazing ride, but feels too short compared to the others. Setting and terrain interaction are awesome though.

Updated for now - Both Joker and Lightning Rod were closed on my visits... I'll have to get back out to them soon! Italicized the new additions.

1. Outlaw Run

2. Medusa Steel Coaster

3. Iron Rattler

4. New Texas Giant

5. Twisted Colossus

6. Wicked Cyclone

7. Storm Chaser

8. Goliath

I don't understand some of these rankings. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would definitely say:

1. Joker

2. Wicked Cyclone

3. Twisted Colossus

4. Goliath

I have plans to ride Storm Chaser this fall and Lightning Rod if I get the chance.

Only two so far, Goliath and Storm Chaser (sadly Lightning Rod was closed on our visit...)... Will be able to ride SNFE's in a few months.

Storm Chaser was considerably better than Goliath though. Goliath was my first RMC and I was pretty underwhelmed, but still a fun ride.

1) Medusa Steel Coaster

2) Outlaw Run

3) Twisted Colossus

4) Iron Rattler

5) Wicked Cyclone

6) Storm Chaser

7) Goliath

8) New Texas Giant

Keep in mind, all of these are in my top 20 out of over 1000!

Riding Joker next week, Lightning Rod in the Fall, and hopefully someday I'll make it back to Sweden!

I don't really understand why people rank Twisted Colossus differently if the ride is dueling or not... it doesn't change how the coaster rides, it just changes what you're looking at, it doesn't really alter the experience of the coaster imo. But anywho, to each's own... as far as the RMCs I've ridden I'd rank them as follows:

Outlaw Run

New Texas Giant

Iron Rattler

Twisted Colossus

Storm Chaser

Wicked Cyclone

Goliath

I've ridden three and I'd rank them as:

Wicked Cyclone

Outlaw Run

Twisted Colossus

I was really let down by Twisted Colossus. It had some good airtime moments, but nothing as good as Wicked Cyclone and I was never able to get a dueling ride.

I don't really understand why people rank Twisted Colossus differently if the ride is dueling or not... it doesn't change how the coaster rides, it just changes what you're looking at, it doesn't really alter the experience of the coaster imo. But anywho, to each's own... as far as the RMCs I've ridden I'd rank them as follows:

Outlaw Run

New Texas Giant

Iron Rattler

Twisted Colossus

Storm Chaser

Wicked Cyclone

Goliath

To me dueling does make it better. One side is a lot more fun to ride when another train is twisting around you and interacting with you. Plus it gives you something to do on the long mid ride lift hill lol

Totally understandable, that green lift takes foreverrrrr haha.

I don't really understand why people rank Twisted Colossus differently if the ride is dueling or not

Me either, you're still getting a plethora of airtime and crazy inversions regardless if you're dueling or not.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the visuals and interaction with the other train totally plays into my enjoyment of the Colossus. For the same reason I'd rank Ninja a lot differently if it sat in an open flat field, or if Space Mountain was a "lights on" coaster. And it's the same reason that even if Scream were a GREAT floorless, it would still rank lower due to it's location.

Twisted Colossus is a world class ride either way, but I rank as much as four spots higher if it's racing.

Only ones I'm missing are Joker, Storm Chaser, and Wildfire, all of which I'll get to in the next year. Always playing catch-up with those pesky new rides.

8) Goliath - It's ok, smooth, and has the best stall of the ones I've ridden. Not much else to say though.

7) Outlaw Run - I liked a lot of what this ride did, but I found it pretty rough in spots (not laterally, just hard positive-G bounces that are the kind of thing that give me headaches in my advanced age). The sideways hill headed down into the valley is killer. Don't care for the barrel rolls which really weaken the ending.

6) New Texas Giant - This was the first one I rode and I was a little underwhelmed. What it does is very good, but it's a little bit too "perfect" for me - lacks a little personality, if you will. But a solid ride and very long, which I appreciate.

5) Twisted Colossus - My first time was dueling and it definitely made the ride more "fun". I've ridden it probably a dozen times since and never even come close to a duel. I really like the sections along the "back" half of the ride, on both sides. But if it's not going to duel, then the second lift is really a buzzkill, and pacing is pretty important to me.

4) Wicked Cyclone - Great ride, really like everything about it until the very end when it kinda crapped out (at least on the one day I went - I know it's temperamental). The wrong-way-banked turn about halfway through the ride is sick. A lot of times those are just annoying to me but that one in particular gets me.

3) Medusa Steel Coaster - Really intense and fast, and a gorgeous setting. Someone mentioned that it was on "fast forward" and I totally agree. Personally, I like my rides to have a little ebb and flow to the intensity rather than just being balls-out, so that probably keeps the ranking down a bit for me. The heartline first drop didn't do much for me and I would prefer a good, steep, ejector first drop instead. And the third inversion barrel roll was ok (while better than Outlaw Run's, probably because it's downhill instead of uphill) but I would have preferred another drop to the ground like the original Medusa. But overall an excellent ride.

2) Lightning Rod - BY FAR the most intense RMC I've ridden. As I said for Medusa, I prefer some breather moments in pacing, so that keeps me from putting this at #1. It's also not as rerideable. But this is seriously one of the best rides in the world, especially if you like them all-out intense.

1) Iron Rattler - Perhaps unpopular opinion, but this one has what I'm looking for today - intense yet comfortable, and something I could ride all day long. I strongly prefer the open-sided Gerstlauer trains on this to the enclosed RMC trains. I'm pretty tall so the leg restraints don't bother me as much, and I love feeling like I'm not sitting in a box. The setting is exceptional, the ride is smooth as glass and I could ride it all day. And it's just DIFFERENT - I thought I would hate the slower section at the top of the cliff, but it turned out to be really fun and a great buildup to that killer plunge back down to the ground. I do wish it kept the old helix at the end and went on just a bit longer, but honestly, this is the ride that I dream about when I wish I was on an RMC. Riding it makes me really happy.

1. Lightning Rod

2. Outlaw Run (very, very close second)

3. Goliath

4. Storm Chaser

It's hard for me to rank Storm Chaser with the other three since it's the only Iron Horse of the bunch. And on top of that, it's so different from the other three in its layout, size, elements, etc.

^ that's why I always laugh when people say "if you've ridden one RMC, you ridden them all". Not even close

that's totally BS. In fact I'd almost say that even Intamin is more predictable in terms of "watch the POV and you know how the ride is" than RMC.