TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone ridden all the RMCs yet?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^welcome to the club

It'll change early next month when I head up to SFNE!

I was sick of being left out and finally made the trip yesterday, now I just need to ride more of them to compare for myself.

I was sick of being left out and finally made the trip yesterday, now I just need to ride more of them to compare for myself.

Ditto on riding more. Our department at work is split with an office in San Antonio, so I'm working on selling a work-related trip to my boss so I can get to at least SFFT for I-Rat, if not also SFOT for NTAG.

I too, have sadly not been on any RMCs yet...

I'm hoping to go to SFGAm next month for my Birthday, but that's not a sure thing (and it sounds like Goliath is the bottom of the RMC totem pole to boot.)

Next year's family vacation is already set, however, and it will be to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. So, I should get an RMC credit then, assuming the rumors about their new coaster prove true!

I've only ridden Twisted Colossus so far, but I absolutely love it and it's my new #1 coaster. There is just so much airtime on TC, it's crazy how much you are out of your seat. It's fast and super smooth, plus the Top Gun stall is one of my favorite coaster elements ever. The ride gets even better when you duel another train, but unfortunately the dueling is really hit or miss. RMC really nailed it with TC and now I want to check out all of their other creations.

Edited by VegasBaby

Of the three I have been on they rank as follows:

1 - Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City

2 - New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas

x - Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

I think Outlaw Run and New Texas Giant are both amazing coasters! Yes New Texas Giant is longer, but the setting, and the theming of Outlaw Run is what makes it take the number one spot! Not to mention the double barrel roll at the end is amazing!!!

Iron Rattler was just *meh* to me. I may be the only person on the planet who does not "LOVE" this coaster. Iron Rattler does not even make it onto my top 20 list. To me it just lacked the wow factor that New Texas Giant, and Outlaw Run have.

I'm hoping to go to SFGAm next month for my Birthday, but that's not a sure thing (and it sounds like Goliath is the bottom of the RMC totem pole to boot.)

A sad thing about SFGAm is that they have most if not all of the best genres of coasters, but like you said they are near or at the bottom of the totem pole when comparing them to others of that genre.

RMC, yeah

B&M Hyper, yeah

B&M Invert, yeah

Wing, yeah

Intamin Launch, yeah

B&M flyer, yeah but it is always better than vekoma!

Sad, but also happy because those are all great rides that the park has, just not as great as others. I will make a trip there later this month and ride my first RMC Goliath. Can't really judge for certain this way but Medusa looks the best to me.

I've been on Outlaw Run and Goliath. Goliath had a better drop (from the back row, at least) and the zero-G stall was amazing, but it does not come close to touching the awesomeness that is Outlaw Run (my favorite coaster). The terrain, the layout, the airtime, sideways airtime, barrel rolls, everything is just so awesome.

^^^The problem with SFGAm is the overuse of clones. It is certainly a park that fares much better at quantity than quality. However, I do think that Dorney better fits that description.

At Dorney they have:

Talon (one of the least forceful inverts, aside from the awesome ending)

Hydra (closed on my visit, but I have heard that it is pretty forceless)

Steel Force (my least favorite hyper)

Thunderhawk (would actually be pretty damn good if it was not trimmed to death)

And of course, two inverted shuttle coasters.

At least SFGAm has an RMC. Every RMC falls into the A range on coasters, just Goliath is maybe an "A-" ride instead of an "A++++" like all the other RMC's. I would MUCH rather have seen them convert one of their two existing wood coasters than build a lower-rate new one just for the marketing ploy of having the tallest wood coaster. Of one of their existing wood coasters loses ridership, would it be out of the question to see them purchase another RMC? (Keep in mind that B&M makes basically the same ride over and over again with different ways of riding it, and many parks still buy more than one of their rides)

Had the pleasure today of riding Twisted Colossus, which was the last I needed to ride (though I can't wait to have more to get again. Ever since I saw the pictures of New Texas Goant I've been drawn to them for their crazy elements and interesting construction.

As Robb said, any of them are better than the vast majority of coasters out there- I don't keep rankings too much but more have a list of "favorite rides" and almost all the RMCs are on it. For ranking them, I personally like:

1. Medusa

1. Wicked Cyclone

2. Twisted Colossus

3. Iron Rattler

4. Outlaw Run

5. New Texas Giant

6. Goliath

I like Medusa's and Cyclone's absolutely crazy air mixed with inversions. Both exceeded my expectations, especially Medusa which I rode first and didn't "look" to me to be as good as it was before riding it. I also have a soft spot for coasters I think of as "less intense just fun" (I love Dorney's Talon for example) which Twisted Colossus and Iron Rattler fall in to. I love Rattlers setting , first drop and inversion, but Colossus's airtime makes me like it a bit more. Outlaw Run is fantastic, the overbank and wave turn are great fun as is the path through the forest. Giant is fun but I love RMC's crazy inversions (and I'm biased against SFOT for lackluster days there/hard to get rides on Giant). Goliath was fun and very pretty but felt a bit short, and was even more of a hassle to get rides on than Giant.

Ultimately, I love that all of them are very unique rides and each has something different to offer or that it does better than the others. You really can't go wrong riding any of them, and can't wait to see what new craziness comes next year!

^ I have been on all except Outlaw Run (the one I want the most).

I really don't rank coasters anymore either, but for the sake of this thread I think I know how the RMCs would shake out (although I end up changing the order almost daily).

Right now I think I like:

Medusa

Wicked Cyclone

New Texas Giant

Twisted Colossus

Iron Rattler

Goliath

All of them are among my favorites, so just because Goliath is last, doesn't mean it's not an AWESOME ride.

Looks like at least one person has them all; congrats!

I've ridden four of them. I know there's not a huge distinction between wood and steel when it comes to RMC, but ranking them separately is just how I do things.

Steel

1. Iron Rattler: it features loads of airtime, an interesting layout and setting, a consistent ride experience, a perfect inversion, and it maintains its speed pretty well. It's short, but feels complete rather than cut-off.

2. New Texas Giant: I rank this immediately below iRat, and at times it's close to interchangeable. It has plenty of forceful airtime, sometimes calling to mind El Toro, but it's been more inconsistent for me than iRat. Often, it's noticeably sluggish through the final hills. It feels a touch less memorable even though I've ridden it a fair number of times.

Wood

1. Outlaw Run: of course, everything has already been said. It really tries to throw you off the train. The unbeatable setting also helps make it an easy winner.

2. Goliath: I rank this well below Outlaw Run, barely in my top third of woodies. It was the most fun on my first ride due to an unexpected twist near the end, and there's some interesting hangtime, but the first drop and much of the rest of the ride was underwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now ridden 4 RMC coasters. All I can say is that they are all amazing, none are weak, none are bland, these are just my personal preferences, they are all EXCELLENT!

1. Outlaw Run - HOLY BALLS, this coaster is perfect. I've never been on a coaster with better pacing, maybe i305? The coaster feels like it's traveling too fast the entire time, it's SOOO fast! Each element occurs in perfect succession. It's my #1 wood coaster now, even over El Toro!

2. New Texas Giant - Too much airtime? How can I even say that?! This coaster's airtime just doesn't stop, it's fantastic! #2 steel!

3. Iron Rattler - Solid coaster, underrated for sure, the airtime is so strong! It's also the smoothest RMC I've ridden, fantastic ride, #4 steel!

4. Twisted Colossus - Amazing ride, best coaster in CA. So many moments of airtime! The blue sequence under the double down through the zero g is perfection. A little slow overall, especially after riding Outlaw Run. #6 steel!

I've ridden four out of the seven currently operating RMCs, and would rank them as follows:

1. Outlaw Run

2. New Texas Giant

3. Iron Rattler

4. Twisted Colossus

My reasoning for these rankings are along the same lines as chickenbowl's. All of these Rocky Mointain coasters are amazing, and I can not wait to see what this company has to offer next!

I have 3 so far and they are:

1) Wicked Cyclone

2) Twisted Colossus

3) Goliath

Looking to add Medusa this November as well during a trip to Mexico City.

WC and TC are really tied in the "upper echelon" of coasters I've ridden (see signature), but I end to give Wicked Cyclone the sliiiiiight edge for its relentless pacing, and because it operates as the designers intended, whereas the full experience of Twisted Colossus can be hampered by guest's inability to quickly load/unload when the ride ops are trying to get the trains to duel.

Goliath on the other hand, while a great wooden coaster, isn't in that upper echelon for me. The whole experience felt very tame and restrained when I rode it last year. Almost like a muted form of what it should be.

Hoping to add 2-3 more come 2016 (KK, Dollywood (?!), and Outlaw Run)!

I've ridden four RMC coasters, all of which are absolutely incredible and stand in my top ten (out of 316).

Speaking strictly in regards to enjoyment on the rides, Outlaw Run, New Texas Giant, and Iron Rattler would all be equal. Outlaw Run is certainly the most intense for me, New Texas Giant is the most balanced, and Iron Rattler is the most comfortable and "just pure fun". Nevertheless, if I had to rank each one, this is the order in which I would do so:

1. Outlaw Run

2. New Texas Giant

3. Iron Rattler

4. Twisted Colossus

I'll take my first ride on Goliath (SFGAm) next month, so I'll update the list once that happens.

• 7 months later...