TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big Surprises on Coasters

-El Toro's RT crossover hill. The first time I rode it in 2006 it was incredibly shocking even after reading early reviews from media day. What an awesome, jarring "explosion" of airtime I like to call it. It is also the only part of the ride that ai feel is best experienced in the front row.

-Skyrush's first drop in the back row. Again, like Toro, I rode it only a week after media day, so it was unexpected. Going down the drop initially felt, "Yep, this is standard awesome Intamin ejector!" Then, BAM!!! It feels like the train hit the Nos button, and you get one of the craziest "ripping" sensation of any airtime moment I've ever had.

Superman: The Ride's 3rd camelback. My favorite single airtime hill in the world. Almost as strong as El Toro's RT hill, but much more sustained. Amazingly fun, somewhat jarring hill.

-Intamin strata launches. Even after dozens of rides on TTD and KK over the years, those launches still get me every single time.

-Wicked Cyclone's double reverse banked hill. It is one of the best lat/airtime combos in the world. Ejector airtime mixed with severe side-to-side lats.

-Raptor's snap into the brakerun. This was not a pleasant surprise.

-Alpengeist's cobra roll. The most snappy of any B&M inversion I've ever experienced.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hades - I wasn't expecting the track in the tunnel to be so violent. I hadn't thought about it critically, but I guess I assumed it was just a flat stretch of track from one end of the lot to the other. When there actually were mini hills and 90 degree turns I was quite surprised.

Thunderation - No particular element comes to mind, but I was shocked how fast we were going by the time we got to the bottom of the hill.

Voyage - Triple down in the tunnel

Mummy (Orlando) - Violent airtime on the first hill, and the surprise drop into "hell" at the end.

I'm shocked no one mentioned The Voyage at Holiday World until today. The triple down in the tunnel mid way through the coaster took me by several surprises. That's the first time I can remember myself not being prepared for a coaster element.

The second time was the Rolling Thunder hill on El Toro.

- Helix's pullout from the zero-g-roll (before the helix which turns into the second launch)

- Tornado's (Bakken) lift/launch !!!

- Expedition GeForce's first drop in the last row (I had read praises about it but I guess one can't really prepare for it)

- Juvelen's second launch (way more powerful than I thought)

- Junker's final zero-g-roll

Honestly after not being much for coasters until the 2015 season, Phoenix surprised me. After reading what coasters are /must/ rides in my area, and finally deciding to make the trip out to what I thought would be a podunk park. I was absolutely blown away. On paper Phoenix isn't impressive, but in practice, sweet airtime bliss.

Knoebels really surprised me in general. The first time I went the group I went with planned on spending 2 hours or so there, riding all their coasters, then heading down to Hershey for the rest of the day. We wound up spending 8 hours at Knoebels and it still wasn't enough time.

Volcano's launches... There are so many factors that make these launches blow me away every time I ride it (like the forcefulness, the noise, and the foot chopper effects)

Pretty much everything about Skyrush.

Mavericks launch.

El Toro's Rolling Thunder Hill.

La Vibora at Six Flags Over Texas. That was way more insane than I thought it was going to be!

Thunderhawk's last hills (with trims off) gave me some pretty good air (especially with buzz bars)

Oh and this bit (under the airtime hill) on Cú Chulainn at Tayto Park provided and unexpected "jerk" to the right with some air in the middle. Pretty fun

1764128929_2015-09-0513_16_21.thumb.jpg.bc3a490dd3a6a3c131f3b6ee4310efc8.jpg

I must say the first helix up on Backlot Stunt coaster at Kings Island was a huge surprise. I was not expecting much from this coaster, yet every time we rode it those helices made us grey out.

I actually agree with this 100%. I really like these little coasters.

There have been a lot of good mentions here - X2's first drop, final Raven hill, all of Skyrush.

But this one still gets me everytime. Best head chopper ever.

[attachment=0]ninja.jpg[/attachment]

What cpaster is that?

My guess is ... Ninja.

There have been a lot of good mentions here - X2's first drop, final Raven hill

These are good ones as well. Those are 2 of the most surprising moments on any coaster anywhere... I'm always incredibly surprised that a coaster is capable of sucking on such an unimaginable level.

By the way, speaking of headchoppers I think my favorite is either Fury's helix or the bottom of Gemeni's first drop.

There have been a lot of good mentions here - X2's first drop, final Raven hill

These are good ones as well. Those are 2 of the most surprising moments on any coaster anywhere... I'm always incredibly surprised that a coaster is capable of sucking on such an unimaginable level.

By the way, speaking of headchoppers I think my favorite is either Fury's helix or the bottom of Gemeni's first drop.

+1 for Fury's helix. That support is scary close. I know it's outside the ride envelope, but I tucked my hands in every time at that point.

Some big surprises on coasters that I found are the amount of forces produced on The Bat at Canada's Wonderland while going through the loop backwards, the amount of airtime and smoothness that was produced on SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland, the close head chopper section on Thunderhawk at Dorney Park, and the forces produced on Vortex at Kings Island while going around the tight turn just after the two vertical loops.

The speed and g-forces on Kings Island's Flight Deck (The Bat).

Cedar Point's Wicked Twister front seat. I didn't expect it to twist so quickly up the spike after the second launch!

The first launch on Thunderbird at HW.

The third drop in Voyage's triple-down almost always gets me.

Everything about Lightning Run and Maverick.

Great Bear-The helix right off the lift has some pretty strong G-forces which was a nice surprise.

Thunderbird-The Launch was much more forceful than I anticipated and the Zero-G had some great forces as well on the left side of the train.

Voyage-While I never got to experience the ride with the MCBR being used lightly, I was still surprised by how much the ride hauled ass through the rest of the course. The ride is much better at night!

Fahrenheit-This whole ride was a big surprise for how much fun it was but the last bunny hill at the end had a great pop of airtime which I wasn't expecting.

I'm just patiently waiting for the Skull Mountain first drop love fest to start...

Has anyone mentioned the little airtime hill at the end of Fahrenheit? That got me. No airtime the entire ride and then BOOM! Also the corkscrew at the very end of Jokers Jinx - the train takes it very fast and forcefully. One of my favorite corkscrews on any coaster.

Also the corkscrew at the very end of Jokers Jinx - the train takes it very fast and forcefully. One of my favorite corkscrews on any coaster.

I haven't ridden Jokers Jinx but I've been on Flight of Fear @ KD, that last corkscrew is taken in complete darkness, really caught me off guard the first time. Heck, the first half of the ride had me questioning which way was up.