TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big Surprises on Coasters

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been mentioned already, but I didn't know anything about El Toro when I rode it in 2012 (I'd been out of the hobby for a few years). The Rolling Thunder hill was ridiculous. Still haven't been that surprised on a ride.

I agree with the mid course sideways air time (w/ejector) on SDC's Outlaw Run. Also on Outlaw run is the final inversion where it seems to me that there is always going to be a stall.

True on both. The Sideways airtime hill makes me feel like a ping-pong ball bouncing around in my seat. The hang time on the final inversion on Outlaw Run is amazing!!!

The final brake run on Screamin' Eagle at SF StLouis... Great ride, but I think people scream more at the sudden stop than anywhere else on the coaster! V2's vertical brake at Great America has a similar feeling, but more expected and less painful.

I love trick track elements, so the trick track on Wicked Cyclone (unless they gave the element a new name)

I second this. It was truly unexpected and yanked me in a lateral airtime way. Also Wicked Cyclone's stall was very interesting

I can think of a few off the top of my head....the double down on the Jackrabbit was quite unexpected, and the first time my friend and I rode it a few years ago she ended up bashing her elbow into the side of the seat. So it was a most unpleasant surprise for her, at least on that trip. I just didn't think an older, smaller coaster like that could pack such a negative g punch.

And the RT hill on El Toro - that was also unexpected, and also to a degree the whole coaster, as I had never ridden an Intamin woodie before.

The drop on Verbolten would have shocked me had I been GP and had no idea of it before I rode it, and also the 2nd launch on Volcano had I not been aware of it before hand, as only the initial launch is apparent from the line.

And then there's Skyrush - to me the whole coaster was a huge surprise, even though I had fair warning as to its nature before I ever set foot on it. Despite what I had heard, I had a hard time believing a middling, simple looking 200ft hyper could deliver such an intense ride complete with killer negative g's.

Finally, there are the negative surprises. First was Drachen Fire - despite the fact that it was the only coaster in the park that day that was a near-walk-on (especially when the BBW and Nessie had waits almost an hour long; not sure about the old wild mouse, but it wasn't a walk-on) I still eagerly got in line. As I got up to the gate, a little voice in the back of my head wondered why this impressive looking coaster had no line, but I got on anyway. And boy was my neck wrenched in a really painful way - such was the surprise that was only a surprise to me and practically no one else in the park that day. SOB was a similar situation, but at least with that one I had heard it was pretty rough before I rode it so I knew not to expect a glass-smooth ride. I just didn't think it would be THAT rough....

And then there's Ninja at SFMM. The first time I rode it I failed to notice (or just could not see) the full lay out of the ride, and so once the train hit the 2nd chain lift I was gearing up for another drop, and then to my total dismay what appeared before me was the brake run into the station. So yeah, a big surprise, and a lame one at that. The only other Arrow suspended I had ridden before was the BBW, so that added to my disappointment.

Colorado Adventure at Phantasialand took me completely by surprise. It was never a ride that stood out in my imagination as particularly exciting, but when actually riding it there's a surprising number and variety of forces throughout depending on what seat you're in.

Let's see, recent surprises...Mean Streak. It -didn't- try to kill me.

Has CP done something with that coaster this year? For years, all I've heard was how terrible, rough, painful, etc it is. So, I finally get to the park and get on the coaster, dreading it but not about to pass up the credit...and it wasn't anything I'd consider even remotely rough for a coaster of its size. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything good said about it, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also Firehawk at KI. I really didn't expect a coaster type that seems to be generally regarded as something of a failed experiment compared to the B&M flyers to be so good. Much more out of control and just plain fun than the B&M models!

Has CP done something with that coaster this year? For years, all I've heard was how terrible, rough, painful, etc it is. So, I finally get to the park and get on the coaster, dreading it but not about to pass up the credit...and it wasn't anything I'd consider even remotely rough for a coaster of its size.

Nope, if you ride Mean Streak in the front row of any car it's not rough and it's never been rough (IMHO). You may need to lean forward and keep off the seat back a bit but it's much smoother than Blue Streak (and Blue Streak isn't rough). I think most of the complaining about Mean Streak is that it's a huge ride in a high profile park.

That being said if you ride in the back row of any car or if you don't lean forward at all the ride can be really rough, but I still think there are plenty of other coasters out there that are just as rough.

Mean Streak still has a really dull layout though, and RMC could do wonders for this ride. But in the meantime I'll enjoy it for what it is... a leisurely ride that doesn't do anything through a beautiful ride structure next to a beautiful lake. It's not so bad.

Let's see, recent surprises...Mean Streak. It -didn't- try to kill me.

Has CP done something with that coaster this year? For years, all I've heard was how terrible, rough, painful, etc it is. So, I finally get to the park and get on the coaster, dreading it but not about to pass up the credit...and it wasn't anything I'd consider even remotely rough for a coaster of its size. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything good said about it, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also Firehawk at KI. I really didn't expect a coaster type that seems to be generally regarded as something of a failed experiment compared to the B&M flyers to be so good. Much more out of control and just plain fun than the B&M models!

I didm't find Mean Streak unbearable by any means. I've been on rides that made me worry about the status of my manhood, like Psyclone and the late Gwazi, and this wasn't one of them. It was, however, rough enough to prevent truly enjoying the ride. The ride seems predicated on drops that for a wooden coaster seem massive, even in this day and age, and the bottom of each drop was just rough enough that I felt like it took away the joy of falling that far. I was also dealing with some back pain while I was at CP, so this didn't help, but I found that Mean Streak didn't deliver 1/2 as rough a ride as I had heard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...