TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Total Coaster Noob, need advice

Hello everyone. I am very to new Roller Coasters and the idea thrills me. I love the thought of zipping through twists and turns at high speed. But I don't know very much about these beautiful creations, and don't really know where to go from where I am. The problem is my stomach. Neither of my parents can stomach coasters, (They barfed on SPACE MOUNTAIN at Disneyland ) and so as a young child I never really got to go on any Coasters. That said, I've had more freedom as the years have gone on and been able to go on some rides my parents couldn't. A lot of my friends who love coasters have been going on them for a long time, one went on Xcelerator at Knott's when he was 7. I have not built up that tolerance. So is it too late? Am I stuck where I am? Or can I expand my horizons and live the dream of extreme thrills? Here's some info:

I've been on Ghost Rider, Coast Rider, and the Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's. Loved GR, Sidewinder made me a bit nervous. I've been on the Matterhorn and Space Mountain at Disneyland, and that one Cars Ride (Crap! What's it called?) at California Adventure. At Universal Studios Hollywood I've been on the Mummy (LOVED IT) and the Jurassic Park water ride. I'm planning another trip to Knott's soon, and don't know what to do. I'm considering the Silver Bullet but I've never been upside down before on a coaster. I may sound like a complete fool on this thread but remember that I'm a complete noob seeking advice from experts. Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never too late to try out coasters, including the bigger ones!

I'd push aside any doubts you might have and go ahead on giving Silver Bullet a try. I personally haven't been on it, but I've heard from many reviews that it is actually one of the slightly tamer versions of a Bolliger & Mabillard inverted coaster. Compared to many of the coasters you listed, I think it's also much smoother. And if you can ride Sierra Sidewinder and not barf, I'm sure you could easily stomach Silver Bullet.

If you still want to ease into riding a coaster that goes upside-down, maybe give Montezuma's Revenge a try since it has only one loop (though taken twice in both directions). Hope you get to trying bigger and badder rides eventually! Good luck!

It's never too late to try out coasters, including the bigger ones!

I'd push aside any doubts you might have and go ahead on giving Silver Bullet a try.

If you still want to ease into riding a coaster that goes upside-down, maybe give Montezuma's Revenge a try since it has only one loop (though taken twice in both directions). Hope you get to trying bigger and badder rides eventually! Good luck!

Thanks so much for your helpful input! I always thought Montezooma was more difficult than Silver Bullet from what I've heard, but I think I'll give both a shot!

So is it too late?

It is never too late for almost anything. Except sleeping with individuals who fall under the age of consent. That you might get away with as long as you too are under it, but after that you go to prison and get put on a national registry. Seriously though, never become the person who thinks you can't grow or change. Those are the worst people. The. Worst.

So is it too late?

It is never too late for almost anything. Except sleeping with individuals who fall under the age of consent. That you might get away with as long as you too are under it, but after that you go to prison and get put on a national registry. Seriously though, never become the person who thinks you can't grow or change. Those are the worst people. The. Worst.

Thank you! I think I'm going to try EVERYTHING I SEE AT KNOTT'S! It was very helpful to get advice from Coaster veterans like you!

It is never too late for almost anything. Except sleeping with individuals who fall under the age of consent. That you might get away with as long as you too are under it, but after that you go to prison and get put on a national registry.

I love every one of your posts.

Two years ago I was absolutely terrified of coasters and couldn't imagine ever going on something like a drop ride. Just looking up at a lift hill would induce a strong vertigo and literally make my knees shake.

But I finally got over that to find I really, really like them. Now I've been on 138 different coasters in 25 different parks in ten different states, and ride anything without any much apprehension.

Trying new things keeps life fun. It sounds like you wouldn't really have any problem conquering any coaster- Excelerator, Montezooma, and Silver Bullet included. Go for it and enjoy that excited nervousness.

Dude, if you enjoyed Ghost Rider, then you can handle any of the roller coasters at Knott's. Take a ride (preferably front row) on Silver Bullet...you'll love it. It's very smooth and very gentle. Many coaster enthusiasts regard it as too smooth, saying that it's boring. I think it's fun, but it's definitely nowhere near intense. Xcelerator is also very smooth, albeit much more intense than Silver Bullet. Still, like I said before, if you could handle Ghost Rider (a coaster that I, a seasoned veteran, avoid), you can handle anything at that park. Just ride what you feel comfortable riding, and have a blast!

Hello everyone. I am very to new Roller Coasters and the idea thrills me. I love the thought of zipping through twists and turns at high speed. But I don't know very much about these beautiful creations, and don't really know where to go from where I am. The problem is my stomach. Neither of my parents can stomach coasters, (They barfed on SPACE MOUNTAIN at Disneyland ) and so as a young child I never really got to go on any Coasters. That said, I've had more freedom as the years have gone on and been able to go on some rides my parents couldn't. A lot of my friends who love coasters have been going on them for a long time, one went on Xcelerator at Knott's when he was 7. I have not built up that tolerance. So is it too late? Am I stuck where I am? Or can I expand my horizons and live the dream of extreme thrills? Here's some info:

I've been on Ghost Rider, Coast Rider, and the Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's. Loved GR, Sidewinder made me a bit nervous. I've been on the Matterhorn and Space Mountain at Disneyland, and that one Cars Ride (Crap! What's it called?) at California Adventure. At Universal Studios Hollywood I've been on the Mummy (LOVED IT) and the Jurassic Park water ride. I'm planning another trip to Knott's soon, and don't know what to do. I'm considering the Silver Bullet but I've never been upside down before on a coaster. I may sound like a complete fool on this thread but remember that I'm a complete noob seeking advice from experts. Thanks!

When you refer to your stomach, is it your nerves, or because you get nauseous due to motion sickness?

If it is your nerves; you will become more comfortable the more you ride, and if you ride different types. Eventually you will loose almost all your fears.

When you refer to your stomach, is it your nerves, or because you get nauseous due to motion sickness?

If it is your nerves; you will become more comfortable the more you ride, and if you ride different types. Eventually you will loose almost all your fears.

Maybe he was talking about that feeling you get in your stomach while you have airtime.