TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "perfect" roller coaster

If I could make the perfect roller coaster, I would take the first half of Maverick from Lift(launch)hill to the tunnel brake run, but when it entered the launch tunnel it would become Revenge of the Mummy from Universal Studios Orlando, then where Revenge of the Mummy does the final drop into the "fire pit" the coaster would do a similar drop, into Top Thrill Dragsters launch, and top hat. . . And then into the brake run.

Also, it would some how keep the heavy Mummy theme like Revenge Of The Mummy.

I mean... if you going to dream, go big or go home right?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Maverick is very close to being considered a "perfect" roller coaster. It's one major flaw was fixed this year (the restraints), and the only other one I can think of is the immediate brakes after the launch, but it's still an amazing roller coaster with everything: extreme airtime, super-steep drop, "twisties", inversions, a launch, and a smooth ride.

In my opinion, Maverick is very close to being considered a "perfect" roller coaster. It's one major flaw was fixed this year (the restraints), and the only other one I can think of is the immediate brakes after the launch, but it's still an amazing roller coaster with everything: extreme airtime, super-steep drop, "twisties", inversions, a launch, and a smooth ride.

Very true! Maverick is one of my all time favorite coasters!! I can't wait to get out there next month and try it with the new restraints!!!

Probably mentioned already, but I could create an amazing coaster with elements that everybody will like, but it would not be feasible in real life. With an unlimited budget though, I could create something with all of Intamin's features, and the comfort of B&M (for the most part).

The only improvement I could think of for Maverick would be adding more ejector airtime hills. Maybe make the launch accelerate quicker. As you said, the restraints were fixed. Other than that, Maverick is perfect.

Maverick is a great ride, but something about the layout seems off to me. The layout doesn't seem to flow very well IMO, and the elements are quite choppy. But the ride altogether is awesome....

As for me, though, Outlaw Run is the perfect coaster. Amazing first drop, plenty of airtime, great flow, insane inversions, and an awesome terrain setting.

Maverick is a great ride, but something about the layout seems off to me. The layout doesn't seem to flow very well IMO, and the elements are quite choppy. But the ride altogether is awesome....

As for me, though, Outlaw Run is the perfect coaster. Amazing first drop, plenty of airtime, great flow, insane inversions, and an awesome terrain setting.

1.) Not sure how Maverick doesn't flow very well.

2.) Outlaw Run is ALMOST the perfect coaster. It is just so freaking short. I mean, a roller coaster that is 35 seconds from the top of the lift to the brake run is really short. But it is an amazing 35 seconds!!!

My vision is a remix of i305, el toro, sky rush, and Bizarro. Start with i305's layout, but make the lift as fast as skyrush and have the drop go into a tunnel with crazy LED lights. Keep the i305 layout the same through the twisties. On the return turn before the airtime hill have that dip down into another misty LED tunnel. Then remove the trim before the airtime hill and have the ride go into 2-3 large forceful airtime hills like El Toro. Then turn back using a stengel dive into a low lying helix. Exit the helix with a s-curve airtime hill, down into a misty tunnel. Maybe add another twisty bit and air hill, and then hit the brakes. This would essentially combine my favorite bits from i305, El Toro, Skyrush, and Bizarro. It would also probably cost $40 million.

I have yet to ride Maverick, but I am finally going to Cedar Point in August, so this might all change then!

I think a coaster that combined Mavericks elements with something like Bizarro, Expedition Geforce, or any other Intamin Mega with height and speed would be pretty great... It'd probably end up costing about as much as Steel Dragon 2000 so it probably wont ever happen, but a man can dream.

• 1 month later...

A terrain-based Intamin Blitz with a beyond-vertical drop like Maverick off a cliff. It then goes through a Dive Loop, going into a tunnel where it emerges and goes through a Zero-G Roll. Then there are some banked turns and a corkscrew follows the banked turns. A smaller zero-g roll follows after a left turn. Then it hits the brake run.

If you were a coaster engineer, what would you do?

I was thinking something along the lines of an RMC giga with a 90mph top gun stall, super twisty overbank madness, quadruple-downs, triple-downs, double-downs, and single-downs in the first half (and a good 3 minutes on that half), then hit the MCBR and go into another 180ft lift hill that leads into an inversion-packed spaghetti bowl with plenty of powerful and forceful positive (and negative) g's. The ride would be located on a giant lake next to a forest that's on a cliff, and the ride would have multiple drops off of the cliff, a ton of headchoppers on the trees, and a splashdown or two in the lake. It would last around 6-7 minutes with no trims. (Now I want to make this in TPS, lol)

I'm pondering if that would kill you or not

If you were a coaster engineer, what would you do?

I was thinking something along the lines of an RMC giga with a 90mph top gun stall, super twisty overbank madness, quadruple-downs, triple-downs, double-downs, and single-downs in the first half (and a good 3 minutes on that half), then hit the MCBR and go into another 180ft lift hill that leads into an inversion-packed spaghetti bowl with plenty of powerful and forceful positive (and negative) g's. The ride would be located on a giant lake next to a forest that's on a cliff, and the ride would have multiple drops off of the cliff, a ton of headchoppers on the trees, and a splashdown or two in the lake. It would last around 6-7 minutes with no trims. (Now I want to make this in TPS, lol)

I'm pondering if that would kill you or not

Probably. But it'd totally be worth it

Maverick is pretty darn perfect to me! I have to admit there are very few coasters that excite me regardless of how many times I ride it, and Maverick delivers time after time! The most "perfect" experience I've had on a coaster was my first night ride on Millennium Force. There's just something about cresting the first airtime hill on a warm summer night and soaring above the neon lights of the surround attractions.

^I didn't find it all that "mind blowing!" It was a great ride, but not particularly my idea of a "perfect coaster." As a "perfect" coaster, in my opinion, needs something to set it high-above the others. i305 doesn't have any of that. It has intensity. But I find Mantis just as intense, albeit not as smooth.

My image of a "perfect" roller coaster would be something that isn't balls-to-the-wall insane but a super thrilling ride that the most amount of people can enjoy (i.e. little kids, teens, adults, and even some older generations who can't handle "insane"). Many aspects of Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa comes to mind. Long, twisting, does at least one inversion, has airtime, has launches, great theming, extremely re-rideable, etc. Though something just a little more intense would be better suited as a perfect coaster, something vaguely similar to how Cheetah Hunt performs would be my image.

Now for MY version of an intense perfect roller coaster, I'm not sure what it's complete layout would be but it would have to include the following: A launch, a high-speed low to the ground double barrel roll section similar to the

, a tunnel or two, a mixture of ejector and floater airtime hills, and the ride comes flying into the brake run.

up-scale a mega-lite layout into a gigacoaster

Why hasn't this been done yet ? Or more importantly, why are there still no Intamin mega lites in the U.S.?!

EDIT: I realize the answer to my first question is when you have a giga coaster with a lot of airtime hills you get an immensely expensive 8,000ft plus coaster called Steel Dragon 2000

up-scale a mega-lite layout into a gigacoaster

Why hasn't this been done yet ? Or more importantly, why are there still no Intamin mega lites in the U.S.?!

EDIT: I realize the answer to my first question is when you have a giga coaster with a lot of airtime hills you get an immensely expensive 8,000ft plus coaster called Steel Dragon 2000

Skyrush I guess

I'm hoping for an Intamin Mega-Lite at Six Flags Fiesta Texas someday. Not that I'll ever be back, but it would be a good fit.

• 1 year later...

My idea of a perfect coaster is an Intamin mega that is as high as TTD/KK and about 90 mph but has the fast transitions like I305 or Maverick mixed in with plenty of ejector air hills like Magnum. It will have a launch too but the drop from the tallest hill wont actually be like TTD or KK but a drop like I305 or Maverick. So pretty much an I305 thats 100 more feet tall with added intense ejector air hills. Oh and also it will have some inversions too.