TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller coaster burnout: has anyone else experienced this?

Let me explain what I mean by "Roller Coaster Burnout". Just today, I got home from a joint Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Carowinds trip. At Carowinds, after finding out that I fit perfectly in Intimidator and Fury 325, the two of them slowly became my two new personal top ten roller coasters. My trip went as followed, Day 1: BGW Days 2-4: Carowinds Day 5: BGW. By the time I went to BGW for the last time yesterday, I found myself just not enjoying the coasters there as much as I thought I would. Apollo's Chariot was a walk-on that day, so I naturally rode it a few times, but every time I rode Apollo's Chariot, Instead of enjoying the ride for what it is, I found myself wishing I was on Fury 325 or Intimidator 232. I felt as if Apollo's Chariot just couldn't deliver the incomporable speed and ejector air of F325 and the amazing floater air of I232. I also felt the same with Verbolten, Alpengeist, and Loch Ness (Maybe not Tempesto or Griffon because those still got me pumped up for some reason)...I found myself not having as much fun as I had my first day at BGW this trip.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Is it a normal thing to experience after days and days of riding coasters?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really... But sone rides can shoot expectations way down in disappointment. I loved Goliath at SFOG in '12, and Nitro was a beast in '14. Early this year I rode Goliath again and was so disappointed. Its no longer the same, not even the helix-hill.

I hear people have expectations set too high for some RMCs after riding one, and then their next one turns out yo not be as good (example: going IRat then NTAG).

Its all about the order you experience them. I haven't gone for enough consecutive days at different parks to completely answer your question though.

Although it seems like you rode some pretty great coasters and were still not feeling it, I think its natural to not be as impressed by things not as good. While I love to take a minute to enjoy a simple roller coaster, I find mediocre ones to not be worth going out of my way for just for the same of a coaster count. I faced a decision this summer with my vacation where I decided that seeing Kings Island and Carowinds in the same trip was spending a lot of time on something kind of redundant. The only ride I was really excited about was The Beast at Kings Island, and I decided rather than spend a day of vacation driving and another at the park, I'd rather do some exciting non-coaster things that I don't get to see in day to day life.

I'm seeing Holiday World, Dollywood, and Carowinds this summer, all three because they offer rides that seem like they are at the top of their class, or multiple unique track designs. I'm very excited about doing these.

I did CP, Kennywood, Knoebels, and Hersheypark during my honeymoon in 2011. I didn't really enjoy Hersheypark all that much, mostly because Lightning Racer was the only ride that really stood out as being on par with what I had already experienced. I probably would have enjoyed it more otherwise. Also, there's a lot about the rides there I can't even remember, while some other parks I can remember each parts of the ride very vividly.

I think it's very natural for it to happen to some folks, especially if you're doing parks/rides back-to-back on low crowd days just to gain credits. It's the kind of question that pops in my head whenever I think about those who travel the world to ride coasters for a living. I know I'd become jaded if I didn't give myself plenty of time in between amusement parks for non-park stuff.

I've had my fair share of becoming jaded for rides, even recently. The best rides I've ever had on Banshee was my first after standing in a 5-hour line on opening day, and recently one particularly cool early-morning ride during Coasterstock. Every other ride I've had on it has been alright, but not as great as those two. It might be partially because I've visited the park on a light Sunday last October and rode it 12 times non-consecutively throughout the day, so I just got used to it.

Well, before I say anything else I'd point out that your fatal mistake was not spending your last day at Kings Dominion and riding I305, which would have put everything else you rode that trip to bed without supper.

Unless you've already been there and don't really like I305. I know those people exist, the same way I know scientologists and other people with strange ideas exist.

Anyway, one thing I learned the hard way this year is coaster riding is completely subjective. You could be riding the greatest coaster in the world, I mean literally, it could be a collaboration between Stengel, Schilke, and Schmeck with solid gold trains crafted by the Buddha himself, and still not fully enjoy it if your head isn't in the right place. It could be what else you rode that day, how tired you are, who you're riding with, anything.

Case in point, when I rode the Voyage for the first time this year at HWN, instead of just sitting back and enjoying the ride, I couldn't stop thinking about how it wasn't as intense as I expected, and how it really wasn't that different from Raven or Legend, and how the brake in the middle really broke up the pacing. It didn't help that everyone kept talking about how much the brake changed the ride. So here I was riding a top 5 woodie and I was hardly even able to enjoy it.

If I'd been coming to the ride cold, and not having just come off of Raven and Legend, I'm sure the story would've been completely different.

Yup. 2012 was the burnout year for me. We went to SFoG and SFGam early in the summer. Then in August we went to SFMM and Knotts. We may have gone somewhere else that year, too. I can't remember. I just know that by the time we were finished with Knotts we were DONE with coasters and parks in general.

From my experience, growing out of my youth has changed the way I experience parks. It's really not always fun to marathon rides. It's more about relaxing and taking everything in, anymore. My perfect summer only involves 3-4 parks total before I get tired of it. My perfect day at a park, and the compromise for a not so enthusiast (aka normal) wife usually involves an early morning visit to snag all of the credits. Then, we'll eat a healthy lunch in the parking lot, relax, and enjoy riding a few of the rides we like. Then, we take an early dinner which usually involves a cheat meal, ie - chicken wings or pizza and beer... We'll go back to the park and totally take it easy, having a couple beers and casually spending the rest of the evening only riding a couple of the coasters we liked the best. The "omfglet'srideasmanyridesaswecaninoneday" days are long gone and way less enjoyable for me.

I don't know how some people go from park to park without getting tired of it. Eating toxic food for days and standing elbow to elbow with obnoxious teenagers would drive me crazy.

I know what you're talking about. This is why I like to take pretty long breaks between trips. My body just kind of gets used to the sensations and its not as much of a rush anymore. I feel the same way just after an entire day at a park. Once you've ridden the best multiple times, everything else feels sub-par. But hey, sometimes it's nice to be able to relax on a coaster.

I sometimes get a bit too. As I live in an area with virtually no theme parks I spend a lot of time without going to one ending up visiting them only when I travel (with family or friends) and I get that feeling once in a while. For example, last year I went to Warner Madrid and rode superman 20 times. On my last rides, while it was still great fun it's obviously nothing like when I ride a coaster after a nearly one year long pause. And, for instance, when I went to CP I stayed there for two days and while I definitely got in a lot of rides plenty of times I would, without a doubt, have gotten even more if I hadn't been going to parks the whole week before.

Sometimes, during the winter or something like that, think: "I wish I could "remove" a ride on a coaster from my last/next theme park visit and have it now" as, naturally, it would feel more exiting.

Let me explain what I mean by "Roller Coaster Burnout". Just today, I got home from a joint Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Carowinds trip. At Carowinds, after finding out that I fit perfectly in Intimidator and Fury 325, the two of them slowly became my two new personal top ten roller coasters. My trip went as followed, Day 1: BGW Days 2-4: Carowinds Day 5: BGW. By the time I went to BGW for the last time yesterday, I found myself just not enjoying the coasters there as much as I thought I would. Apollo's Chariot was a walk-on that day, so I naturally rode it a few times, but every time I rode Apollo's Chariot, Instead of enjoying the ride for what it is, I found myself wishing I was on Fury 325 or Intimidator 232. I felt as if Apollo's Chariot just couldn't deliver the incomporable speed and ejector air of F325 and the amazing floater air of I232. I also felt the same with Verbolten, Alpengeist, and Loch Ness (Maybe not Tempesto or Griffon because those still got me pumped up for some reason)...I found myself not having as much fun as I had my first day at BGW this trip.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Is it a normal thing to experience after days and days of riding coasters?

Yeah, that happened to me when I went to Cedar Point and tried to do everything in one day. By the time I got to the back of the park and was riding Gemeni, Mean Streak, and Magnum I was just sore and unimpressed after having ridden TTD, Maverick, and Millenium earlier, which is unfair - except for Mean Streak. Mean Streak can burn to the ground.

Anyway, I am definitely planning on doing Magnum first the next time I go to CP, because I don't think it got a fair shake in my mind

I think that it is natural. Something like that happened to me. After Carowinds for a weekend driving back we thought hey we have Platinum passes lets go to Kings Dominion and we rode one roller coaster and were like meh next time and started to head home. After a while I think the hype of coaster gets over rated, lol. Give it a week or two.

The strange part is, when it comes to hypercoasters I will still get that feeling of excitement. When I went on Apollo's Chariot, I still felt excited going up that lift and down that 205 foot drop, but when it comes to the airtime hills, deep down inside, I'm like " Aw man, Fury, I305 and I232 had much better airtime than this." On Apollo, I got a slight coming out of my seat feeling whilst on Fury 325, even when they stapled me in with a fourth click, I still felt like I was being launched out of my seat and on I232, My ass was out of that seat for an extended period of time on those hills.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled and being picky, I don't know.

Yes, I have experienced coaster burnout sometimes, although I am a bit torn on this subject. What I mean is, I wouldn't want to visit a park every day because I might start to get bored of it, and the experience of visiting an amusement park would not feel as special as it should. On the other hand, since I live in a place where my home park is open for less than half of the year, I have to take advantage of coaster season while it lasts. I usually visit a park every two weeks or so because that seems like a good interval so that by the end of the season, I don't feel burned out or feel like I didn't ride enough.

I never get burnout on coasters themselves, but I do get awfully tired of the hassle it often takes to ride them.

The lines, the rude or dismissive employees, slow loading times and obnoxious guests wear on me more so now than before.

I'm a roller coaster fan who's prone to motion sickness (lol, I know). Because of this, I rarely marathon or re-ride coasters. I also try to alternate between coasters and other rides as much as possible throughout the day. Every once in a while I get a bad day at the park where I briefly ask myself: "Why do I love these things again?" Luckily, I usually walk it off with some fresh air and I'm right back in line for the next one. To be honest though, I'm not sure if I could keep up during a TPR-style trip if I tried!

I'm a roller coaster fan who's prone to motion sickness (lol, I know). Because of this, I rarely marathon or re-ride coasters. I also try to alternate between coasters and other rides as much as possible throughout the day. Every once in a while I get a bad day at the park where I briefly ask myself: "Why do I love these things again?" Luckily, I usually walk it off with some fresh air and I'm right back in line for the next one. To be honest though, I'm not sure if I could keep up during a TPR-style trip if I tried!

Trust me, somehow you feel like you're letting everyone down if you take a ride off during ERT! Haha.

I am also prone to motion sickness. I need a lot of time between rides, I couldn't keep up on those ERT either.

I am also prone to motion sickness. I need a lot of time between rides, I couldn't keep up on those ERT either.

Well now I like your avatar image even more!

file.php?avatar=84902_1430870907.jpg

As a couple of folks have already mentioned, as one gets older, it is a lot easier to suffer from roller coaster and park burnout. I used to go from one end of Cedar Point to the other in the span of the day...usually three or four times while trying to get all of my favorite rides in. Now we just take our time and do what we want, when we want.

When we went to BGW a couple of weeks ago, we were done with the park at 4:30. Yes, the excessive heat played a role in our wanting leave, but we had pretty much ridden everything that we wanted to ride and didn't really have the motivation or desire to walk around the park anymore.

Even the two grandkids (8 and 10) had had enough by then and wanted to go home!

I never get burnout on coasters themselves, but I do get awfully tired of the hassle it often takes to ride them.

The lines, the rude or dismissive employees, slow loading times and obnoxious guests wear on me more so now than before.

I'm with you on this one. I originally envisioned my vacation this year having 5 parks. After realizing that spending much of it penned up in summer heat like an animal, all while shaking off motion sickness that accumulates and makes me feel SO tired at the end of a riding day, I realized that I needed more freedom.

I want to have ridden everything everywhere, but you've got to space them out to really enjoy them.

Well now I like your avatar image even more!

file.php?avatar=84902_1430870907.jpg

Thanks, I thought it would be fitting.