TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the world's best amusement park ever?

In forums like these many people (myself included) like to air our sometimes very negative opinions about all sorts of things going on at amusement parks. My question is what park, in what year would give us roller coaster enthusiasts nothing to complain about? In other words, what is/was the perfect amusement park?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to Lake Compounce for the first time yesterday, and I kept saying to myself over and over, "this is what an amusement park should be". Great rides, great atmosphere, drinks included, set on a pretty lake. I love it.

You can't answer this question.

You look at the TEA / AECOM attendance numbers, and Magic Kingdom is the "best amusement park ever".

You ask me, I say it's Knoebels.

You ask Robb, he'll probably say EPCOT or Tokyo DisneySea (right?).

You ask a person who loves completely immersive experiences in theme parks, they'll probably say a park in the Orlando area.

You ask a Copenhagen local, they'll say Tivoli Gardens (probably).

The sheer variety of amusement park experiences - from old-school wooden coasters like Phoenix to dark rides like Spiderman - means that there's a "best amusement park ever" for just about every culture in the world.

Yep. To me, Knoebels is just an absolutely wonderful place to be. I can just go there and take a single lap on a coaster on my way home from doing something in south-central Pennsylvania, or I can spend the whole day there with my friends or family. The park doesn't tell me to be someone else as part of a story, or to reserve a Fastpass to get on my favorite ride.

To me, it's the absolute shining example of "great guest experience".

For me it is Silver Dollar City. Having been to amusement parks all across the country, including all WDW parks, and all Florida parks. SDC wins for me because it has amazing theming, amazing attractions, great food, and very small crowds (Compared to larger parks like Disney and Universal.) They have great event's through out the year, and they have an amazing "Christmas In The Park." Every last one of the Employees are amazing, upbeat, fun, fast, and they really seem to care about the guest! The theming is almost as good as, if not just as good as something you expect to find at a Disney park. When you walk through the gates you really feel as if you have stepped back in time. The food is amazing, I do not think I have ever had theme park food that is as good as the food I have had at SDC. They have a great selection of rides! A really smooth, fun B&M coaster, and fun launched coasters (With a launch that packs a nice punch,) A fun S&S Screamin’ Swing, some decent "dark" rides like the "Flooded Mine Shoot Out, and Fire In The Hole" and let's not forget Outlaw Run!!! One of the best wooden coasters any where. Combined all of this with the crowds you find at a smaller theme park and it is an overall great experience.

I'm very surprised that Cedar Point hasn't been mentioned yet. Not trying to be a fan boy here or anything, it's just my personal opinion after going to many major parks.

I feel like Disney, despite great service and theming, is very family oriented. They have a few bigger rides but none that are based on my personal prefrences, these being airtime, inversions, etc. Maybe it's because I don't have kids or something, but I prefer intensity over theming. Parks like Dollywood, SDC, etc. are on the rise but don't have the quantity that CP does.

Living in Western NY, there aren't many great parks to choose from (Darien Lake being the largest). So a trip to Cedar Point is a real treat for me. I have never been majorly upset about much whenever visiting. The crews are upbeat and lightning quick, and although there is a Fast Lane, the park keeps guests in the queue entertained with the music and TVs. An hour wait may feel like 30 minutes.

The choice of rides fits everyone as well. Big or small there is enough to do there so that a multi day stay is pretty much necessary. The rides are amazing. Mean Streak is really the only ride that is bad (and it's not to bad compared to others). Plus the park is adding something major every few years. Overall upkeep and maintenance in the park is extraordinary. The midway is beautifully landscaped and clean, and other sections look great too. Dragster is the only ride that causes problems regularly, but with that complexity, CP is trying their best.

I remember being mesmerized by Cedar Point back in 1994 as a 13 year old. I think it has lost a lot of its charm since then.

Recently, I'd have to say Epcot or Dollywood.

First time I went was in 2000. Barely 7 years old. I remember riding the train past the freshly built Millennium Force and looking up at it. I couldn't believe my little eyes. It may have lost a bit of its family charm since the old days, but it has without a doubt grown in to the epicenter of thrill seeking. There aren't many parks with as good of a variety of coasters.

I don't know about "world's best", but my favourite park will always be WDW's Magic Kingdom. The park's cultural and historical significance always impressed me, and it is the park I most look forward too every time I visit Walt Disney World. I can't wait to go back in November.

I'm very surprised that Cedar Point hasn't been mentioned yet.

Granted I do LOVE Cedar Point, but when it comes down to me picking "The Best Amusement Park" Cedar Point is in the top 5, but it is not number one.

Yes, they do have an amazing, one of a kind roller coaster line up, and they have a great selection of flat rides, and a decent selection of water rides, but that is where this park ends for me. It does not have the amazing theming that I look for in a park. It has very minimal theming for that matter. The only ride that has any real theming (to me) is Maverick. The food is... blah, to say the least. And the staff for the most part is just okay. So aside from the outstanding roller coaster line up, there is really nothing else that makes this park stand out to me. Like I said, I do LOVE the park, and I can not wait to go back next month, but it just is not what I would call "Worlds Best Amusement Park" material.

I remember going to Magic Kingdom when I was 7 and being really bored and irritatable all day (mostly after my mom convinced me that Space Mountain was for 7-year-olds). Of the 4 parks I've been to, Lagoon has the best vibes, SFOT has the best ride collection, SFFT has the best service, and WDW has the best theming. SFOT also has great history and theming, so overall it wins, but their weather policies are ridiculous and their service is a hit or miss (Titan had a great but slow ride operator, NTaG had a boring but efficient ride operator). Overall I prefer SFOT but I've only been go four parks so this is giving less than two cents.

For me it is Silver Dollar City.
Recently, I'd have to say Epcot or Dollywood.
I'm very surprised that Cedar Point hasn't been mentioned yet. Not trying to be a fan boy here or anything, it's just my personal opinion after going to many major parks.
I don't know about "world's best", but my favourite park will always be WDW's Magic Kingdom.
Knoebels.

See how difficult it is to find a definitive answer to this question?

Granted, there are definitely a few parks that stick out, but the "best amusement park ever" is going to be different for each person, because each person has different entertainment needs.

All of these Knoebels answers are making me cringe.

How come? Just wondering.

Anyways, I do not have a definitive answer for this. If I'm looking for some kick-a** coasters, Cedar Point or SFGA would get my pick. If I want immersive theming, then I'd say TDS or IOA. Land for a nice, relaxing, but still fun, amusement park experience, I'd say Knoebels. As others have said, I think it's too hard to give just one answer.

My question is what park, in what year would give us roller coaster enthusiasts nothing to complain about? In other words, what is/was the perfect amusement park?
There are none, and never have been. In other words, you can't please everyone. Enthusiasts are highly efficient at complaining, as a group.

My favorite park is Hershey for their well-rounded, high quality coaster collection in a clean, comfortable setting with very few annoyances. It's difficult to edge out Knoebels and after I do a camping trip there later this year, it may be back to #1.

Coney Island was transformed from a seedy hangout to essentially the model for the modern amusement park, so it would be hard to argue against its status as a contender for best amusement park ever.

Erlebnispark Tripsdrill looks to me like the best amusement park in the world today, and my #1 "bucket list" park.

How come? Just wondering.

Knoebels just comes off to me as 'grimy', rather than a 'charming' atmosphere like most find. With me being a landscape architect/urban designer, I guess you could see why I'm not the largest fan of a place full of asphalt, gravel, and weeds. However, I will say that Impulse looks amazing and I wish more parks across the country would install these rides since they aren't too pricey but pack a big punch like a(n) B&M/Intamin does. Impulse has me wanting me to give this park another shot soon.