TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Three Mistakes

Valleyfair

This one I don't like removing Excalibur for a new parking lot but Valleyfair must see they need one rumor expanding the soak city water park I'm hoping they should replace the Excalibur with a new B&M inverted coaster in the same year feel like the park is going backwards then foward. Look what Dorney Park did with removing Hercules they added a new B&M Hydra Floorless coaster.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Fair:

1. Not giving Geauga Lake a proper farewell in 2007. It would have been nice to let people know about it ahead of time to say their last goodbyes. After all the park was around for 119 years.

2. I still think closing Thunder Road is a bad idea. With Fury 325 as the new anchor attraction Hurler should be closed and replaced with a long needed log flume.

3. I found out on Facebook that Cedar Fair is selling selfie sticks in the parks - what the heck were they thinking?

Cedar Fair in general:

1. Not keeping any of the brands/properties that were acquired from Paramount.

I actually believe this was a very smart move by Cedar Fair. The problem I had with the Paramount Parks was that the theming essentially became 'dated' and irrelevant very quickly since they were theming rides off of not blockbuster hits or movies with no sequels.

However, I'm not a fan of many of the renames Cedar Fair did in 2007... Drop Tower? Can't get much more pathetic than that. It makes me wish Ouimet was around then because I'd doubt those names would have been picked.

I want to know how Carowinds got Afterburn, which is a pretty awesome name, while the other parks Top Gun coasters were just named Flight Deck.

I want to know how Carowinds got Afterburn, which is a pretty awesome name, while the other parks Top Gun coasters were just named Flight Deck.

I don't really know why Cedar Fair would renamed Carowinds' Top Gun coaster to "Afterburn" and the other Top Gun coaster to "Flight Deck", why couldn't Cedar Fair rename all of the Top Gun coasters "Afterburn"?

Cuda Falls

Take a drink everyone.

also we are at finish your drink by now.

Sure theme parks make "mistakes" but I really don't get this thread.

Ditto, Victor. This thread is lost on me. The vast majority in these aren't "mistakes", either.

I don't really know why Cedar Fair would renamed Carowinds' Top Gun coaster to "Afterburn" and the other Top Gun coaster to "Flight Deck", why couldn't Cedar Fair rename all of the Top Gun coasters "Afterburn"?

Apparently there was a major uproar in the Carowinds fan base about it being called "Flight Deck" so it was given the name of "Afterburn" instead.

• 2 months later...

SFMM -

1) Not enough variation in rides. How about a dark ride or a unique water ride?

2) Wayfinding - as someone who wasn't familiar with the park, the layout was confusing and really didn't feel signage was great.

3) keeping up with the "coaster wars" - I don't think it's helping the parks image or demographics to keep trying.

2) Wayfinding - as someone who wasn't familiar with the park, the layout was confusing and really didn't feel signage was great.

I must totally disagree with this statement. SFMM is in the shape of an 8. rides like Goliath and lex are on the bottom half and rides like tatsu are on the top half. The middle would include rides like Superman and Ninja. Another thing is park maps can be retrieved at the front of the park for easy navigation.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

1. Only importing hand-me-down attractions for the dry side of the park.

2. Waiting until the last two years of operations to make any attempt at improving park quality.

3. Sneaking the best roller coaster out with promise of a water park expansion a couple months before permenantly closing the entire park and leaving it to rot.

I finally figured out three for Playland(PNE).

Sorry in advance to the park. I know they're trying, now.

My Major #1) Not snapping up the (then) closed down Empire Stadium and

all the adjoining land around it. It would literally increase Playland by three-fold

for future actual theming! With a steel coaster encircling the entire property, too!

And Coaster would sit square in the middle of it all - Our Disney Castle.

#2) Not getting rid of Corkscrew by now. It is OVER it's FD3 movie connection, okay?

Hardly anybody remembers it, and hardly any of it was actually used, except the

loading platform. And an El Loco would fit very nicely into it's footprint with a still great

view of the mountains and inlet.

#3) Closing down it's only (for a very long time) Laff-In-The-Dark, and replacing

it with.................................nothing. And when the PNE comes in, the additional

rides never ever include a cheesy dark ride (or more) any more. They need a new

permanent building like the old one (the Haunted Mansion is in it's spot now, and it's a

walk-through, not a ride, and with actors, hence the up charge) used to be, where the inside

could be changed according to whim or theme or holiday. Hmmm?

Edited by Nrthwnd

Wonderland.

I will prempt this by saying I think Cedar Fair has done an EXCELLENT job with CW..and the 3 mistakes I write are personal opinions only. The good outweighs the bad by a vast amount. Still if we are allowed to be nitpicky.....

1 Guardian....Have mentioned and agreed with people on the Wonderland thread that the theming is incomplete...and the ride NEEDS a better queue system and maybe a souvenir shop on the exit.

2 Backlot stunt coaster....the special effects section is totally pointless now there are no actual special effects anymore (no helicopter, gunfire or flames). Is there a reason for that??

3 Tomb Raider/Timewarp.....This was a pretty weak addition from the Paramount days!

Cedar Point

* Demolishing Space Spiral for Gatekepper instead of building said coaster around it!

* Renaming Jr. Gemini to "Wilderness Run"

* Leaving certain rides' special effects to "rot"

1) The ride had reached the end of its service life

2) Wilderness Run fits better into the Camp name than Jr. Gemini

3) What are you talking about? Maverick?

Geauga Lake

1. Spend to add 20 freaking new rides to a park in 2 years.

2. Acquire another park and become the world's largest theme park, in a small suburb of Cleveland Ohio, with a very low-priced admission ticket and extreme debt.

3. Close all animal attractions, build a new waterpark there, close the old waterpark, send all of your coasters away, and then close down the entire rides side leaving only the new waterpark.

I think this one wins.

I agree, but would word it a little differently:

1. Attempt to compete on a national scale by combining 3 parks and charging for one.

2. Eliminate the animal park(2/3 of the max attendance), then complain of low attendance.

3. Eliminate the ride park (1/2 of the remaining attendance), stating that it wasn't financially stable.

I am still bitter about this. Six Flags did it wrong, and Cedar Fair did it wrong.

Canobie Lake Park

1: Putting up with the Town of Salem's crap for so long, seriously... The park really shouldn't have accepted their stupid rules back in the 80's

2: Running Yankee Cannonball with only one train...

3: Removing the fog on Psychodrome (It's not the same )

SFGADV:

1. Closing Old Country and most of Movie Town for a wild mouse in the dark

2. Closing the path from Kingda Ka to El Toro causing you to walk all the way around.

3. Not repainting any rides (Nitro I'm looking at you)

SFNE:

1. Removing the Skyway

2. Goliath's new trains

3. The trains on Bizarro

Disneyland:

1. Removing the People Mover for Rocket Rods

2. Removing Rocket Rods and not replacing it with anything (THE TRACK IS STILL ABANDONED!)

3. Removing the Skyway

SFGadv

1. Receiving Green Lantern instead of theoretically receiving a wingrider a few years later(rumor has it that SFGam was supposed to get it, and they got X-Flight. Which would you rather have?)

2. Disconnecting Plaza Del Carnival from the Golden Kingdom

3. Slowing El Toro's cable lift (I know, I know, structural tension and all that. Still though, the drop went from insane ejector to less insane ejector)

SFGadv

1. Receiving Green Lantern instead of theoretically receiving a wingrider a few years later(rumor has it that SFGam was supposed to get it, and they got X-Flight. Which would you rather have?)

3. Slowing El Toro's cable lift (I know, I know, structural tension and all that. Still though, the drop went from insane ejector to less insane ejector)

Id take Green lantern over x flight. Instead of that Ill say not getting approval from the state for operating Kingda Ka and killimajaro at the same time.

I took the shortcut on multiple occasions this year, although it isn't open. It's annoying if you know it's there, but it's really not that big of a deal in the long run.

Slowing El Toro's cable lift (I know, I know, structural tension and all that. Still though, the drop went from insane ejector to less insane ejector)

In the back two rows (which is where you should be riding, especially if you're concerned about airtime), using basic physics principles, a slowdown of about 5 mph when the front of the train begins its descent results in the back of the ridiculously long trains traveling negligibly slower, and would essentially make zero difference whatsoever during the course.

To be honest, El Toro's first drop is the best first drop on any coaster anywhere (that I've been on, which includes Maverick, MF, though not yet Skyrush), even with the "neutering," if you can really call it that. It was almost like they realized "you know what, its comes to a point where this ride is just stupid good, and that wouldn't change by slowing the cable a bit at the top."

Great Adventure:

1. Adding Chiller instead of a Mr. Freeze clone. Now, Chiller was one of my favorites at the park, and if it had no issues I would much prefer it over a clone. However, the power issue left only one side operational, and the inline twists gave the park huge issues later in its tenure. If they just put in a Mr. Freeze clone instead, we'd still have that Premier launcher that really completed the park's lineup.

2. War On Lines. It was a great idea in theory, but some of the rides were plagued with issues, and the ones that could work stayed closed due to severe staffing issues. Had the old regime kept the rides dormant, I do believe the new ownership would have finally had the staff to operate them. However, all we have left is mostly concrete pads and smoking areas.

3. Closing Old Country and letting Movietown rot. Not much to say here, it is still an ugly, awkward eyesore. Hopefully that area is next on the agenda for refurbishment.