TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Pilgrimage To The Point

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robb what gives!? You missed a perfectly appropriate "Let Me Google That For You" moment!!!

You know what's really sad? LMGTFY doesn't really work on mobile devices anymore! So I haven't been using it as much.

Nice report, BTW!

Great trip report! Making me realize though that planning only one day for CP when I get out there next month was something of a bad decision...by the sound of it, even with FL+ and a weekday, it's gonna be a stretch to get it all in...

Great trip report! Making me realize though that planning only one day for CP when I get out there next month was something of a bad decision...by the sound of it, even with FL+ and a weekday, it's gonna be a stretch to get it all in...

Not to say you can get it all done in one day but keep in mind we took our time. We didn't run from ride to ride and we stopped to eat/drink a lot. We shopped, we chilled at the hotel, etc. We totally went at our own pace which is why FL+ was handy and/or necessary. We also re-rode a bunch, if I hadn't done Maverick 6x and Millennium 4x, that time could have been spent doing things we skipped/missed.

I love reading your Trip Reports. I am Really happy you enjoyed cedar point so much. It is a big park

with so much to take in. Like you stated i really liked Wildcat at Hersey and don't understand why so many people hate on it. Since you have been to my home park its now time for me to get out to yours.

Thank you, and you should. We don't have as much of an immersive experience (the resort, better themeing, location, etc) but I'm happy that Great Adventure has the rides we do. We have a rock solid line-up and I don't take it for granted one bit. Somehow after this trip I feel even stronger about that, maybe because I realize our line-up could actually compete with theirs? Quality vs quantity?

What a great finale to your trip despite you getting injured on that last day.

If you think Millennium Force is great at night you'd have to check it out during Halloweekends when the Frontier Trail becomes a fright zone and if there's little wind, the fog they pump into it completely envelopes the lower parts of the ride and it's amazing. Also Maverick at night is phenomenal.

Excellent TR! I really, really enjoyed reading it! The pictures are great and your experiences detailed during your trip were fun to read. The last time I was at Kennywood was 16 years ago and the first and only time I was at Cedar Point was when Millennium Force opened... Far, far too long ago!!! I live just outside DC so go to SFGAdv, Hersheypark, Kings Dominion and BGW. I mentioned to my coaster-loving boyfriend that we should get to CP sometime in the next year or two. Next thing I know he texts me saying he took some days off in early July, let's book it and go - woohoo! Breakers was booked solid so we'll be at Sandcastle which is at the far end of the park but that's better than nothing. I get very fatigued easily and I liked your idea of heading back to the hotel mid-day to rest for an hour or so. One question - what is their loose article policy? I carry a fanny pack like Robb and it is always secured to me. Is that OK or are their certain rides that I have to pay for a youknowwhat to store it in?

Great TR! One of these years I'll make my pilgrimage to the Point, but this year I'll have to settle for Japan. I know, hardly a trade off. It looks like you did Cedar Point the right way, and did a good job of squeezing in Kennywood in too. Cedar Point looks awesome, and not just the park, but also the whole resort property. Kennywood looks really cool too. Nice job!

Excellent TR! I really, really enjoyed reading it! The pictures are great and your experiences detailed during your trip were fun to read. The last time I was at Kennywood was 16 years ago and the first and only time I was at Cedar Point was when Millennium Force opened... Far, far too long ago!!! I live just outside DC so go to SFGAdv, Hersheypark, Kings Dominion and BGW. I mentioned to my coaster-loving boyfriend that we should get to CP sometime in the next year or two. Next thing I know he texts me saying he took some days off in early July, let's book it and go - woohoo! Breakers was booked solid so we'll be at Sandcastle which is at the far end of the park but that's better than nothing. I get very fatigued easily and I liked your idea of heading back to the hotel mid-day to rest for an hour or so. One question - what is their loose article policy? I carry a fanny pack like Robb and it is always secured to me. Is that OK or are their certain rides that I have to pay for a youknowwhat to store it in?

Happy to see you are making the trip!

What was so clutch about the hotel room is that we never took anything into the park except money and sunglasses, since if we needed anything it was just a 5 minute walk from the gate. I did notice a few people on rides with fannypacks, CP didn't seem to be so crazy about loose articles imo. I got harassed about wearing my sunglasses only once on Maverick, I argued with the op that I had already ridden with them (I had) and then she knew it was a lost cause and let me go anyway (my sunglasses don't have a strap but they are tight to my face and have survived many rides on El Toro).

I noticed a lot of the coasters did have storage bins we used a few times once we had stuff like on-ride photos we were carrying around, and I know that Millennium has lockers (we didnt need them since my other half wouldnt go near it and held stuff for us).

LMAO yes of course. I would jump on Maverick right now without a second thought. The missus has more than once said she missed Gatekeeper.

Seriously tho after those three days I was done. I was happy rain was in the forecast Monday so leaving felt a little less painful but I honestly don't know if I could have done a fourth day (and the crazy part was the original plan was to do Hershey on Thursday, then Kennywood, then CP - glad we nixed that as Hershey is pretty close and I would have been DEAD by Sunday).

I will say two weeks later I am happy to be getting up to Dorney on Sunday for another fix - its pretty close (about an hour drive) and while its not considered a must-do park by many folks around these parts, they have a few rides that I love: Possessed, Talon, Dominator, and Apollo. I'm also looking forward to the C4K marathon and trying out Demon Drop and getting the Stinger credit. It'll just be Tom and myself so that means things could get a little more unhinged than last weekend lol.

And after CP, I'm excited to be doing another Cedar Fair park, tho I need to get up to GreatAdv soon for some more Toro action. I also haven't ridden Nitro at all this year, that needs to change.

I rode Stuntmans Freefall @ GreatAdv a few times as a kid and loved it, and had every intention of doing Demon Drop on my visit to Dorney last year, but it was like we just forgot that part of the park existed. I didn't even realize we skipped it until the day after. My plan is to get back there the first chance I get on Sunday so I don't miss it a second time!

I'm going to CP and cut the rest of this post out

What was so clutch about the hotel room is that we never took anything into the park except money and sunglasses, since if we needed anything it was just a 5 minute walk from the gate. I did notice a few people on rides with fannypacks, CP didn't seem to be so crazy about loose articles imo. I got harassed about wearing my sunglasses only once on Maverick, I argued with the op that I had already ridden with them (I had) and then she knew it was a lost cause and let me go anyway (my sunglasses don't have a strap but they are tight to my face and have survived many rides on El Toro).

Cool. How big would you say CP is compared to SFGAdv in terms of walking distance from front to back? Let's use the walk from Nitro over to El Toro as our meter. I know CP is relatively narrow but it's hard to tell.

I always wear straps on my sunglasses but good to know they are less cranky there about that sort of thing and packs aren't a problem. We decided to purchase FP+ for both days seeing as we'll be in the park all day Thurs July 3 and Fri July 5. Not sure if we need to get them way beforehand or would be ok waiting until we get there and check in on Wed 7/2. What if we buy them now and there are downpours and storms? Wasted a few hundred bucks. Hard to swallow that but that's life. I'm thinking we can think about it for another couple weeks or even until we check-in, unless other members here suggest otherwise.

^ It's narrow but it is a big park. Larger than I anticipated. I'd say the walk from back by Maverick up to the front/Gatekeeper is comparable to the walk from Kingda Ka to Nitro. Its hard for me to use the Toro-to-Nitro comparison because I always use the SkyRide between those two lol.

As far as Fast Lane, I'd wait. The passes won't sell out online in advance. If the day of your visit to the park you get there and weather is looking great and it feels crowded right away, bite the bullet and get them. What is the sense of ordering them online if you have no idea what weather/crowds will looking until the day of. I would never, ever buy a skip-the-line pass in advance.

I was planning on going south to KD and BGW

Ironically, there has already been some light chatter about doing this road trip next spring. We'll see.

^ Like I said in the last part of the report - not much. When I visit this park again I will likely stay at Breakers. It might be smart to not go on a holiday weekend but we made the most of it and the crowds never really bothered us at all. We missed a few things but its hard to be bummed about those few things when we had a generally great weekend.

^ It's narrow but it is a big park. Larger than I anticipated. I'd say the walk from back by Maverick up to the front/Gatekeeper is comparable to the walk from Kingda Ka to Nitro. Its hard for me to use the Toro-to-Nitro comparison because I always use the SkyRide between those two lol. ............ What is the sense of ordering them online if you have no idea what weather/crowds will looking until the day of. I would never, ever buy a skip-the-line pass in advance./quote]

Skyride always has a huge line so I've never taken it!! I just grimace and start walking. Ka-to-Nitro is an acceptable comparison and also far enough to make it a decent walk but still doable. Thanks. Normally I'd never buy fast passes in advance but it's 4th of July wknd and everyone gives me that "eesh, you're going then?!" reaction. Happy to hear you think it's more than safe to wait!

I always love reading trip reports from Cedar Point virgins because it brings back good memories of my first visit about a dozen years ago. I live 8 hours away (Iowa) so I don't visit more than once or twice a year. I was absolutely blown away with the renovations to Breakers on my trip a couple weeks ago. It's hard to not want to be at the hotel and in the park at the same time. Hope you get many more visits to Cedar Point!