TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What defunct park intrigues you the most?

Another defunct park I now find interesting is Euclid Beach. I mean it was another Lake Erie Ohio amusement park. It could of been like Cedar Point's "sister" park:P It kind of makes me wonder if Euclid Beach was still around how would it compete with Cedar Point? Also apparently they were known for their popcorn calls and taffies. I notice a lot of small family owned parks defunct or still operating will often have flagship foods and snacks. Corporate parks not so much though it seems...Im guessing because everything is mass produced when it comes to corporate park foods.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebration City is another park that intrigues me. . . Mainly because I keep finding myself thinking WTF happened that caused it to fail?? I'm guessing that as busy as Branson gets, it still wasn't/isn't enough to support two major theme parks. Regardless Ozark Wildcat was an awesome coaster, and it's sad to see that it couldn't be saved. I was hoping that the park could have been given a new life, but guess not. *sighs* to think what could have been. . .

• 2 weeks later...

The main defunct park I'm intrigued by is Circus World-mostly because I got to go to WDW several times as a kid,but never got to try it.

Other parks I would give an honorable mention to:Riverview,Old Chicago,Astroworld,the California Busch Gardens,the 1964/65 World's Fair,Glen Echo Park and NJ's Palisades.

Six Flags New Orleans and Six Flags Astroworld (I feel both would still have been open if not for Hurricane Katrina)

Riverview Park

Boblo Island

Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park (would probably be still open if it were in/near a large metro area)

Palisades Park

Crystal Beach

Opryland USA

Edgewater Park

Geauga Lake/SeaWorld Ohio

I went to Six Flags Astroworld the week they announced it would be closing forever. It was the fourth of July, there were so many gangs there that they had to have police in the park separating people wearing blue from people wearing red. They cancelled the fireworks, and if i remember correctly the park closed early (not sure, i was very young). A gang that left the park went to a nearby shell station and looted it. As a kid i remember not liking the park, SWAT was my favorite ride, XLR8 was pretty unique, Viper was a beaut, the drop tower was cool, Serial Thriller was my first invert, and the Texas Cyclone was just awful. The stand-up coaster was pretty terrible too, very similar to Vortex at Carowinds. I wish the park would have been successful, its a shame it had to close.

Boblo island!

Went there many times as a kid. There are bits and pieces of the park that remain to this day. The park was located on an island, and was only accessible by ferry boat on the Detroit river.

Today, they built some condos on the island but that has not worked out as planned. There are still plenty of remains of the park like the space spiral ride, numerous buildings, grown over mini golf course, fountains, and the empty bumpercars building. This would be one place that I would love to explore.

• 1 month later...

Probably Celebration City in Branson, Missouri, mainly because it was my home park before it closed. I've done so much research about the park and where everything went after the park closed. The only rides I don't know their current location are Stinger (the Wisdom Tornado), Fireball (the KMG Afterburner), and the Tilt-A-Whirl. I know the Tilt-A-Whirl went to Miracle Strip but then that place closed. I truly do believe the park could have survived if it had just opened at a normal time and not three in the afternoon. I also wonder why Herschend hasn't bothered to put Roaring Falls or the Carousel up for sale.

I may be showing my age, but I've been to a few of the parks people have listed here. I do remember Baseball and Boardwalk/Circus World.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Busch Gardens Van Nuys. Granted, it didn't have any thrill rides, but did have a monorail, log flume, and boat ride (sort of like the Jungle Cruise, but serious, not joking). And it was superbly landscaped, as you can see. Those are city train tracks that divide the park down the middle.

busch_gardens_aboveLA.thumb.jpg.7fda16ddbea548255820cb318201245d.jpg

Similar was Japanese Village Deer Park, which used to be near Knott's Berry Farm. It was noted for not only being able to feed deer, but pearl divers who actually dived into a deep pool to get the oysters, and the now infamous and not politically correct anymore trained bear show, where the highlight was watching a bear go on a swing all the way upside down. (go to about 2:10)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

667141531_JapaneseVillage.thumb.jpg.84c874c7b8f221336d1b10ee707ac667.jpg

deerpark2.jpg.905c6573a18485bc6a18b3f6412b99b1.jpg

japanese-village-deer-park-493-7194.jpg.dcb22ba6c828f08b77e1b6b933ccfc6f.jpg

japanese-village-deer-park-494-7780.jpg.a5c23a29a489c2d66945e1f7f4ee777d.jpg

japanese-village-deer-park-495-7330.jpg.629da69a8615daf6528ab9398ec07f94.jpg

japanese-village-deer-park-503-7858.jpg.d42220fee785186904e329a1c6aaf561.jpg

japanese-village-deer-park-517-7671.jpg.84200911399483d04eab248502aa4a84.jpg

I went to Six Flags Astroworld the week they announced it would be closing forever. It was the fourth of July, there were so many gangs there that they had to have police in the park separating people wearing blue from people wearing red. They cancelled the fireworks, and if i remember correctly the park closed early (not sure, i was very young). A gang that left the park went to a nearby shell station and looted it. As a kid i remember not liking the park, SWAT was my favorite ride, XLR8 was pretty unique, Viper was a beaut, the drop tower was cool, Serial Thriller was my first invert, and the Texas Cyclone was just awful. The stand-up coaster was pretty terrible too, very similar to Vortex at Carowinds. I wish the park would have been successful, its a shame it had to close.

I thought the closure announcement came in September of 2005. I wonder if the lack of attendance was due to all the gang issues (red = bloods; blue = crips)

My mom remembers Busch Gardens Van Nuys. They had a bunch of exotic birds, and some of them escaped when the park closed forever. They reproduced and thrived here in the San Fernando Valley. Occasionally, I still see wild parakeets flying around.

Definitely Boardwalk and Baseball/Circus World. I spent many a day at this park and miss the hell out of it. It had such great potential but bad management did it in. I know it's proximity to Disney played a part but I do recall it was always busy on my visits. Shame Busch didn't see a potential for this park to flourish. Another park I miss is Six Gun Territory in Ocala, Florida. I remember going there as a kid and had a blast. Old western town attractions are fun and this one was unique. I believe it was built by the same people who created Ghost Town In The Sky.

IMG_0248.JPG.906d56ec8243985766a7ff57e16d359d.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG.9bc4ce6e36559562e79d569062404063.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG.69ddde85dce766f415e61104a8adec60.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG.c884c5615c9918c35738576066181067.JPG

IMG_0251.GIF.9ea2c3c82861069b19aac447544cd9cb.GIF

Conneaut Lake

... wait, they're what?

They're still... no you're joking right? Oh, well nevermind then.

Haha, this is actually one of the first things that came to mind for me. I would love to be able to see it at it's heyday however. I remember when I was much younger (<5) going and not really being able to ride anything, but watching older siblings and other teenagers riding the hell hole and such.

Even though I think I went there 3 or 4 times as a teenager Geagua Lake/Sea World always intrigues me. Howe quickly Six Flags built up the park and then how quickly it all just disappeared. It was fun, but the location was not designed to handle a park of that size.

I still wish it existed, SLC, Boomerang and all

Either Geauga Worlds of Adventure or Freestyle Rock Park. I wish both could have survived.

I blame Six Flags on the free-fall of Geauga Lake. They overexpanded way too quickly. And now it's set to be a set of overpriced condos and a grocery store if the latest rumors are to be believed.

And I had a timeshare right across the street from the Myrtle Beach music park. BTW, why haven't any more parks asked for Ferris Wheel lifts? What was the maintenance like on it?

I also miss Celebration City. I remember the one night I visited, I marathoned OzCat.

Either Geauga Worlds of Adventure or Freestyle Rock Park. I wish both could have survived.

I blame Six Flags on the free-fall of Geauga Lake. They overexpanded way too quickly. And now it's set to be a set of overpriced condos and a grocery store if the latest rumors are to be believed.

And I had a timeshare right across the street from the Myrtle Beach music park. BTW, why haven't any more parks asked for Ferris Wheel lifts? What was the maintenance like on it?

I also miss Celebration City. I remember the one night I visited, I marathoned OzCat.

Hard Rock/Freestyle was done in (at least in part) by a bad location and likely would have done better if it were near a major theme park-less metro area.

In the late 1990s-early 2000s, Six Flags was overexpanding way too quickly. It seems like parks were getting big new coasters every year or every other year with some parks getting two coasters in one year.

In the late 1990s-early 2000s, Six Flags was overexpanding way too quickly. It seems like parks were getting big new coasters every year or every other year with some parks getting two coasters in one year.

And not just adding new big coasters to their parks but also buying new parks almost every year. It wasn't remotely sustainable.

^ Wasn't Marriott's supposed to do a third Great America near the East coast?

But they bailed, because of the upkeep on the two they already built....maybe?

The third (unknown) Marriott's Great America theme park I would love to see

early designs and concepts for. Even though I know it would start with that

double decked carousel, and the entryway plaza, and the three armed

ferris wheel, etc.etc.

And not just adding new big coasters to their parks but also buying new parks almost every year. It wasn't remotely sustainable.

In 1999, Six Flags added 17 new coasters chain-wide, including three going to SFA and SFGAdv apiece and two to SFFT.

In 2000, Six Flags added 16 new coasters, including four (!!!) to SFO, three to SFNE, and two each to SFMW and SFM.

In 2001, Six Flags added 11 new coasters (not counting the Goliath Jr re-theme at SFMM and counting X as 2001 as it soft opened late in 2001 and officially opened in very early 2002). SFGAm, SFMM, and SFOT all got two coasters apiece.

I can figure out why Six Flags was infamous for downtime in the 2000s. Too many coasters and not enough maintenance staff to take care of them.

ferris wheel, etc.etc.

Supposedly they bailed for the same reasons Disney's America never materialized, the residents strongly opposed it. I would also think the third park would have also been a cloned design of the other two though I do wonder if there would have been tweaks due to it being near Washington.

Recently three UK parks have intrigued me:

Pleasure Island Cleethorpes - having seen photos and a few videos on the Net it looked rather interesting with the themed entrance area and beyond that the rest of the park was just an open setting around a lake. Looked like it had potential. Had a boomerang and a Vekoma family coaster. Just closed last year.

Camelot - again having seen a few videos and pictures on the Net it seemed to have a rather subdued yet interesting medieval theme. I believe Knightmare, the Schwarzkopf coaster, is still standing on the site today.

American Adventure - American parks have had their own ideas when depicting what European life is like but seeing how the UK depicted life in the U.S. seemed to be a unique theme for a park, even though there are a few American Wild West inspired parks throughout Europe (i.e. Fraispertuis City, O.K. Corral, Fort Fun)

The Massachusetts beachfront parks intrigue me the most, especially Paragon Park. Nantasket Beach is already a really nice beach and it would have been great having an amusement park just 15 minutes from me growing up. The Fascination building and the classic Carousel are sadly all that remains. I got to ride the Giant Coaster in its new location at Six Flags America and the ride was smooth and filled with air-time. It would have been amazing having that ride along the beach.

ferris wheel, etc.etc.

From my understanding the Maryland Great America was originally planned for being near Merriweather Post Pavilion/Columbia Mall but those developers raised a ruckus about it.Later on I heard that another location closer to Baltimore was offered,but Marriott was already looking to get out of the amusement industry.

For me it's LeSourdsville Lake in/near Cincinnati, OH. I spent many childhood days there and would enjoy a trip back again as an adult to experience it.

They had a Western area of the park you'd get to by train, and the main part of the park surrounded a lake.

The park was renamed Americana in the years before ultimately closing for good about 10 years ago.

This park had a lot of potential and it's sad to see this park become one of the now defunct amusement parks.

01.png.32ac6953ad88793b3a47eb719597534c.png

885414581_01aAm.jpg.f0e9561cf395b3edf556711586520223.jpg

287177863_01aaAm.thumb.jpg.cb4244225f31bc72381198da2e0842c8.jpg

6212486_01bAm.jpg.adc2d0aef6d0216b596c99e761db2adf.jpg

1587397860_01dAm.jpg.d2a4bbf5b415d2e7a558156c7edc4622.jpg

1609381158_01eAm.jpg.9c01f333d682ec7007d92b9dc32a0773.jpg

Hard Rock Park. If it was done right, it could have / would... rock.

Six Flags New Orleans. From Jazzland to Katrina and present.

Just like SFNO, Geuaga Lake would like to visit in each of the eras.

But, the title says most. So I will go with Carson City in Catskill NY. No coasters but an old west town in the Catskill Mts. where bandits would hold up the train ride and steal your candy and bubble gum. I would like to go back in time because when I went as a youngster the memories are some of my earliest. It seemed so big even though Google Maps proves it wasn't. I even went as an adult on a date with the woman that would become my wife. The memories still seem surreal.

Plus, local Jimmy Fallon went when he was a youngster too.

• 11 months later...