TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What defunct park intrigues you the most?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palisades amusement park in NJ. My mother still talks about the place from time to time and I found some footage on YouTube of the place to show her and she was thrilled to watch it. Being able to go back to that time with her would be really cool.

Here's the list of coasters there...

http://www.palisadespark.com/coasters.html

Some more info...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisades_Amusement_Park

What a catchy commercial lol..

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And this singer Freddie Cannon even wrote a song about the place

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^ Yea this park seemed pretty interesting too. It was like one of the most popular amusement parks of the time. Oh by the way I watched the commercial and was saying to myself,who goes to an amusement park to watch people dance?? booooooring! I go to amusement parks for the rides!

Definitely Ghost Town Village in Maggie Valley, NC. You had to take a ski lift to get up to the park in the mountains. The views looked to be spectacular and they had a bizarre Hopkins coaster built on the edge of the mountain. The park has been bouncing back and forth between SBNO and Open up til 2015, so maybe there's a chance it'll reopen down the road.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

As a kid growing up on their weird and wacky Saturday morning TV shows like H.R. Pufnstuf, Land of the Lost (who can forget the Sleestaks?!), Wonderbug, and Kaptain Kool and the Kongs amongst so many others, I'd say The World of Sid and Marty Krofft that was once in Atlanta intrigues me most.

Riverview park in chicago has fascinated me for most of my life. I was born in '76, eight years after riverview closed, but I've heard all of the stories from my parents, grandparents, and aunts & uncles about how magical riverview was and how heartbreaking its closure and demolition was.

My grandmother grew up a few blocks from riverview in the '20s/'30 and spent a big chunk of her childhood there. She loved the place dearly. Oh what I would give to have access to a time machine for just one day.

I routinely drive by that stupid ugly strip mall on western avenue that replaced riverview and just shake my head in disappointment at the unfortunate stupidity of it all.

^Maybe its because im from a different era but i was never lucky enough to grow up close to a cheap local park like many older folks did. If anything most of my childhood was at local carnivals that came into town. Sure they are better then nothing but with carnivals they arnt up all summer and for the most part there wasnt/isnt coasters. As someone who now lives in Chicago i really wish Riverview was still around...Great America is an awesome park but it would be nice to have a closer and cheaper park as well. Also The Bobs looks like it would of been an awesome coaster! Also wish Old Chicago was around too even if wasnt that great as i heard. Gives something to do during the cold months.

As someone who now lives in Chicago i really wish Riverview was still around...Great America is an awesome park but it would be nice to have a closer and cheaper park as well.

Yeah, great america is pretty good (it's not great, but "pretty good america" probably wouldn't have satisfied the marketing department), but it's all the way up in freaking Gurnee, a million miles away from anything other than that monstrous outlet mall on the opposite side of the tollway.

If riverview were still around, I could ride my bike over there whenever the mood struck. But such is the story of america. Destroy everything cool and original in our cities just to erect lamer, sanitized versions of the same out in the vast nameless sprawl.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Only one place for myself, and that's the American Adventure Theme Park, which sadly closed it's doors for the last time around a decade ago. This was the park where my love for roller-coasters and amusement parks came to be.

I would rewind back to around 1997 when the park was in it's prime and it was buzzing with excitement and atmosphere. To my first ever roller-coaster which was on a Boomerang coaster called 'The Missile'. (relocated now somewhere in the UK I believe?).

Just looking at the park map from 1997 brings back many memories;

...and my first ever roller-coaster. The Missile;

and still one of my favourite Log Flumes of all time, Nightmare Niagara;

9c0688d90fb70f16de124eca948b4d7a.jpg

And now it lays bare and is to become land for new housing estates...

82323024e30f2df1650dc89dac6ef792.jpg

This place had so much potential. Such a shame. Memories forever though!

I would visit the following parks in order:

Astroworld

Geauga Lake (during the Six Flags era)

Hard Rock Park

SFNO (even though it can be recovered)

And ones that I want to check out the most is Forest Park Highlands and Chain of Rocks at St. Louis.

Forest Park Highlands burned down in 1962 and Chain of Rocks closed in 1978 (probably due to money loss because they could not afford a new wooden coaster (which became Screamin' Eagle at SFSTL))

If I could go back in time, I would like to visit either Crystal Beach located in Crystal Beach, Ontario or Boblo Island located near Amherstburg, Ontario. Both parks appeared to have a nice collection of rides and coasters prior to their closings.

Crystal Beach was pretty cool. Very deco with lots of neon. Went there the last year it was open because my mother had always talked about it as being the go to place when she was a kid growing up in Buffalo. So I could not go, and glad I did go. The setting for Comet was A One. Giant Coaster is the only side friction coaster I have ridden, and it too was good.