TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Pirate Ship Ride?

Now I am curious. Does anyone know of swinging ship rides that go upside down beside the Bezerker at Kings Dominion?

Southern Star at Carowinds and Endeavor at California's Great America.

I've always liked Viking Fury at Kings Island, sitting on the side that swings over the pond. I haven't ridden it in a few years so that may be on my to do list when I go back this year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, I find the Chance Pirate Ships to be superior to other versions of the attraction. In fact, I'd say a well run Chance Pirate Ship is probably my favorite pendulum flat ride (except possibly an S&S Screamin' Swing). I can't think of any particular installations that stand out, though I did enjoy Mayflower at Holiday World last year (probably my favorite flat at the park) and although weaker than most, Dragon Swing at Knott's is the installation I ride most frequently (I love how that ride free swings...not many seem to do that).

Viking Fury at Kings Island is close to my heart. I rode it hundreds of times when I was a kid. It's by far the most beautiful swinging ship I've ever seen with the best setting, and it's nice and big, giving ample opportunity for some air.

My nickname for it is "the screaming contest."

It WAS one of the few Schwarzkopf Pirate Ship Ride that were built:

Santa Maria - Bobbejaanland

It was buttersmooth and so much fun. Sadly, they scraped it in 2007 . The only one remaining of it's kind is in Fantasy Kingdom Park: http://www.fantasy-kingdom.net.bd/adventure-rides.php

For now, I pick Halve Maen in the Efteling. Still one of the better Ship Rides I've ridden.

I would say any travelling model in the Spanish fair circuit. Take for example this "Barca Vikinga":

Not only does it hit 90º but on both ends it has cages for riders to stand in with no restraints at all.

I hated operating the Black Buccaneer at Chessington almost as much as the Dodgems so I can't say I'm a fan of any pirate ships. If we are going on looks though I like the one at Legoland Windsor because it Lego themed

Why? Black Bucaneer was so much fun to ride and I thought that operators at Chessington were allowed to give manual cycles on that ride...

I loved operating the pirate ship at my park on manual mode anyway!

Quassy's ship is a Zamperla, and it's a decent ride from the back seats, though I don't have much to compare to. The remarkable part though, is that I distinctly recall a seat in the back row, right side, that the restraint didn't cover. As in, you could slide your little heiny right on over and be sitting in a position with absolutely no restraint in front of you. Which would be tremendously thrilling, seeing as you get a decent pop of air at the end of each swing.

Now this sounds totally nuts, and I wasn't even going to mention it here, assuming I'm totally not remembering it right, but then I found this...

http://www.adips.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/046-Zamperla-Galleon-Seating-1.pdf

so I may be on to somenthing here...

I love the looping ships. I can, and have, spent basically an entire day spinning round and round on them, reriding over and over again. They're relaxing and thrilling at the same time. I probably like the Intamin ones the best, but Zamperla Hawk (like at Discovery Kingdom), Huss Rangers, and pretty much anything else like that will give me reason to visit a park, or extend my stay.

I just got back from western Japan and rode ジャイアントハンマー (Giant Hammer) which is a swinging ship, at Miroku No Sato. I think I rode one just like it many years ago at Drayton Manor. This one left you hanging upside down for quite a long time a couple times, so it was a lot of fun! If/When I can get back to that region I might go back to the park.

Someone asked about the giant ships in Japan. I've been on a few and they are fun, but because of their size they take longer per swing. That tames them down a little which I guess Japanese people like. You still get that falling sensation, though, and it might be for a little longer time. I think they can seat 200 people per cycle. And I like riding them over and over too.

^From what I've seen on the TPR YouTube channel, seems like a lot of the rides over in Japan are a little more tame (yes, I know there's exceptions... Ie. Ultra twisters)

Not sure why that is, but that might be one of the reasons the "giant" ship thing never caught on here in the west?

Yeah, the rides here are generally pretty tame compared to the States. There are a few standouts at a few parks around Japan, and there's Fuji-Q with its massive lines. I don't believe it's about the "thrill" factor, because regular pirate ship rides are popular enough in the States, especially with kids. I think it's an issue of space-to-interest ratio. Most pirate ship riders in the US are kids, as far as I can remember, while amusement parks in Japan are date destinations and lots of couples (and adults in general) ride the pirate ships. Parks in Japan can use their space (and some of them have a LOT of land) to bring in massive rides that appeal to everyone. It's just a different mentality - can you imagine a pirate ship ride in the US consistently having 200 riders? ... Then again, I've never seen a full pirate ship in Japan either (but I try to visit on the low times).