TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Six Flags Adventure Kingdom

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would figure that because Riverwood Theme Park recieved a plethora of new rides and roller coasters in the 1980s, building another roller coaster and another ride would be the last thing they want to do, right?

WRONG!!! AGAIN!!

1992 brought a small park expansion to the right of the entrance which includes not one, but TWO new attractions for that area! Consisting of the park's eighth roller coaster and very first water-based ride!

The first of the two new attractions is White Water Rapids, which is an Intamin AG river rafting ride. This ride includes various thrilling elements such as rapids, whirlpools, and waterfalls guaranteed to equally soak riders and it marks the first ride built by Intamin at Riverwood Theme Park!

The second attraction however, has a bit of an interesting history behind it...

Circa the early 1990s, when Thunderlooper (Formerly King Kobra at King's Dominion) was erected as a temporary attraction at Alton Towers in the UK, they approached Arrow Dynamics to build an attraction that is large and thrilling, yet didn't break the infamous tree-level height restriction. At the time, Arrow was working on a prototype roller coaster called the "pipeline roller coaster" and was to build the first of it's kind at Alton Towers. However, many issues came about during the development of the coaster, codenamed Secret Weapon 1, such as financail issues from Arrow's end and the project for the first pipeline coaster came to an end....

That is, until Richard Riverwood came into the picture....

When Alton Towers cancelled the SW1 and SW2 projects, Richard Riverwood offered Arrow to build a pipeline coaster at Riverwood Theme Park. Arrow agreed to move their plans for the pipeline coaster from Alton Towers to Riverwood Theme Park....And in 1992, Pipeline was born.

Being the first of it's kind, Richard Riverwood knew he was taking a risk with Pipeline but he was aware of it and didn't care, he wanted a one-of-a-kind coaster at Riverwood Theme Park, and he got it! He expected Pipeline to be very popular among the general public for that reason alone.

But....will the people share the same opinion?

1992 was set up to be a great year for Riverwood Theme Park with the park receiving it's first water ride and a unique, one-of-a-kind steel roller coaster....Unfortunately, that didn't happen....And what resulted was an absolute nightmare for RTP.

The park opened in April for Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays...and Pipeline was open for those weekends...Just three weeks into the 1992 season. A massive stress fracture was found on one of the support beams, forcing the park to close Pipeline temporarily. The repairs took a long period of time to do, which meant that come time time when Riverwood Theme Park is open 7 days a week in May, Pipeline was closed. The closure, combined with no tentative date for reopening, dissapointed many park-goers.

Pipeline reopened in late May. Unfortunately, the problems didn't end there. Critic reviews for the roller coaster were mediocre at best. Riders complained about Pipeline giving a jerky and uncomfortable ride and that it was not worth the weeks of waiting for it to reopen.

As a result, the overall attendance for the park as a whole waned, where once the midways were full, now only few people were walking down the paths and riding the rides. The lack of foot traffic inside the park caused Riverwood Theme Park to lose copious amounts of money...

In seasons past, lines for Rattlesnake used to be hours long, now barely anybody is riding it...

For some odd reason, instead of the park, guests have begun to flock to the zoo and while this photograph looks like the zoo is experiencing a period of success, looks can be deceiving...At that point in time, Riverwood Theme Park wasn't just bleeding money, it was gushing money....Keeping the zoo open is one of the biggest expenses of the park, despite the large crowds.

One of the most telling signs of how much of an expense it was to keep the zoo and the park running was how bad the stations for the old transfer tram system that closed in 1984 looked. By 1992, the consistent lack of groundskeeping in those two areas made it look quite worse for wear. Weeds and vines began to overtake the station, the queue and the surrounding grounds, and the bushes and trees were horribly overgrown.

As much as Richard Riverwood didn't want to face it...His park was in extreme danger, a storm was looming over the horizon and he needed to act fast...

• 2 weeks later...

CLOSURE OF RIVERWOOD ZOO CONFIRMED

After months of observation, it became quite clear that Riverwood Theme Park's money troubles were mostly coming from the expenses made to keep up the zoo...Riverwood Zoo was the pride and joy of Richard Riverwood right from the beginning of when Terrell's Pleasure Park/Fun World was bought by the then-young entrepreneur, Richard Riverwood in the mid 1960s...As a 49 year old man in 1992, he had lots of pride in the fact that his park had become a prime vacation spot with a theme park an a zoo located directly next to each other....

It nearly killed him to make this decision, but like how an injured wolf chews off it's own leg to survive...Richard Riverwood needed to permanently close the zoo at the end of the 1992 season...

The zoo had become extra crowded after it's closure was announced but it was simply too late to save it...

The zoo's various animals were to be given to different zoos around the U.S and given new homes...Even the smallest of animals in the Nocturnal House and Insect House will be given new homes...

The outward goal of the zoo's closure was to save the park...However, it seemed that this park was exiting one nightmare and entering another....

• 2 weeks later...

By the end of 1992, Riverwood Zoo had officially closed down. The animals were brought to different zoos across America as planned and instead of immediately demolishing the zoo, it was instead left standing defunct.

The park then attempted to "cover up" any and all traces of the zoo's existence. The pathway leading to the long-abandoned transfer tram from the park to the zoo and the pathway leading to the bridge between the two parks were both broken up and large trees were planted in order to obscure the guest's views of these abandoned relics of Riverwood Zoo.

Riverwood Zoo was closed in order to save Riverwood Theme Park...However, in the long run it seemed to have done little to no good. Crowds were still incredibly sparse around the park with major roller coasters receiving little to no riders days on end....

Being situated in the rear of the park, Rattlesnake was affected the worst by this. In 1993, it wasn't uncommon to see multiple empty trains stacked up on this ride.

By 1993...Hope was virtually gone for Riverwood Theme Park. The zoo needed to close down in order to save the park, but it soon became evident that it did not help one bit...Only time will tell what will happen to the park, but it seems like time is running out....

RTP Press Conference: June 1993

Richard Riverwood: "Hello everybody....I wish I was speaking to you under happier circumstances, but it seems that is simply not the case...Back in 1964, after my father was arrested, I bought this theme park from him for one reason only...I didn't do it for the money, I didn't do it for the glory...I did it because I wanted to see this park be what it always was before my father took it over...A happy place where everybody goes to have hours and hours of fun and excitement...And my dream was realized. Within a matter of a few years, Riverwood Theme Park was put on the map as a prime location for family fun and thrills, especially after Riverwood Zoo became a reality in 1970. The addition of Serpent, an Anton Schwarzkopf built launched looping roller coaster brought in the adrenaline junkies, which brought in a completely new wave of success for my park...Over the years, I watched this park blossom into something big...Which is why it pains me so much to go through these tumultuous times...Last year, I made the extremely difficult decision to close down Riverwood Zoo due to serious financial issues in the park...I didn't want to close it down, but I felt I had no choice..It was the only thing that could save Riverwood Theme Park as a whole....Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...........Ladies and Gentlemen...It is with a heavy heart that I must announce....Riverwood Theme Park has been put up for sale...The park is scheduled to close indefinitely after Independence Day weekend...My only hope is that another buyer or theme park company with a great vision for the future will carry on my work...As I can no longer do it...."

July 6th was scheduled to be Riverwood Theme Park's very last day of operation...Quite fittingly, the weather that day was a gloomy overcast....

For the first time in quite a while, the park had a decent crowd with long lines on each of the major roller coasters...However, just like with Riverwood Zoo, the large crowds were simply too little too late...The guests tried their best to have fun, however the thought constantly loomed in the back of their minds that this could very well be the last time they ever go on coasters like Rattlesnake and Cobra ever again....

And after July 6th....The dream was officially over....The main entrance to Riverwood Theme Park was boarded up and the big entrance marquee simply displayed the words "Park Closed Today".

Everything at the park was suddenly frozen in time as Riverwood Theme Park became classified as an "abandoned property"

If the worst case scenario were to come true and RTP were to never reopen...Steel roller coasters like Cobra, Steel Sidewinder, Serpent, Junior Serpent, and Pipeline would most likely find new homes in theme parks across the globe...

As for roller coasters such as River Rush, Rattlesnake and the Harry C. Baker legend Bobs, which aren't quite as movable as steel roller coasters...They would most likely be immediately demolished or be fated to waste away in silence with the rest of the park as vines creep up the wooden supports and warp the track layout to the point where these coasters can NEVER operate again.

Future generations would look at the remains of what was once a great American theme park and ask their parents, "What happened to that amusement park? Why isn't it open? Why did they close it?" Questions that will bring back sentimental memories for those who spent their summers at the park....

As the remainder of the summer of 1993 rolled on with Riverwood Theme Park closed, it seemed more and more likely that this scenario would take place...

However...One final hope lied over the horizon.....

The auction.

RTP Press Conference: June 1993

Richard Riverwood: "Hello everybody....I wish I was speaking to you under happier circumstances, but it seems that is simply not the case...Back in 1964, after my father was arrested, I bought this theme park from him for one reason only...I didn't do it for the money, I didn't do it for the glory...I did it because I wanted to see this park be what it always was before my father took it over...A happy place where everybody goes to have hours and hours of fun and excitement...And my dream was realized. Within a matter of a few years, Riverwood Theme Park was put on the map as a prime location for family fun and thrills, especially after Riverwood Zoo became a reality in 1970. The addition of Serpent, an Anton Schwarzkopf built launched looping roller coaster brought in the adrenaline junkies, which brought in a completely new wave of success for my park...Over the years, I watched this park blossom into something big...Which is why it pains me so much to go through these tumultuous times...Last year, I made the extremely difficult decision to close down Riverwood Zoo due to serious financial issues in the park...I didn't want to close it down, but I felt I had no choice..It was the only thing that could save Riverwood Theme Park as a whole....Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...........Ladies and Gentlemen...It is with a heavy heart that I must announce....Riverwood Theme Park has been put up for sale...The park is scheduled to close indefinitely after Independence Day weekend...My only hope is that another buyer or theme park company with a great vision for the future will carry on my work...As I can no longer do it...."

July 6th was scheduled to be Riverwood Theme Park's very last day of operation...Quite fittingly, the weather that day was a gloomy overcast....

For the first time in quite a while, the park had a decent crowd with long lines on each of the major roller coasters...However, just like with Riverwood Zoo, the large crowds were simply too little too late...The guests tried their best to have fun, however the thought constantly loomed in the back of their minds that this could very well be the last time they ever go on coasters like Rattlesnake and Cobra ever again....

And after July 6th....The dream was officially over....The main entrance to Riverwood Theme Park was boarded up and the big entrance marquee simply displayed the words "Park Closed Today".

Everything at the park was suddenly frozen in time as Riverwood Theme Park became classified as an "abandoned property"

If the worst case scenario were to come true and RTP were to never reopen...Steel roller coasters like Cobra, Steel Sidewinder, Serpent, Junior Serpent, and Pipeline would most likely find new homes in theme parks across the globe...

As for roller coasters such as River Rush, Rattlesnake and the Harry C. Baker legend Bobs, which aren't quite as movable as steel roller coasters...They would most likely be immediately demolished or be fated to waste away in silence with the rest of the park as vines creep up the wooden supports and warp the track layout to the point where these coasters can NEVER operate again.

Future generations would look at the remains of what was once a great American theme park and ask their parents, "What happened to that amusement park? Why isn't it open? Why did they close it?" Questions that will bring back sentimental memories for those who spent their summers at the park....

As the remainder of the summer of 1993 rolled on with Riverwood Theme Park closed, it seemed more and more likely that this scenario would take place...

However...One final hope lied over the horizon.....

The auction.

It would be cool if anheusur Busch (don't know how to spell it) bought the park.