TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How reliable are glasses straps on rides?

So I recently got a new pair of glasses and we just fixed the problem with them falling apart constantly so they're now pretty well intact. And this pair can have a strap attached unlike my old pair.

However, my mom doesn't think the strap will keep them on my face and/or the attendant will make me remove them anyway. But, my cousin Ashley put a strap on her glasses when she went to Cedar Point and they stayed on her face and no one said a word to her about it. And plus in several park policies, it says "Glasses must be secured with an elastic strap" which must mean that they can be worn, but only with a strap.

I do want to know though from more people before I attempted this with my 300$ pair (though my mom has insurance, but still). The main reasons being is that I don't have good depth perception without them (wrote about my incident relating to that in my skyscreamer forum) which has lead to several instances of my feet nearly getting caught up in the coaster train. Also, near misses don't really affect me. And I hate when they get put in the bin and stuff gets moved everywhere and I have to dig to find them and everything else not to mention one time I picked up the wrong pair and someone tried to accuse me of stealing theirs.

I will say that I did have an incident happen to me when I was 5 on Disaster Transport where I didn't have a strap and they fell off but I caught then (though a lens popped out), which is why I don't wear them on most rides except for some kiddie coasters like Jr. Gemini and a few family rides like a Himalaya or Tilt A whirl. Although there was a time I forgot to take them off on the Wildcat and they were just fine.

But ya know the whole story now.

Oh and one more thing. Would I look ridiculous or is it barely noticeable?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How tight is it? It's not something we can really help with on an internet forum, but if they feel relatively tight, they're probably okay. FWIW, my glasses aren't very tight at all and I can wear them on anything at my home park without troubles. Then again, my home park doesn't have anything >70MPH.

I have a Cedar Point glasses strap (it says "CP" on it) and it kept my sunglasses secure to my face on Kingda Ka. Not sure I'd want to ride that without some sort of shield for my eyeballs (I have clear glasses, not prescription, for night or sunset riding something super fast).

They'll probably stay on. I'm not going to book that statement though.

I see oodles of people with those straps on in line, as well as out of line. I'm assuming the same pair is on their head before and after.

Don't worry about looking ridiculous. Glasses straps carry mad $wagger. You can rock that look.

I've been using a strap that I bought in Ocean City meant for water. Still been holding up fine. I'll never forget the time that I lost a lens on Maverick though. First turn after the drop loosened it, the following turn launched it off my face. That was fun explaining to my friends how it happened since it was just the one lens. Came back to the station with probably one of the most confused looks on my face.

I bought two pairs of glasses last time I got mine, and I use one of those pairs at the parks—in case I lose them. I use a strap, and I tighten them when i get on a ride and so far, no problems, though I will push my finger to the bridge if I feel the ride is really aggressive (Maverick).

I've been using various glasses straps for years now, and I've never lost my glasses on any ride. I wouldn't worry at all about them because it doesn't sound like your glasses are light-weight or flimsy. In my experience, the lighter weight the glasses, the more likely they are to fall off. If you're concerned about having to take them off, I'd bring a case that you (or whom your riding with) can easily identify if placed in the bin or can fit inside of a closed pocket.

I've been using a strap that I bought in Ocean City meant for water. Still been holding up fine. I'll never forget the time that I lost a lens on Maverick though. First turn after the drop loosened it, the following turn launched it off my face. That was fun explaining to my friends how it happened since it was just the one lens. Came back to the station with probably one of the most confused looks on my face.

Sounds a bit like my Disaster Transport incident only they fell off my face but I caught them in my hands but a lens still came out. Luckily we told Lost and found and they mailed it back to us 3 weeks later at no charge!

I bought two pairs of glasses last time I got mine, and I use one of those pairs at the parks—in case I lose them. I use a strap, and I tighten them when i get on a ride and so far, no problems, though I will push my finger to the bridge if I feel the ride is really aggressive (Maverick).

Haha on a ride like Maverick, your head could possibly be a loose article but that's what makes it fun! It's my favorite roller coaster I've ridden to date!

I ride with $200-$330 dollar pairs of sunglasses all the time with a strap and I have never lost them. For the last 5 years I have been using a strap I bought at Sunglass Hut that can be used for sun glasses or regular glasses. Been on all the rides at Cedar Point with them so that gives you and idea of what type of forces the strap has faced and no losses yet. If it is snug before the ride you should be good.

I've been using various glasses straps for years now, and I've never lost my glasses on any ride. I wouldn't worry at all about them because it doesn't sound like your glasses are light-weight or flimsy. In my experience, the lighter weight the glasses, the more likely they are to fall off. If you're concerned about having to take them off, I'd bring a case that you (or whom your riding with) can easily identify if placed in the bin or can fit inside of a closed pocket.

Haha I will need to find one of my pairs of shorts or pants with the button pockets. Even then I might squish them (happened before). And I don't think my case could fit in my pocket but I could always make a glasses case Keychain (I make all kinds of gadgets like that) and clip it on my belt!

I ride with $200-$330 dollar pairs of sunglasses all the time with a strap and I have never lost them. For the last 5 years I have been using a strap I bought at Sunglass Hut that can be used for sun glasses or regular glasses. Been on all the rides at Cedar Point with them so that gives you and idea of what type of forces the strap has faced and no losses yet. If it is snug before the ride you should be good.

And I guess no one said anything to you either. My mom said they definitely will make me remove them on Dragster, but my cousin Ashley even rode Dragster with them and had no one say anything to her, so I guess your case is exactly the same as Ashley's.

I'm feeling a bit more confident now.

And I guess no one said anything to you either. My mom said they definitely will make me remove them on Dragster, but my cousin Ashley even rode Dragster with them and had no one say anything to her, so I guess your case is exactly the same as Ashley's.

I have always been able to keep them on for TTD, Maverick. MF, etc. Unless things have changed since 2013 they will let you use them also. The most that ever happens to me is that they ask me to turn my head so they can see and confirm that I do have a strap attached and that it is snug. At my home park VF they ALWAYS check to make sure I have the glasses secured with a strap when riding Steel Venom and have never asked me to take them off and that ride has some forces on the launch. From my experience this is how all CF parks operate and I have never been asked to remove them at a Six Flags park either as long as I have them secured.

At all of the major parks, the most a ride op will ask you about your glasses is to show them that they're secured. Hell, most of the time they don't say anything at all. Here in the US, the concept of a glasses strap is well-known, and most parks understand that your glasses are no longer a loose article when they're strapped. If you start doing a lot of International travel for coasters, you're going to run into incidents where you'll have to remove them, regardless of the strap.

I have always been able to keep them on for TTD, Maverick. MF, etc. Unless things have changed since 2013 they will let you use them also. The most that ever happens to me is that they ask me to turn my head so they can see and confirm that I do have a strap attached and that it is snug. At my home park VF they ALWAYS check to make sure I have the glasses secured with a strap when riding Steel Venom and have never asked me to take them off and that ride has some forces on the launch. From my experience this is how all CF parks operate and I have never been asked to remove them at a Six Flags park either as long as I have them secured.

Ashley went in 2014. So I guess not. And I think I remember back in 2009 riding Dragster an attendant asked a girl sitting behind me to remove her glasses and she informed her that it had a strap and the attendant told her "oh okay, nevermind. Sorry about that." (The staff at CP are really nice). And I know it says to have a strap, on the sign by Dragster, so idk what my mom was talking about. But how do I get her to let me?

At all of the major parks, the most a ride op will ask you about your glasses is to show them that they're secured. Hell, most of the time they don't say anything at all. Here in the US, the concept of a glasses strap is well-known, and most parks understand that your glasses are no longer a loose article when they're strapped. If you start doing a lot of International travel for coasters, you're going to run into incidents where you'll have to remove them, regardless of the strap.

Yeah I heard. Probably won't be doing international anytime soon (my Aunt Missy told me I have to hit up all the parks in the US before I can do that.). But it's good to know ahead of time and I'll make sure I have a secure sturdy place to put them just in case. And I might do a "crash test" with a strap where I shake my head violently and move every which way in a sense that if they don't have a strap. And probably the first few coasters I go on with them I'll keep my hands by my face in case they slip (might actually try a more aggressive ride for that so I can feel more confident on tamer ones if all goes well).

When I was younger I would often ride with sunglasses, and never once used a strap. Funny thing is that in all the years I did that, I only lost a single pair and that was on Flashback at SFMM. The train jerked forward which knocked them loose, and then went into one of it's dive turns and they flew off. Beyond that I never had a problem. Now today I wouldn't risk losing a pair of glasses so if I wore them on a ride it would be with a strap. That being said, I normally bypass sunglasses at parks.

How tight is it? It's not something we can really help with on an internet forum, but if they feel relatively tight, they're probably okay. FWIW, my glasses aren't very tight at all and I can wear them on anything at my home park without troubles. Then again, my home park doesn't have anything >70MPH.

I'm just asking about people who have used them is all.

I have a Cedar Point glasses strap (it says "CP" on it) and it kept my sunglasses secure to my face on Kingda Ka. Not sure I'd want to ride that without some sort of shield for my eyeballs (I have clear glasses, not prescription, for night or sunset riding something super fast).

Hopefully they didn't make fun of you for having Cedar Fair property on Six Flags property

As for that I think it's only in the front where it's a major concern but I know on Formula Rossa they make everyone wear goggles.

What's rides and did it have those rounded ear pieces?

Not rounded, but they slant down a bit behind the ears. I've been on rides like X, Kingda Ka, Goudurix, Leviathan, Sheikra, etc with no problem.

Just depends on your comfort level. I always get my glasses a bit snug. When I had a slightly heavier and loosier pair of glasses, I used a strap on some rides just in case. Once I was white water rafting and fell out of the raft, and the strap kept my glasses on. So I think you're fine on any roller coaster.

I've ridden a wide variety of coasters with and without straps with no problem. Six Flags doesn't care one way or another (from my experience). I've ridden everything at SFDK and SFMM without straps and have never had any problems. With straps, I've ridden all the rides at: Cedar Point (including TTD), Hershey Park, Knoebels, Dorney Park, Busch Gardens (both), Kings Dominion, and SFGAdv. No ride ops objected, and my glasses stayed firmly on my face. The only time I've ever been asked to remove my glasses was on Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm, and that was right after the Intamin cable incident, and the park was simply reacting to that. That's my experience.