TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2015 March Madness Thread

Hi everyone, I'm sure we have a lot of college basketball fans on the forums here so I thought I'd start a TPR March Madness thread where you can post your entire brackets, predictions, who you thought should have / should not have been in, everything! Maybe we could even start a TPR tournament challenge on ESPN just for fun!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that for how much money the players drive in for the schools, which is an incredible amount, they should probably be better compensated. But if playing college sports is as excruciating as this video makes it seem, then why are there so many student athletes? The main thing is that most athletes can't work because of sports commitments, so they should be compensated for that. The NCAA has become a big business, but the players seem to be doing fine. How many players have spoken out about how miserable life is playing a college sport? Not many. Another thing to consider is that there has to be regulation on the payment of student athletes because otherwise big schools would essentially be able to buy the best players and small schools would be left in the dust. My viewpoint is that because college sports are essentially as popular as pro sports these days, and drive in nearly as much money, why not pay players like semi-professional athletes. So yes, I think college athletes should be paid, but I think that video blows things out of proportion.

• 2 weeks later...

^Boo. Go Cats! But as an alum of the University of Kentucky of course I am going to feel that way. I got to sit court side at our 2012 National Championship game and I'm excited we're back in the Final Four with a chance to go 40-0. I am very nervous about Wisconsin though, such a great team that can knock us off if we aren't on our A game. Go Cats!

That was a pretty crazy last 5 minutes of officiating...

But aside from the WTF calls or non calls that both teams benefited from...it was a good game. I think Kentucky choked because they finally matched up with a team that could outwork them and their superior talent level couldn't offset that.

But aside from the WTF calls or non calls that both teams benefited from...it was a good game. I think Kentucky choked because they finally matched up with a team that could outwork them and their superior talent level couldn't offset that.

In pre-game one analyst called out Devin Booker's weak defense and I have to be honest, I never noticed it before but the Badgers did seem to take it to Booker.

It is hard to get a true feel for the personalities of celebrities and athletes. but I've never liked the Harrison brothers and I think Andrew showed his true colors after the game skipping the handshake and his press conferences comments when he thought the mic was off. Not to be completely anti-Kentucky, I really like Willie Cauley Stein and Karl Anthony Towns.

The game last night was proof that the one-and-done system that Kentucky employs won't win you much in the end. Kentucky's superstar freshmen went up against a Wisconsin group thats been together for a few years, and gave UK the outcome they deserved. Calipari's recruiting system has ruined college basketball, IMO.

The game last night was proof that the one-and-done system that Kentucky employs won't win you much in the end. Kentucky's superstar freshmen went up against a Wisconsin group thats been together for a few years, and gave UK the outcome they deserved. Calipari's recruiting system has ruined college basketball, IMO.

I'm sorry but this is bull. I know I am extremely biased because I went to UK, but honestly I hated what was happening at first when Calipari arrived. I was not a fan of kids coming in and leaving, especially when it seemed like every recruit that came in left right away. But in reality we don't employ a One and Done system. Why did we the title in 2012? Because kids came back. Not really the definition of a one and done system. This is the worst year anyone can make this statement about UK. Cauley-Stein and Poythress (Juniors), Harrison Twins, Johnson, and Lee all came back. Not really the definition of one and done...When the draft arrives this summer, I expect only one Kentucky freshman to be drafted. Why would Towns not leave when he is almost guaranteed to be a top 2 pick? His stock will never be higher. One and dones are not ruining the game and after all, Kentucky isn't the only one doing this...Duke will have more one and dones this year but it's okay for them to do that because it's not Kentucky. I do wish the NBAPA would change their rules but it is what it is. The game has changed, and I'm sorry that Calipari recruits better than anyone else. Last night sucked, it was a tough loss to take but this team was 38-0. No one had ever done that before. Last time I checked this was great for college basketball, more eyes had been on this tournament than ever before.

Sorry rant over.

In pre-game one analyst called out Devin Booker's weak defense and I have to be honest, I never noticed it before but the Badgers did seem to take it to Booker.

It is hard to get a true feel for the personalities of celebrities and athletes. but I've never liked the Harrison brothers and I think Andrew showed his true colors after the game skipping the handshake and his press conferences comments when he thought the mic was off. Not to be completely anti-Kentucky, I really like Willie Cauley Stein and Karl Anthony Towns.

Agreed, Devin Booker was awful and I couldn't figure out why they kept him in so long. He had been okay throughout the season, but Wisconsin had too many great offensive options and really exposed his weakness. I also am very disappointed with Andrew, there is no need for that crap. I know you're upset but that was unnecessary and I lost a lot of respect for him. I wouldn't mind seeing him leave now.

Wisconsin wanted it more last night and they are to be congratulated on a great victory. UK had the chance to seal the victory up but those THREE straight shot clock violations were just pathetic. And the officiating didn't matter, yes that was a shot clock violation and would have changed how the rest of the game would have been played out but UK didn't make the shots it needed to when they had the chance. It was a great season, still love my Cats.

^I don't think ratings are accurate way to define whether or not the state of college basketball is healthy or not. Especially when they put the game on like 8 different networks...

There is an argument to be made that relying TOO heavily on highly touted freshmen will not lead to success because basketball is so dependent upon chemistry. You can have all the talent in the world, but until you know where all your teammates will be on the floor at all times, can communicate defensive switches, and so on...you're at a disadvantage.

Edited by Jew

^That is true but the "pursuit of perfection" did spice things up a bit and bring a lot of attention to the college game.

I also agree that yes we rely on our freshmen, but I do think this team had quite a bit of good chemistry. Last night they were not on their "A" game, Wisconsin was. Losing once in 39 games seems like they do understand their teammates, their assignments, and their communication responsibilities, they just didn't execute last night. Wisconsin was just really smart to keep switching Kaminsky on to Booker, who wouldn't want that matchup...well except for UK fans. I'm just mad the coaches didn't take Booker out sooner.

^Honestly, most of their games were blowouts from the talent disparity. Towns, Cauley-Stein, & Lyles are all lottery picks. Booker probably goes in the first round too. Harrison bro's are likely 2nd round picks. The "close calls" finally caught up with them.